13/8 (and other time signatures from the oblivion)

indeed. 9/8 can be 'felt' as 3/4 with triplet feel, just like 6/4 can be felt as 4/4 with triplet feel.

Not 6/4. 12/8.

Precisely.

Now, sine we are on the subject of meter signatures, I want to see if anybody can guess the meter signatures in this song:

http://doulifee.com/prc/Orc/ORC43/ORC43_Chavous_-_Jestoslounge.mp3

I'll just warn you: they are insane meters.

• 8 months later...
What makes it 14/8, as opposed to 7/4, or 7/8?

The same thing that makes 3/4 different from 6/8. It depends where your accents are. In 3/4 its 3 quarter note beats, wheras in 6/8 its grouped in 2 sets of 3 eighth notes. One has two accents per bar, and one has three.

I can't say what it is for 14/8 though. Maybe two groups of 7 quavers :/.

Also prizm: Dance of eternity is the best song ever written with odd time signatures. I learnt the whole damn thing, it's so awesome to play.

• 2 weeks later...

I came across a rather bizarre time signature while studying some early baroque music the other day. It uses a proportional time signature more common in earlier music: Mensural_proportion4.gif

The actual time signature translates to 6/1. It can get somewhat confusing since I'm used to the whole rest having a value of 4 beats in the usual common time, so reading them as just a single beat of rest is odd.

Oh, and ya'll might be interested in checking this out:

List of musical works in unusual time signatures