OCR00759 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Ice Attack"

orkybash

While it's a great song, the arrangement and structure are incredible, it lacks a bit in terms of atmosphere. Proffesional Trance songs usually make use of a lot of reverb, something this piece seems to lack. I'm sure however, that it would sound much better played in a club or open setting than through a pair of headphones. It was mentioned some of the sounds are "cute". Not really a bad description, since this song comes from Sonic the Hedgehog. I'm sure it's far better than the original, and even captures the mood of the original song. It's still very fun to listen to, however. Lots of variation on the drums are used to keep the piece moving. The arrangement is extra-ordinary. The samples are very good also. However, maybe next time some extra effects can be added to give that extra touch of realism.

Great job!!

8.4/10 :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Only POSSIBLE downer is that it's TOO close to the original.

HOWEVER, I like this because the patches/percussion/samples are crisper and cleaner than the original. This is probably how the guys at SEGA wanted the track to sound, but couldn't do it because the Genesis sound hardware sucked ass. Still, for Sonic, they did better than most other games.

Good work.

• 1 year later...

Pretty generic electronic quasi-trance. Some of the pads are pretty lo-fi, causing this to be less effective due to it's simplicity. If the sounds themselves were richer I think it would have kept my attention better.

There's some decent counterpoint going on, but it doesn't really add any color to the song, only texture.

The beat is total autopilot, and the bass is wimpy.

Sorry, I'm not really a fan of this one. The only thing keeping it going is the fact that it is Icecap.

• 4 years later...
Pretty generic electronic quasi-trance. Some of the pads are pretty lo-fi, causing this to be less effective due to it's simplicity. If the sounds themselves were richer I think it would have kept my attention better.

There's some decent counterpoint going on, but it doesn't really add any color to the song, only texture.

The beat is total autopilot, and the bass is wimpy.

Sorry, I'm not really a fan of this one. The only thing keeping it going is the fact that it is Icecap.

Well, it's from 2002, so sometimes THAT'S ALL YOU NEED. :-P

I definitely enjoyed this one back in the day, with some clear source tune fan-bias. It's definitely a VERY straightforward arrangement, but it's pleasant. More repetitive than I remembered, and underdeveloped by today's standards, but it got the job done a decade back.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00759 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Ice Attack"