Hybrid Games

Chiana

Hello from a long time lurker...

I'm doing a little research on hybrid games, and I was wondering if I could get some opinions...

I'm looking for opinions of games that are true hybrids (games that fully integrate the features of two or more game genres), with a special focus on hybrid games that have caused trends within the industry.

Right now, I'm looking at Actraiser, Faxanadu, and Diddy Kong Racing specifically, but I'd like to expand that list.

Thanks.

First, you need to define what a "Hybrid" is, specifically what types of hybridization you are looking for.

and RPG is really, for all intents and purposes, progressive development of a character. Lots of different genres have included RPG elements, even though they aren't necessarily styled as RPG-hybrids.

For example, Dark Messiah is a FPS with a talent-tree of sorts. System Shock 2 has hitpoints, energy, and an array of psi-talents that translate easily as "magic". Unreal Tournament 2004 has a fantastic mod that gives you RPG stats for just about every facet of your character, including passive abilities.

In all these examples, RPG elements are sprinkled to varying degrees in the game. But does that make them FPS-RPGs? That's a matter of semantics.

So, the point is, clarify what you want... stoopidhead.

When I was a kid, I always thought it would be really awesome if they made some sort of system where you could put in two different game cartridges, and it would produce a hybrid of the two games.

Actually, I seem to recall playing a flash game a while back which had Metroid's areas and enemies, put you played as Mega Man with the standard Mega Man controls and moves.

The Metroid Prime series is credited for creating a new sub-genre of FPS/adventure. The final fantasy tactics games and Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis are both a hybrid of RPG and strategy genres. There is also the ever popular action/adventure genre that includes a lot of games from Zelda to GTA.

Those are all I think of right now.

Savage would be a good example. While one person is building a base, collecting resources and making upgrades a la WarCraft 3, all the other people on your team are on the ground trying to get money for themselves or invading the other persons base in an FPS fashion.

That sounds kinda like Natural Selection for Half-Life or Iron Grip for Half-Life 2... Iron Grip is even more interesting because it's like RTS vs. FPS. One team is comprised of a number of players who play as a regular FPS, but the other team is controlled entirely by one person in RTS fashion, buying and commanding troops all across the map in a top-down view.