final fantasy 1

Benjamin Briggs

Without a guide, it is a ridiculous game. I'm talking about the original NES version, as the playstation one has probably been made much easier. (easy mode, lol)

You HAVE to level grind, or at the very least spend ages trying to earn money for the stuff you need to just survive. If it weren't for those 3 squares with the hard battles to the east, it would have bored the crap out of me.

Without a guide, it is a ridiculous game. I'm talking about the original NES version, as the playstation one has probably been made much easier. (easy mode, lol)

You HAVE to level grind, or at the very least spend ages trying to earn money for the stuff you need to just survive. If it weren't for those 3 squares with the hard battles to the east, it would have bored the crap out of me.

I've played the original without a guide way back and have finished it... idk maybe I was unusually patient to level grinding as a child... Even now I still have the original game cartridge and can still play it without the guide. I liked the game enough to get the PS version and the GBA lost souls version that both had the second game. (Supposedly considered as the worst but I liked it)

That game is sickeningly hard.

No, ff2 is sickeningly hard. Most level grinding I have ever done.

I played ff1 for the TI 83+ That was easy.

Best combo IMO, is 3 fighters and a black mage.

Question: in 8-bit theatre, they call him black belt, but in the ps1 version, it's called monk. Same with fighter and warrior. Did the original nes game call them fighter and black belt?

Question: in 8-bit theatre, they call him black belt, but in the ps1 version, it's called monk. Same with fighter and warrior. Did the original nes game call them fighter and black belt?

Yes.

My first playthrough I had a fighter, black belt, red mage, black mage, but I had a friend who swore by 4 black belts. You start out pretty weak, but once you upgrade the job classes, you can demolish anything.

I think it's a pretty cool idea to play through all the final fantasies in order. Are you going with the originals, or the remakes?

It has been a while since I played FF1, but I remember the grind in that game was pretty bad...and the grind in FF12 ranks as one of the worst in RPGs I've played - it ranks up there with Lunar 2: Eternal Blue, and 7th Saga.

I'm probably a masochist as I loved playing FF12 despite the grind lol... Then again I'm probably one of the few who actually owns a copy of "Quest 64" and enjoyed it. Mammon was an asshole in that game but by the time I reached him, so long as I casted some defense spells I was kicking his ass.

Hell I remember reading an article for Quest 64 saying it as being worse than being given a root canal from a dentist.

I'm probably a masochist as I loved playing FF12 despite the grind lol... Then again I'm probably one of the few who actually owns a copy of "Quest 64" and enjoyed it. Mammon was an asshole in that game but by the time I reached him, so long as I casted some defense spells I was kicking his ass.

Hell I remember reading an article for Quest 64 saying it as being worse than being given a root canal from a dentist.

I actually enjoyed Quest 64 somewhat too - I did have some complaints about it, namely that it's expensive for how long it was, but it wasn't nearly the worst RPG I've played.

I must have gotten lucky as the day I bought it, it was sold for $25 at a Toys'R'Us (holy shit less than $25?! yeah I was surprised)

What I really enjoyed about it were the the effects used for the elemental spells. I also liked the tune to the mirage palace in the desert where you could easily get maybe 12+plus espers to boost your magic power with no monsters in the palace.

But before I go semi-derailing the topic...

FF1 & 2, while pretty bad to most. I still love them. Some of the best tracks I've ever heard growing up as I played them as well as the simple stories allowed me to imagine something beyond the simple sprites of yore. Back then of course it was animated in my mind but in a similarly artistic style I've seen from museums and some box art as well. It felt alot like reading a story except of course with just imagery instead of text. A story I enjoyed, I just happen to control the main hero's actions for the most part. I suppose that's what saves them from falling into the "worst gaming experience ever" catagory...

At least for me...

FF III is the only one that's really hard, and that's only because the final dungeon plus the Eureka zone is massive and has something like 13-15 bosses. You really have no choice but to run in and out a few times if you want to get all the extra stuff you need from the boss fights.

II had a ridiculous grind; I'm never in favour of a system where you have to cheat (i.e. the choose action-cancel action trick) or play for hours to get just a little bit better. I was a cakewalk.

Levelling up doesn't make a game *hard*, it makes it long. Some of the games can be hard if you don't ever spend time levelling, but especially in FF I, if you spend the time being able to acquire the equipment you need, you'll more than likely be pretty much levelled enough. The only other thing you'll need is to level up at the Eye boss who has the instant death spell in the volcano, and that's about the shortest place to level in any FF game I've ever played (which is all up to XI).

FF! wasn't hard, for a NES game, it wasn't as confusing. FF2 IS harder, even more with that crappyass leveling system.

I totally agree. I played FF1&2 for the GBA, and FF1 was very easy. FF2 was significantly harder - unlike the first, FF2 didn't restrict where you could go as much so you were able to face enemies that were too strong if you wandered. It took me a long time to get very far without dying, simply because I tend to explore and wasn't at a level where that was smart :-P.

That reminds me, has any one try beatng it with just four white mages..?

You know what's worse? Playing it with four white mages but killing off three of them in the first battle and never reviving. I think beating the game with a single white mage has roughly the same difficulty as 1CCing DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou.

Playing FF1 with four white mages was simultaneously the most and least fun I've ever had playing a video game. I think it took me like twenty tries to beat Garland. It's an amazing experience, but it'll go even slower than Dragon Warrior.

God, I need to do that again some time and actually play the whole way through.

I think it's a pretty cool idea to play through all the final fantasies in order. Are you going with the originals, or the remakes?

psh. originals, duh... I can do so easily thanks to emulation <3

my n64/ps1 controller -> usb gamepad converter came in the mail today coincidentally I came in my pants today

my party

Link - Black Mage

Ash - Fighter

Leon - Black Belt

Girl - White Mage

yes I actually used those names fuck you

double postlol

I blogged about how terrible quest 64 is on my myspace if you care to read

I've been told it's kind of funny

Guess I'll put in my two cents about this game. I love it. Old school still one of the best ones. The GBA ports while easier were still fun to play. The PSP one...I'd say if you never played it before get it but honestly, just buy yourself Dawn of Souls (FF1 and 2 on GBA) instead. The differences between the two are so minimal (1 extra dungeon...woot). Gameplay wise I think the PSP one is too easy. I went straight from buying my things to Garland as a Lv1, killed him and got everyone to Lv3...I should not be able to do this :/ But this game, being 20 years old, is still better than most the crap RPGs PSP has.