Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

So the next game in the Super Smash Bros series will be revealed at E3, as a Wii launch title, hopefully.

So I thought it would be a good time to share our thoughts on the franchise.

This thread is about Super Smash Bros. : Talk about your greatest moments in SSBM, your reaction to the original SSB, your predictions on the next one, how there are too many clones in SSBM, and how the original looks so goddamned awful nowadays. :)

Also, post your favorite "game modes" for SSBM here. The game can be altered in many ways, from the number of items to the damage you give to the teams and toughness of the battles. Since there are several modifications to the main Vs mode (Giant Melee, Super Sudden Death, Tiny Melee...) these settings can be tweaked and rules created by yourselves in order to create different "game modes"

There are some examples on the end of the instruction booklet, such as Projectile Melee:

In projectile melee, only projectile wielding characters are allowed (Samus, Link, Yoshi, Fox...) and it's played in Stamina Mode. The arena must be one with lots of "cover" such as Onnet or Brinstar Depths. Players fight using only projectiles to damage the opponent as they try to lower their HP to zero. Restrictions can also be made to prevent the use of reflecting sheilds. All items are firing weapons.

You can come up with your one modes, from simple ones, like restricting everything non-Mario related, to complex ones, such as a Trainer battle one.

In this one, there must be 4 players fighting. The arena is irrelevant, but Pokemon Stadium is the preferred one. Players are divided into 2 teams, each composing of a player using a non-pokemon character, and another using a pokemon. The non-poke ones go to the corners of the arena, while the other 2 fight. Set the lives to 99, but theoretically, the non-pokes are only allowed to have 3. So once they lose 3 lives, the battle is over.

The pokemons fight until one of them dies. When this happens, the "Trainer" must replace him for 30 seconds (or more) taking hits from both the opposing pokemon and trainer. If he kills the opposing trainer during this period, this does not count to the opposing one's life total.

As soon as one of the trainers loses all their lives, the other team is declared victor.

Your turn now. Come up with new modes, talk about the series and speculate away about the next SSB. :wink:

Also, after the unveiling of Super Smash Bros. Online (Wii?), use this thread to discuss the new changes made to the game.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl possible character list (updated by arashi):

Bowser

Baby Bowser

Captain Falcon

DeDeDe

Donkey Kong

Dr. Mario

Falco

Fox

Ganondorf/Aghanim

Ice Climbers

Jigglypuff

Kirby

Link

Luigi

Mario

Marth

Metaknight

Mewtwo

Mr. Game & Watch

Ness

Pichu

Pikachu

Pit

Princess Peach

Ridley

Roy

Samus/Sero Suit Samus

Snake

Young Link -> WW Link

Wario

Zelda/Sheik

You really think they will show the next smashbros at this e3? Sounds doubtful....

When they revealed the Wii at E3 last year, they said they were trying to have SSB as a launch title. Even if it's not, I'm almost 100% certain some info or footage of it will be released.

This thread is about Super Smash Bros. : Talk about your greatest moments in SSBM, your reaction to the original SSB, your predictions on the next one, how there are too many clones in SSBM, and how the original looks so goddamned awful nowadays. :)

Back when it was first released, I used to rent Super Smash Bros. everyweek. I probably spent enough to have actually bought it... but I was just a stupid high school kid. After playing Melee all these years, I went back to try the original again. Not only does it not look so hot, it doesn't play that great either.

Super Smash Bros. Melee improved upon every single aspect of the original. I'm really excited to see whether or not the Smash Bros. Wii can improve upon Melee. The first way they can do that is to have Pit as playable character!

The first way they can do that is to have Pit as playable character!

I got to thinking what would happen if they placed Ash in the game. I know it's stupid, and he'd suck, but I thought about it because the pokeballs look huge in the game. If they placed Ash in the game, they'd have to make him big enough to enable him to put his fingers around the pokeball, meaning he'd have to be bigger then Bowser. His attack would be screaming I CHOOSE YOU PIKACHU at the top of his lounges for projectile damage.

