OCR03021 - Kingdom Hearts 'Trinity'

djpretzel

Hey, great job with this mix, Tyler!!!

I'm kinda a sucker for the trance remixes - they remind me of a lot of cool jamz that happened to be in my first favorites when I started seeking out more video game remixes.

What I like about this mix in particular though is the calm, catchy way it approaches what I always think of as a beautifully sad song. Dearly Beloved is one of the truly great title themes that get me to stop and just listen to them for a while. It really gets me in the perfect mood to play whatever KH I'm on...

That makes it a tough song for the remixers though - because I'm always dying for a remix that captures that feel but it's also very hard to do match those expectations. This definitely captures the source's vibe, and it's a great mix to sit back and let wash over you.

At least in my mind, repetitiveness is a moot point when it's the kind of song that's easily enjoyed as an underlying, passive piece like this. I've very excited to add this onto my "quiet solitude" playlist! Not enough love for the calmer mixes, so I'm always glad to see something like this!

Edited by Helios42

Not bad. It does seem to have a lot of the trance elements that folks are used to, but I personally like the little touches like the bitcrushed drums early on and the chippy elements that are sprinkled around. Even the smallest change to a formula that is already good to begin with can make for a nice listening experience. I'm not crazy about it, but credit goes where credit is due and this is pretty good all in all.

Yeah, I agree that the intro lacked bass, but if you listen reeeeeally closely, you can hear a little sub bass. :-P Personally I don't think this embodies true trance (not that I'm complaining), and I think that helps its case. Essentially I agree with djp in that it doesn't sound as repetitive as traditional trance, but also that it was still kind of repetitive. I really loved it at 1:08 when the more texturally full pads came in (I didn't think it was muddy there, but the bass was a little thin/boomy and not so much present as it could have been). The more generic trance parts with the supersaw and such were alright, and could have been better, but overall this is a pretty nice addition to the site. I think a fair amount of people would like this. :)

• 1 year later...