With regards to ToU C

Seyfert

"If OverClocked ReMixes are being redistributed, they may not be modified in any way from the MP3 versions"

...I mean, really? Remixes can't be remixed? MP3s can't become OGGs? That 10 seconds of silence at the end absolutely needs to be retained and thus ruining what is otherwise interesting music?

2 hours ago, Seyfert said:

"If OverClocked ReMixes are being redistributed, they may not be modified in any way from the MP3 versions"

...I mean, really? Remixes can't be remixed? MP3s can't become OGGs? That 10 seconds of silence at the end absolutely needs to be retained and thus ruining what is otherwise interesting music?

You can do that for yourself, for your personal collection - absolutely, no one's stopping you, and why would they...

The key word here is "redistributed" - if you're hosting/mirroring portions of the collection for *others*, yeah, we want the files to be official & unmodified. If you're remixing them, that's no longer redistribution of the original audio, it's a different ballgame entirely. Conversion to OGG wouldn't make much sense (lossy to lossy?) - @Liontamerhas done work on silence trimming so if you find mixes w/ 10+ seconds of true silence (no signal), let us know here. The bigger no-no that we're especially concerned with would be modifying tagging/attribution, FYI.

Posted (edited)

I assume using them for a game is redistribution? It's just that some parts fit and some don't, often... and many are medleys, which means the tone changes, and often a narrative doesn't change as quickly. Also, music in games tends to repeat and not have fadeout endings.

Edited by Seyfert

Posted (edited)

Well, I'm not exactly SquareEnix... I doubt anyone will even play it. The other sections already mention this, but then I noticed C... music would really not work even in uncommercial games, due to the above reasons.

Edited by Seyfert

Sure. But in the end, OC ReMixes are not really meant to be BGM replacements for games; they're pieces written to be listened to. If you're looking for a loop-friendly version of a track, you can always contact the artist to see if they can hook you up with a custom render of it with proper loop points. This of course is only if you're making some kind of not-commericial fan-game. If you're making a game for consumption on an app store or on Steam or something, then I recommend you set a budget and hire a composer for original music. Plenty of artists in this community are interested in and have experience with writing OSTs for games.

Posted (edited)

I just cut the parts that make it seem most loopable, but asking them doesn't seem very viable, as I use lots, and no, this is more of a learning experience, nothing professional, only resource I'm using is time...

But otherwise, music from here always seemed to be the most viable to use (apart from royalty-free generic music, but then I'd have no connection to them like I do with these being remixes from games played prior).

Edited by Seyfert