Better yet, replace Roy with Eliwood. Or leave him in, that's what they'll do. Nintendo won't dare take anyone out, since each character is someone's favorite. I'm thinking 40+ characters, I hope it doesn't ruin it.

EDIT: FIX SHEIK DAMMIT!

He was overpowered in SSB, and more regularized in SSBM. Still not bad, I'm able of kicking some ass with him. The worst thing was replacing his running+A attack with the lame fireball. I was driven out of the arena so many times by that...

I still say out loud "KIRBY AIRLINES!" whenever I do the up+grab with him though...

Favorite moments (in no particular order):

1. Coming back from 5-1 down against a friend in a stock battle to beat him.

2. Beating a friend in a stock battle without taking a hit.

3. Doing a 99 lives stock battle against a friend and defeating him with 79 lives remaining.

4. Any time I killed someone with Mr. Saturn in SSBM.

Worst moment: Being killed by Mr. Saturn in SSBM. I was the last of my friends to be killed by him and I proclaimed that I would never be killed by Mr. Saturn. I was humbled that day.

My favorite moments:

-Winning a four player, 5 stock game when I only had 2 lives left and everyone else had 4.

-Killing my friend when he lunged at me because the hammer I'd just picked up's head fell off, simply by luring him to the edge in Venom, jumping onto and Arwing that proceeded in going to the upper wing. He was Luigi and he'd used the headbutt attack to try and KO me.

-Winning the 1-hour four player battle we made.

-Not wining, but playing a 3-HOUR battle. It was awesome, we started by playing it for real, but as time went by we left the game running while one went to the bathroom, made mine fields with prox mines, and generally just fooled around. We used pikachu as a punching bag.

SSB:DS FTW

I think we'll have to wait for a Game Boy with an analog stick. Super Smash Bros. isn't anything without the smashing.

Double-tap. Press on the D-pad once for regular, double-tap for smash. Kirby Super Star and Castlevania: CotM used it rather well (only for dashing, though), so I don't see how or why it wouldn't be used in a SSB game for DS.

SSB:DS FTW

I think we'll have to wait for a Game Boy with an analog stick. Super Smash Bros. isn't anything without the smashing.

Double-tap. Press on the D-pad once for regular, double-tap for smash. Kirby Super Star and Castlevania: CotM used it rather well (only for dashing, though), so I don't see how or why it wouldn't be used in a SSB game for DS.

Point conceded. I did like how the double-tap worked for dashing in Super Star.

Since I came to college, I've gotten pretty good at Melee, using mainly Peach, Mewtwo, Ganon and Luigi. I pride myself on being able to use over half the characters well, though.

This semester, however, my suitemates brought an N64 with SSB, and it's really strange. They, of course, love that one much more because the learning curve is a lot shorter than SSBM. Spiking people with Ness or Kirby is way too easy. However, I've started playing it a lot too, and it's really fun because of the straightforward nature of the game. Sure, it's way unbalanced, but that just makes it even cooler when I kill Kirby with DK.

Melee is still the best, though. Now that I can FINALLY fend off my friend with Sheik (so queer) it's gotten a lot more enjoyable. We're having a tournament this summer, hopefully.

PS NINTENDO, make the HP level adjustable!

Funny, I just got done playing some ANTI-projectile mode today: we used only characters without weapons/projectiles, and no items.

I'm just waiting to see the new one, but I do hope there are a few new characters. Here are some suggestions:

- R.O.B.

- Diddy Kong

- There will undoubtedly be at least one new pokemon

- Someone from the Fire Emblem games from GBA, preferably Hector (He's got an axe...which is sweet) or the brother from Sacred Stones (I SO want to play with his lance............that sounded SO wrong...........)

- I also think it would be cool, though unlikely, to have a mage from FE. Magic FTW.

Personally, I like the original better (probably because I am freaking god-like at it, but still). It's slower-paced, more fun combos, you can actually tell what is going on too. Don't get me wrong, I loved SSBM, but I loved the original more.