Mario 64 - Bowser's road

I tweaked, layered and FXed a bunch of sytrus presets for nearly everything in this, but it still comes off as generic?

yeah pretty much

And yes, I do happen to like the dropoff and subsequent buildup of sound at :52 and afterward :)

key changes like that generally come in strong so it was just kind of jarring but whatever you think works.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, this is sounding awesome. A suggestion on the electric guitar riff from :34 - :50 though would be to add a little strumming or rythym to it. Right now it only hits once for each notes and sounds very mechanical/unrealistic. There's a low synth below it (it hits on several of the off-beats) that has a good pattern which you could match with the guitar.

Ahh, this is sounding awesome. A suggestion on the electric guitar riff from :34 - :50 though would be to add a little strumming or rythym to it. Right now it only hits once for each notes and sounds very mechanical/unrealistic. There's a low synth below it (it hits on several of the off-beats) that has a good pattern which you could match with the guitar.

Yeah, only thing is, a "fake" guitar trying to be realistic (especially with what I'm using) is oftentimes more noticeable. In this kind of mix, sometimes a purely electronic sound works better. I'll certainly experiment with this though; I agree that a "real" guitar would be better to use, but I feel that I lose control of the process when I get someone else to do it; and asking people to re-record, etc, is a hassle.

yeah pretty much

Fair enough. Maybe others will enjoy it more. :)

I don't think this sounds too generic at all. This is very hard stuff to pull off well, I think you've nailed it. The sitar was a bit cheesy though...

(By the way, if the guitar part is as simple as it sounds, I could put something together in like 20 minutes if you told me what it was, just a thought.)

• 3 weeks later...
This track keeps getting sweeter and sweeter. You guys are in for a treat when he's done with it, believe me :)!!

Thanks man. I just finished it up; all that's left is coming up with a good title.

The finished product is a good deal better than my WIP in the first post if I do say so myself. :)

How bout Road to Oblivion or something like that?

Yeah, Road to Oblivion was among the ideas I was tossing around.

random thoughts that came to me:

Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Road to Oblivion

Road to Perdition

Twisted Trail

Ravaged Road

Annihilation Alley

Devastation's Doorway

etc.

I dunno; I'll come up with something.

Er, you do get the reference, right?

...that wasn't a "serious" list at all. Whatever.

Yes, while I dislike both of them, I understand the reference, and wondered why you would list them... Didn't get the reference on anything else if there was one...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

- TO BE POSTED (11)

All YES decisions are subject to change until the mix in question is posted.

Judges Decisions threads for these mixes are not available until the mix is posted.

[April 5] Super Mario 64 'Devastation's Doorway'

:D

....10char