R.I.P. Robin Williams

Meteo Xavier

I'm glad I watched World's Greatest Dad years earlier. It would be impossible for me to watch it now, given the new context. (film spoiler follows) Oddly enough I was debating with someone back then whether the film would have worked better with a tragic ending -- I incorrectly predicted that Williams' character would kill himself when he runs to the swimming pool at the end, thus giving him the posthumous version of the literary fame he always wanted. It's insanely portentous thinking back on that conversation.

But anyway, this has been a profound loss.

On the topic of Williams' movies; I saw Mrs. Doubtfire for the first time last night and I loved it. I plan on watching Patch Adams and later maybe Jack. I also really need to give Good Will Hunting a watch. What would you guys say was his best performance, comedic and/or serious?

Oh man, I would love to be able to watch Mrs. Doubtfire for the first time again. I think his most iconic roles really depend on how old you are, but my favorites are (barring Mrs. D)Hook, Jumanji, Dead Poets Society, and The Birdcage. I'm sure I'm leaving some out...

Also, his performance "Live on Broadway" is piss-yourself hilarious, if a bit crude at times. Just don't watch it with your mom.

Edited by Soul Splint

Yeah I'm not thrilled my mini-shrine to one of my favorite entertainers is being used to cockfight about depression and who doesn't understand what.

Seriously, take your beliefs/opinions/philosophies regarding depression to a private message or some shit, and stop tainting what was meant to be a tribute thread to one of the greatest comedians who ever lived and who tragically took his own life. This has turned repulsive.

when you're depressed, you apparently take credit for every negative thing that happens around you, but don't take credit for anything positive.

To put it into perspective, If you couldn't find enjoyment about anything with your life, couldn't even bring yourself to get out of bed because you're so depressed, believe everyone hates you and are painfully aware that you're negatively affecting everyone around you like a virus...

well this sounds painfully familiar. :-/

Could we please get a mod to clean up this thread? While I know that depression and Mr. William's death go hand-in-hand, there's no reason for all this fighting (and I have some blame here, I'll admit); it all needs to be elsewhere. Maybe a spin-off thread in Off-Topic (Or perhaps into the PPR subforum)?

Edited by Anorax

Yeah, that's enough talk about depression in this thread. If you want to discuss depression and suicide in general, take it to PPR. Just split a crap-ton of posts to a new thread in PPR.

Let's keep this thread about remembering Robin Williams and how great he was. If you feel the need to get on your soapbox about depression and suicide, keep it to yourself. If you really feel the need to get on your soapbox, go to PPR, but I still recommend the former option.

Edited by DarkeSword

Jumanji is on Netflix now if anyone wants to watch it. I'm about to finish and damn is it a bad movie. I still like it a lot if only for nostalgia, but these kids almost ruin the entire experience. Robin Williams helps the movie a lot. If it weren't for him I don't think I'd be able to finish it.

The book is way better. They cut out so much stuff for the film version. The preceding two sentences are a joke.

• 2 weeks later...

RIP Robin Williams. His death really hits me hard personally, not just because I watched Flubber a lot when I was a kid, but I've been struggling with suicidal depression for the last month. It's like...wow, another general lost in the war.

And the worst part is, everyone's gonna go back to acting like depression/suicidal thoughts aren't a big deal once the buzz dies down.