Munf Munf  

4 members have voted

1. 1. SNOOPINGAS Usual I See!!

• MAH BOI
    • DINNER
    • PINGAS
    • Lamp Oil

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

MIDI: http://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP115_supermariogalaxy-floaterlandXGv1.mid

Deadline: July 31st Wed @ 1PM

Vote Ends: August 4th Mon @ 1 PM

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

submit: http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP115

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
  2. Genre Swaps are fine.  So long as they follow guidelines of rule #3.
  3. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell.
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
  6. Please don't make any comments about people's entries - including your own - until the Voting process is concluded.  BONUS entries are exempt of this rule.
  7. Same rules for PRC voting Stage: don't vote for yourself, be considerate and try to give reasonable feedback as to why you liked X or Y entry. 
  8. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

Edited by HoboKa

• 3 weeks later...

Submitted.  I'm going to be setting a new ground rule (next round) going forward.  (EDIT) It's in the interest of trying to attract more participation and it may be a temporary call.  Might wind up shooting myself in the foot.  But, I'll leave you guys in suspense for a few days. =p

Edited by HoboKa

Pardon over 9000 edits...

Yes...I'm aware, that a lot of the core participants being gone, it probably doesn't matter which move I take, but I feel compelled to do something.

So when I did the homework, I realized that MnP has been suffering a similar drought as PRC since 2018.  And participation seemed to peak at an average of 2-3 a round, if lucky, minus a few rounds. 

Bundeslang and I lost about 5-6 stalwart regulars and a bevy of part-time participants that don't show any more.  Life is, right?  Anyways...I wasn't rattled before (overmuch), but when Bundeslang was bandying the idea of putting his sword up and calling it quits by 2021, it sort of got the wheels turning in my head.  MnP has been dying too; it's getting harder to be so gung-ho about it.  So I decided to work on some 'solutions'...that will probably backfire, but DAMNIT, I'm gonna do them anyways!!  So here goes!!

1. Cut off Console Era Source Picks beyond the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube eras.  There hasn't been any real interest in IP's beyond that cutoff: with the exception of a Mass Effect 2, Dark Souls and a Nier round (to which Brandon Strader was a major factor for...god I miss that madman lol)  Furthermore, someone pointed out to me in a PM, that very modern soundtracks can be intimidating for those with mediocre libraries and the MnP model of "conservative approach" kind of...kneecaps whatever flexibility might have remained.  Something I should have considered on the onset.
  2. Ban 'Obscure' FranchisesThis could wind up hurting PRC, so I'd have to be play this one by ear and see how PRC participation is affected. 

Edited by HoboKa

8 hours ago, HoboKa said:
  1. Cut off Console Era Source Picks beyond the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube eras.

I'm asking for clarification, this means that you will no longer be accepting sources from console systems released after the above, such as the Xbox360 and Wii, correct?

I'm a little disappointed with this change, but I agree that some newer soundtracks can be intimidating and hard to work with in MnP. For what it's worth, I support your decision and I hope it brings more participants!

BTW I'm working on my bonus and I hope to have it done by the deadline. :) 

Edited by Silverpool64

3 hours ago, Silverpool64 said:

I'm asking for clarification, this means that you will no longer be accepting sources from console systems released after the above, such as the Xbox360 and Wii, correct?

I'm a little disappointed with this change, but I agree that some newer soundtracks can be intimidating and hard to work with in MnP. For what it's worth, I support your decision and I hope it brings more participants!

BTW I'm working on my bonus and I hope to have it done by the deadline. :) 

(Edit 4~)

Erm.  Good to clarify... I meant nothing above the generation right before the xbox360, PS3 and Wii...because I've had rotten luck getting anything off the ground since 2015 from that era and the next one after it.  Yeah, it's a shitty call to make, but no entry since what...2015 has been successful when a more modern piece is chosen.  And a good bud of mine pointed out that this competition in particular, is unforgiving when it comes to doing justice to a source tune, when you have to be conservative AND match up to the sound quality it boasts. So roughly between 1984 to 2006. 

Also, for #2 (which you didn't ask for clarification, but I'm gonna elaborate upon anyways =p), I'm actually not gonna implement it.  Seems a little too hard of a correction, especially since #1 is already kind of disheartening.  Also, we've seen some pretty decent participation in lesser remixed games at OCR like Ducktales, Bubble Bobble, Toejam & Earl, Parasite Eve...so this is a risk I'm willing to keep bearing.  But, I'm open to cancelling Point #1 if you guy's prefer that I roll with Point #2, though it does mean a bit more sacrifice in source tunes pool.  Though I'd probably keep the 4 Games I linked above inside that pool, since they did well before.

On a semi un-tangential point of complaining...ever since 2018...things have changed.  (It might be due to a little melt down I had in the forums at OCR, but maybe I'm giving myself too much credit??)  The thing that doesn't track, however, is why people stopped going to PRC.  Bah... (sorry so many edits).  It just sucks that participation has dipped so low... Not saying I don't appreciate the people who've come back or continue to participate - I really appreciate it!  It just sucks.  I totally get why Bundeslang is feeling burnt out, and I guess I've been feeling the burnout too.  I was in a honeymoon stage of denial.  Lmao. 

