PROJECT PHOENIX indie JRPG (w/Nobuo Uematsu as lead composer)!

Liontamer

Project Phoenix, based in Tokyo, has JUST launched its Kickstarter efforts to make an indie JRPG. We're hoping to raise the $100,000 we're seeking in funding to secure the 3D modeling for the game, which itself is currently in the very early stages of development (and shooting for a mid-2015 release). Right now, you can check out the team and the early concept work and see if you'd like to get on board.

The FAQ goes over some common questions like "Why only $100K for a game Kickstarter?" (the team will be paid after it comes out, and $100,000 is not the budget to make the entire game, it's primarily for the modeling) and "Why's the lead character named Ruffles?" (It's fun!), so be sure to check that and the rest of the information out.

That said, we've got a great, diverse team in place, including Final Fantasy series composer Nobuo Uematsu (his first-ever indie game he's agreed to work on, even before Oceanhorn), as well as Metal Gear Solid V vocalist Donna Burke (her work on the "Sins of the Father" trailer is incredible), and several artists, programmers and developers with experience from the Final Fantasy series, The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, Valkyria Chronicles, L.A. Noire, Diablo III, Halo 4, Crysis 3, and several more top game titles, as well as films and anime.

I'm also on board as part of the Community Team, and would sincerely appreciate you checking out what's been cooked up so far. We're already more than 50% of the way to the goal in the first 6 hours, but we feel a project like this hearkening back to old-school JRPGs should interest a lot of people so we're hoping to hit some stretch goals to expand the scope of the project. If you're able to spread the word about Project Phoenix, I'd greatly appreciate it!

There's also a chance OC ReMix could get involved in some form making some music, and that's of course music to my ears since OCR came out with a not-too-shabby tribute to Final Fantasy VI last month. :-)

img_header1.jpg

Edited by Liontamer

• 4 weeks later...

Not to piss on the parade, but the stretch goals seem so arbitrary. So, for $2,175,000 they will implement "advanced skill trees", but for a paltry $1,650,000 they won't. So if they only get 2m (you know, walking around money), sorry people, only basic skill trees for you. And they can't possibly implement a "new class and character" until you get to the lofty heights of $3,425,000. So if you don't give them millions of extra dollars the game system will be subpar, compared to what it could be.

Alright, commence the pile-on.

Not to piss on the parade, but the stretch goals seem so arbitrary. So, for $2,175,000 they will implement "advanced skill trees", but for a paltry $1,650,000 they won't. So if they only get 2m (you know, walking around money), sorry people, only basic skill trees for you. And they can't possibly implement a "new class and character" until you get to the lofty heights of $3,425,000. So if you don't give them millions of extra dollars the game system will be subpar, compared to what it could be.

Alright, commence the pile-on.

Kickstarter goals seeming arbitrary is nothing new, so I'm not surprised by anyone saying that. We're a team of 26 and no one's doing this as a full-time gig, so we actually do need additional funding to justify and come through with expanding the scope. The game system won't be "subpar" just because we're not at XYZ dollar amount, that's your framing it negatively. The Kickstarter was actually started just to raise funding for 3D modeling help that we definitely needed to hire outside help for, so we would have been happy with the game with the vision and scope of the game without having reached the higher goals.

Not trying to place us on the same footing, but Super Mario Bros. 1, Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and Final Fantasy I all started without having every feature known to man, and those were awesome games that paved the way. But having more funding does enable us to have more time to develop further features, and the ability to hire additional help as needed to bring those things into the first game rather than later. Designing an inherently subpar/incomplete game that was dependent on hitting stretch goals would be stupid. W're not claiming to NEED all the features laid out in all of the stretch goals just to have a worthwhile experience.

On the OCR side, we've already learned that a successful Kickstarter raises a lot of funding but that funding goes pretty quickly due to fees & missed payments, and a large chunk basically needing to be held in escrow to pay for physical product development and shipping, which always turns out to be a huge cost. So as fun and decadent as it would be for the aim to be Scrooge McDuck money piles and greed as far as the goals put there, it's recognizing that in order to add more ideas to this initial game, we need funding to secure additional time from our team and get great outside help. That doesn't preclude exploring the prospective stretch goal features in a follow-up to Project Phoenix provided the first is successful, that's been the plan all along, i.e. if we can't do it this time around, it's on the table for the next project. :-)

Larry you're on the staff right? You could tell them to issue less updates, make sure they're important. 25 updates before the goal is hit is ridiculous, I had to block the updates and I'll probably end up missing something important in a year or 2 when they start asking for important details. :cry:
I'm right there with Mr. Strader. Info is good, but the frequency of updates on this project is getting annoying.

How dare we let people know what's happening? :tomatoface:

I'll pass it on, but ignore at your own risk. If you miss something important, that's definitely your fault. :lol:

Two or three updates in a day, which has happened more than once, is a bit excessive, but it's not that big a deal. Certainly not something worth blocking the emails over.

It'd probably be better if each update during the course of a day were consolidated into a single daily update. 1 update a day is more than plenty. It really seems a little disorganized (and this is something I need to work on for my own work) and inefficient to have so many releases so often.