Took you long enough SNK (Metal Slug Anthology for PS2 shipped)

ILLiterate

Now I can play the game with a good controller gg to me

Also, since you probably like SNK from going in this thread, Art of Fighting Anthology has been announced for North America and should come out late April, please buy so they can start letting out good stuff like a Real Bout collection or Garou or KoF XI or SOMETHING GOOD

From what I know it has an arranged soundtrack and the ports are ARC perfect, and I'm pretty sure people know how hard it is to find these games. It'll probably sell for $20 though and is well worth that much money, maybe even have online play for once, who knows?

From what I know it has an arranged soundtrack and the ports are ARC perfect, and I'm pretty sure people know how hard it is to find these games. It'll probably sell for $20 though and is well worth that much money, maybe even have online play for once, who knows?

From what I've come to understand, the music is the arcade's, there's no online play, and the game sells for $39.99. It has all seven 2D MS games on it, and is supposed to have nothing cut out (i.e. boss flashes, blood, etc.). No word yet on whether it suffers from the mid-stage loading pauses like the PSP version did, and no mention of any bonuses like artwork.

No one's reviewed it yet, so there's not a lot of info on it at the moment. That, coupled with SNK's lack of info (they didn't even confirm it existed until a month ago), and basically it's a crap shoot.

The Wii controls suck for this, right?

I don't have any experience with the wii controls (I've only played it once at my cousin's house and I used a GC controller), but seeing him play with the remote looked like fun. The control scheme he used was the one where you hold it NES style, use the 1 and 2 buttons to shoot and jump, and you shake the remote to throw grenades.

But if you prefer a more standard controller, then you should get the PS2 version.

At long last, Metal Slug Anthology came out for the PS2. I went and picked it up late this afternoon, and I have to say, it's about as good as it can be.

Yes, all the games load. MS-1, MS-2 and MS-X keep the loading to a relative minimum, with between stage loadings that are pretty quick (especially if you play the same game a second time in a row). However, MS-3 to MS-6 load between basically every section and subsection of each stage. It's usually not longer than 2-3 seconds, and at times it isn't even a second. So it's really not too bad. I have a feeling this comes from completely redoing each game as opposed to using the "already out" versions of 3-6. On the disc, you can see that it looks like all the game data was merged into one big file, so these things don't appear to be individual ROMs, but rather one big one.

The "shimmering" effect seen in a lot of the PS2's 2D emulation packs looks to have been reduced with Metal Slug Anthology, and this is a good thing. The original MS-4/MS-5 PS2 pack had a pretty bad shimmering to it, so it's nice to see that SNK worked on reducing it with this compilation. The music seems to be the original Neo-Geo tunes (nice), and much to my surprise, there are some hidden goodies. One's a text interview with the makers of the MS franchise, another is being able to listen to the music of each game, and the last one's a big artwork museum where you have to complete each game to unlock sections.

For all you folks who don't like the idea of unlimited continues, this game's got you covered. You can choose from 5 credits, 10 credits, 20 credits, or if you're not feeling particularly adventurous, "free play" (unlimited credits).

Regarding the lag a few people are talking about, the MS series has always had some control lag. MS-1 had it the worst, and that control aspect hasn't been "fixed" in MSA. The sequels cleaned it up a bit, and that holds true on MSA as well. I compared MS-3 on "Anthology" to the XBox version, and there does seem to be about a 1/4 of a second lag. I don't know if this is how the arcade game was and they "fixed" it for the XBox release, or if this is strictly a fault of the compilation.

I'm quite happy with it. All the games on one DVD, and you can choose digital or analog controls (ya hear that Nintendo?). The XBox version of 3, 4 and 5 have an edge thanks to the XBox's better handling of the visuals and load times, and if I recall, the PS2's MS-4/MS-5 pack didn't load during the levels either. Not sure why these do, but perhaps it has something to do with how the games are emulated from scratch in this compilation. Regardless, everything from the blood, to the tiniest animations are all there, and little (if anything) looks to have been cut. So while the loading's a bit disappointing, it was expected since the Wii and PSP versions of MSA had it. These are still 2D sprite masterpieces, and they're all together.

Nice work SNKP. It sure took you a while to get this version out, but the wait was worth it.

Now... if only they would give an explanation as to why the PS2 instruction manual seems to actually be the PSP instruction manual ;)

Edit: Updates

I'm quite happy with it. All the games on one DVD, and you can choose digital or analog controls (ya hear that Nintendo?).

You could use either the d-pad or analog stick (using the GC controller) on the Wii version as well.

The only thing missing from the Wii version is the boss flashing and blood.

You could use either the d-pad or analog stick (using the GC controller) on the Wii version as well.

The only thing missing from the Wii version is the boss flashing and blood.

Really? I've read differently. Supposedly only the analog stick was usable on the GC controller, and the blood was supposed to be in as well... at least according to IGN and wikipedia.

I may be wrong about either of those things. I've only played it once, but I do seem to remember using the d-pad and complaining to my cousin about how crappy the GC pad is and switched over to the analog stick instead.

As for the blood, we played on a really small T.V. so maybe I just didn't notice it.

Awesome, MSA on PS2... Wait, WTF an AoF collection?! Zounds, let's be realistic, do you HONESTLY believe SNK/P is gonna make sales on THAT?

No, they're not, but if it does as well as they think it will or decent, we'll get more Anthologies of better Series (Real Bout Fatal Fury, King of Fighters, Garou, NGBC, KoFXI)

The idea is probably that, hey people have been buying our recent games, Art of Fighting is HARD TO COME BY, and we should explain some of these character that are in KoF before we start putting out the KoF packs.

You can't complain though, it'll probably be around $19.99, they're pretty good fighters, and now that the PS3 is out, SNK can start releasing their stuff on the PS2 since the expectations for their games aren't near as high as they where (plus Sony of America just hates everything 2D)

Awesome, MSA on PS2... Wait, WTF an AoF collection?! Zounds, let's be realistic, do you HONESTLY believe SNK/P is gonna make sales on THAT?

At least in Japan, they're selling enough of these oldie-compilations to warrant an AoF, two FF, two KoF, a SS and a LB compilation (all of them feature online play, btw).