Edited by HoboKa

Just my opinion, but I don't think there's anything wrong with either of those 2 new rules you suggested. Stopping at the 6th gen makes the compo more inclusive in regard to skill ceiling, sound quality and VST/libraries requirements. PRC is already dedicated to lesser-known games, which means that if you went with popular VGM instead, it'd make both compos complementary rather than a challenge not to step on each others toes every round. ;)

Bit of advice tho: if you're gonna helm any kind of community event, it is literally your job as an organizer to plan for a successful turnout. Starting with (and I've said it a few times already) advertising your compo to make sure there is participation. In the age of Discord servers, especially when contestants come from the same artist pool in a buried forum subsection, relying on the same 3 people to carry every event, year after year, isn't realistic. Everyone's interests shift, as do life's priorities and even enthusiasm has limits.

Edited by Dj Mokram

Thanks, I really needed to bounce my ideas back and forth with at least one person.  I must admit to being rather sleep deprived yesterday and not entirely sober.  I probably should've taken a step back, but at least something constructive came out of it. Good to see that both my suggestions weren't so off-base after all.

I guess, the initial concern going through my befuddled brain yesterday, was that if I made this about popular games only, PRC might lose whatever gains it made the last few rounds lol.  But, MnP does need a unique draw and it needs to be it's own thing.  Simply being "conservative" has probably hurt more than helped it. 

I'll consider hopping back onto the OCR Discord, if only to post updates on MnP rounds etc. My "engaging" skills are something more to be desired.  I edited out the musings I had here earlier.  Seemed a bit too self defeating.

Edited by HoboKa

1 more day to deadline...which I will extend right now.  I will do a 2-day extension, since this might be the last time we hear a modern-ish tune at MnP.  Depending on how the Poll goes...Sorry on the inconsistencies here, folks.  I think this is the better approach though, letting you guys vote on changes, if any.

Guess I'll leave the Poll open for 2 weeks or so.

Edited by HoboKa

56 minutes ago, AxLR said:

Oh, I finished mine late then, I couldn't recall when was the deadline rofl.
Let there be competition !

Cool!  Are you comfortable with me competing too?  I can make my entry a BONUS if you think it's weird.  Poll 2 is gonna address this question...finally.  Shouldn't have let it be a grey area for so long. 

Edited by HoboKa

4 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Cool!  Are you comfortable with me competing too?  I can make my entry a BONUS if you think it's weird.  Poll 2 is gonna address this question...finally.  Shouldn't have let it be a grey area for so long. 

Sorry i didn't get a chance to submit, but one i've been busy as hell, and two, the source looks a little too complicated for me, to MnP lol.

If voting's available, i can get some thoughts down yes?

7 hours ago, HoboKa said:

It's not a problem at all, I mean the compo is still fair and balanced, with or without you competing so I don't see the problem with that.

As long as voters are mature and don't bias their vote because you're the organizer, and I sincerely do believe they won't, there's no point in putting you away from the fun :)

1 hour ago, AxLR said:

It's not a problem at all, I mean the compo is still fair and balanced, with or without you competing so I don't see the problem with that.

As long as voters are mature and don't bias their vote because you're the organizer, and I sincerely do believe they won't, there's no point in putting you away from the fun :)

Weird.  I thought I submitted my response.  Well here we go again *in Mario voice*

Good point.  Usually people vote fair and just. Thanks!  Also, no worries TVG.  Please do vote when the time comes.  We'll see what crazy source tune gets picked for next round lmao. Munf Munf for Boi's DINNER

Edited by HoboKa

Welcome to the Voting Stage!

• There are 2 entries this round.
  • There is 1 Bonus entry(s) this round
  • There IS NOT a voter bonus this round. T_T
  • Silverpool64 has a vote worth 2x. 
  • Don't vote for Bonus entries please. 
  • Participants may not vote for themselves.  

Vote ends August 4th Tues @ 1 PM

Vote here https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP115

Edited by HoboKa

Results

• Only HoboKa voted. 
  • AxLR wins by default, because reasons.  Lmao. 

AxLR please PM me the source pick for round 116. 

Comments

With 3 entries, this could've been a good round, unfortunately, Silverpool64 had to submit as a BONUS.  It's a shame only I voted.  Participant votes are awash in a 2 entry round.  But I'm fine with handing off the source pick to AxLR, because I think he's earned it. 

3 hours ago, AxLR said:

Lol, didn't have time to vote sorry mate

I'll pick the source in no time, no worries !

It wouldn't have mattered, the only viable vote would've been Silverpool64's and/or someone who didn't participate this round.  Needs to be 3 non BONUS entries minimum, otherwise the vote is awash. 

Edited by HoboKa

On 8/5/2020 at 7:16 PM, HoboKa said:

Results

• Only HoboKa voted. 
  • AxLR wins by default, because reasons.  Lmao. 

AxLR please PM me the source pick for round 116. 

Comments

With 3 entries, this could've been a good round, unfortunately, Silverpool64 had to submit as a BONUS.  It's a shame only I voted.  Participant votes are awash in a 2 entry round.  But I'm fine with handing off the source pick to AxLR, because I think he's earned it. 

Daam... I’ve been busy as hell lol

Congrats dude!