OCR04606 - *YES* Final Fantasy Tactics "A Chronicle of Ivalice"

Emunator

Your ReMixer name: Lucas Guimaraes
Your real name: Lucas Guimaraes
Your email address: 
Your website: https://twitter.com/Thirdkoopa - knew nothing better to link for this
Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: http://ocremix.org/community/profile/33965-thirdkoopa/
Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy Tactics
Name of arrangement: A Chronicle of Ivalice
Name of individual song(s) arranged: Trisection (https://youtu.be/6Tu5tLE4flc)

Collaborators:
Lucas Guimaraes: Arrangement, Soprano Saxophone
Charles Ritz: Alto Saxophone
Jess Destramp: Tenor Saxophone
Thomas Kresge: Baritone Saxophone
Daniel Caton: Mix

Source outlined:

https://youtu.be/6Tu5tLE4flc
0:00 - 0:23 - A Section
0:24 - 0:49 - B Section
0:50 - 1:12 - C Section

Source Breakdown:

0:00 - 0:23 - Source (A Section)
0:24 - 0:49 - Source (B Section)
0:50 - 1:12 - Source (C section)
1:13 - 1:47 - New Material (but developed around previous material)
1:48 - 2:20 - Source (B Section)
2:21 - 2:40 - Source (C Section)
2:41 - 2:53 - Chord progression from source
2:54 - 3:20 - Melodies borrowed from the source spread in a fugue-like fashion (Source A, B and C)
3:21 - 3:42 - Source (A section)
3:43 - 4:06 - Ending (but with parts from the A section)

My comments:  For March's Dwelling of Duels, the theme was Spinoff Month. I've always wanted to do my own take on Trisection. I got a bit out of my comfort zone and arranged a sax quartet. I was very lucky to have pulled this off in the little time we had towards the end of the deadline (about 50% of the month was spent on arranging). My amazing collaborators and I pulled it off. With some nice feedback, we ended up polishing it some more before an official release and OCR submission.

Final Fantasy Tactics represents a game about war, friends (and other loved ones) growing apart and no longer being able to go back to your home. I purposely waited for as long as possible to go directly back to the A section at the very end because I wanted the A section to be felt with a different context. Almost no other section is a 1:1 reprise except that section. Like, the first time I do the B section, I give the melody to the Baritone Saxophone. Second time? Soprano. So yes, the notes are the same, but the context they're experienced in is different. It's like visiting your hometown 20 years after moving: Yeah, the place is still the same, but so, so much else has changed. No matter how much you want to, you will never be able to return home. It's a bit of a downer, but I hope you all enjoy it.

*crashes through the wall*

FFT SAX QUARTET?!

I am honor bound to give some nitpicks, which I will do below. 

Soprano had a fairly noticeable flub in the first 10 secs. 

Eighth notes at 1:35 between bari and tenor could have been tighter, and probably could still be tightened with some production. 

Could have used stronger distiction on Tenor at 2:15 re: triple tonguing or double tonguing. It gets really strong at 2:40 but before then in the lower register it suffers a bit and often sounds like double tonguing instead because that middle note just doesn't come through. 

If I wanted to really nitpick, I'd say spend some time in editing taking out things like the key slaps that AREN'T part of the notes. You hear key sticks before the final notes, in the middle of the silence on the Alto part. Some might argue this ads to the realism of the performance, like you're in the audience, but personally it distracted me from whatever else was going on at that moment. Espeically since there's so much reverb in the mix (which I might consider toning down, but also could be your choice for that classical sound), the key slaps/other sax noises carry further than they should anyway. 

But these are pieces of feedback from a sax player with sax ears - on the basis of OCRs standards alone, excuse me while I pass the shit out of this one.

Well done.

YES

• XPRTNovice changed the title to 2023/05/05 - (1Y) Final Fantasy Tactics "A Chronicle of Avalice"
  • 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2023/05/05 - (2Y) Final Fantasy Tactics "A Chronicle of Avalice"

Your sax performance is notably better than what we got in "Live for a Who / Oh War of Evil;" even though there are some notable missteps, they're less severe and are covered more by the other instruments. It's also clearly not as challenging a piece to perform. And while the key noises are a bit loud, for me they only barely detracted from my enjoyment.  I'm not the biggest fan of the original sections, which seem sort of rambling, especially the repetitive runs, but they work well enough, and feel like they belong. None of these complaints are major enough to prevent my giving this a

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/05/05 - (3Y) Final Fantasy Tactics "A Chronicle of Avalice"
  • Gario changed the title to 2023/05/05 - *YES* Final Fantasy Tactics "A Chronicle of Avalice"
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2023/05/05 - *YES* Final Fantasy Tactics "A Chronicle of Ivalice"
  • Gario locked this topic
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04606 - *YES* Final Fantasy Tactics "A Chronicle of Ivalice"