Where can I find examples of how a Remixer makes their songs

I have read some tutorials on this site, and they are really good. I understand them completly, but I need to practice a little more. I have been playing with MIDI and sound for years, and understand how to do a lot of stuff with sound.

My main thing is, where can I find examples of how a OCRemixer, like Jeremy Soule or Russel Cox, does their songs? Like midi's, tutorials, screenshots, a site that explains what software they use, if they use soundfonts, vst's, mods, ect.

Also, what software has the capabilities that are required to make quaility songs? I know it's the artist and not the software that makes the song, but some software just doesn't have what it takes.

This is what I have:

Sound Blaster 24-Bit with soundfont support.

Mod trakers, e.g. Skale(it's pretty cool)

512 RAM

Total Recorder

Cakewalk Plasma

Audicity

Is my machince capable of making good quality music?

Do you have any tips or tricks that can make a song better? For example, editing the velocity to make a more natural sound, adding some reverb, etc.

Thanks, and, nice site.

I'm not sure if you're actually going to get answers, but your best bet is to actually ask the remixers themselves. If they have time, they'll probably give you some tips on what to do, if not go in-depth on how they do what.

And as far as software goes, I highly recommend Fruity Loops (now known as FL Studio). It's easy to use, has the ability to render MIDIs, has its own VSTs (and VSTi's), and can export in MIDI, WAV, or MP3 format. The only problem is it tends to get expensive if you try to buy it retail (look for wholesalers online. I happened to to find the $800 Macromedia Flash v8 Professional, a computer graphics software, for just $250.). I'd say, though, that you can make quality music with the stuff you've got. I know I can with the stuff I have floating around my computer (still waiting on judgment for my latest possible ReMix).

Like midi's, tutorials, screenshots, a site that explains what software they use

A good composer does not depend on software.

if they use soundfonts, vst's, mods, ect.

When you want to use multi-layered and very realistic orchestral sounds, soundfonts and mods pretty much are out of the question - not in the last place because stuff like Sziedlacek or Garritan simply does not come in another format.

Also, what software has the capabilities that are required to make quaility songs?

Which one of those can handle VSTs?

(cue default warning for Soundblasters).

Do you have any tips or tricks that can make a song better? For example, editing the velocity to make a more natural sound, adding some reverb, etc.

What you are talking about does not make the song better; it alters individual parts to enhance realism or suggest depth. The overall song won't get better, but the part where you apply it to might.

Yeah, not only is it impossible to summarize, I think you're better off with instructional DVDs or tutorials for the (more) popular sequencers.

I have read some tutorials on this site, and they are really good. I understand them completly, but I need to practice a little more. I have been playing with MIDI and sound for years, and understand how to do a lot of stuff with sound.

My main thing is, where can I find examples of how a OCRemixer, like Jeremy Soule or Russel Cox, does their songs? Like midi's, tutorials, screenshots, a site that explains what software they use, if they use soundfonts, vst's, mods, ect.

Also, what software has the capabilities that are required to make quaility songs? I know it's the artist and not the software that makes the song, but some software just doesn't have what it takes.

This is what I have:

Sound Blaster 24-Bit with soundfont support.

Mod trakers, e.g. Skale(it's pretty cool)

512 RAM

Total Recorder

Cakewalk Plasma

Audicity

Thanks, and, nice site.

First thing... learn a program. You probably won't make any music, but you'll learn some fundamentals. Once you understand the basic terminology, then you can read something like Zircon's Remixing Tips Compendium.

Also, if you choose a particular program, you should be able to find sample song sources to grab and download. Some remixers are willing to share their source files if you ask them. I don't suspect that Jeremy Soule's going to give you source files anytime soon, but keep an eye out. Many remixers on this site are extremely accessible and are glad to talk about their craft, provided that you demonstrate a willingness to learn and a dedication to practicing.

I would say, instead of asking us which sequencer are like 'OMG TEH SHIT'... Go try some yourself...

Download some trials (FL Studio, Cubase, Reason, Logic, etc), and try 'em. After playin' with them you'll probably know what you like...

Nobody can exactly tell u how they make their songs, and above all that, you can try that but I don't think it will work, its about finding your own working method, and creating your own style.

The closest thing you can find are those Reason files, there's a topic about it here somewhere.

Hope you find what you need.

Thank you very much for all the replys.

Quote:

if they use soundfonts, vst's, mods, ect.

When you want to use multi-layered and very realistic orchestral sounds, soundfonts and mods pretty much are out of the question - not in the last place because stuff like Sziedlacek or Garritan simply does not come in another format.

So, is there any free software that can use VST's?

Quote:

(cue default warning for Soundblasters).

Yeah, Soundblasters arn't what they used to be.

First thing... learn a program. You probably won't make any music, but you'll learn some fundamentals. Once you understand the basic terminology, then you can read something like Zircon's Remixing Tips Compendium.

Well, I know how to use the programs that are in my list programs rather well. And I've read that tips Compendium.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Thank you very much for all the replys.

No. But the treshold to get something like FL Studio is ridiculously low if you compare it with what stuff costed in the 80's or even the early 90's.

http://www.xt-hq.com/ is also an option.

Yeah, Soundblasters arn't what they used to be.

Thing is, they never were much to start with ;). The GUS could eat it raw but failed because Gravis didn't take up with the wavetable stuff and had a ridiculous 1 meg memory limit.

that's not entirely true yoozer, iirc ModPlug tracker and MT2 are both VSTi capable.

that energyXT thing actually looks pretty freakin' sweet though (specifically the groove stuff) OMG GRUV BIAS

if somebody was hell bent on remixing for free, i suppose they could also a free midi sequencer like such, and run the midi through a free vst host (such as tobybear's minihost-which is pretty f'ing sweet if i do say so myself. very little overhead) and use the built in wav recorder. you could even then run the resulting .wav through minihost again with some processing vst. the problem with doing this is you can't do any real mixing/mastering (unless there's some free multitrack editing suite that i don't know about).

Buzzmachines is free AND can use VST's (I think one of the plug-in's for it can load VST's). However, the learning curve is really high. Refer to Hornpipe's "Mixing for Free" guide if you have no money to spend and a lot of patience.

http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23568

After that you might refer to Zircon's Remixing Tips thread:

http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=68216

I could help you find the right software to purchase, but that depends on your budget, what style you're going for, etc. Chances are, if you try to do this for free, your music isn't going to sound very good (although a talented and trained producer can make almost any kind of software sound good, although probably not great).

i remember there was a time when someone was going to host "how i made this remix!" tutorials, and Matthew was going to share his "ocean palace wavebreaker" remix, because it was buzz D:

i'm not an OCReMixer, but if you want, i can go through some of my .flp files, and make up some tutorials with them (like how Toby did the TS404 tutorial)

but it may be a few months before i can get them back to you ;p

Well, I know how to use the programs that are in my list programs rather well. And I've read that tips Compendium.

Then you're seriously best off starting with the programs you've already used, unless there's some serious deficiencies with them that prevent extendability. After you make a few songs that you're happy with, you can begin deciding if the program that you know is too limiting for your purposes.