OCR00802 - Lunar: The Silver Star "Meribia Nights"

Ginnsu

Lunar: The Silver Star 'Meribia Nights'

Meribia Nights is a very soft, melodic piece with too many chimes, and drum beat that sounds way too "mushy" for me. But, it is of superb sound quality, and it must be an excellent arrangement, because I can find little to complain about besides that which doesn't please my personal tastes. Somebody else pipe in and give this one a decent review. Excellent work, Kaijin.

• 8 months later...

this screams town music, which in this case is a good thing. its got a peaceful, home-y atmosphere that you’d expect of a small town by the countryside. that don’t mean it can’t be played in the big city though. my house is just as warm and comfortable as a town house, ladies ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Pretty cool yo. I was listening to this while working on updating some of the source tune information for the database. This one by Tim is quite the underrated little gem. I really liked the piano during the intro, and :38-1:48 coincidentally had some sections very reminiscent in style to the Super Mario 64 ending theme. With Winamp's typical 3-second crossfade, the track loops very nicely. I'm really suprised this hasn't gotten more appreciation. Nice work, Tim!

• 1 year later...

Simply beautiful. I am quickly becoming a big Kaijin fan, and this mix easily stands with his others. The piano and bass together are superb and really carry the mix, and the soft chimes, drums and strings help as well. The only thing that brings down the mix slightly is the synthetic quality of the guitar lead. The mix doesn't suffer from it at all, but it could be better.

I also think it could be a little longer, either with some variation, or with a bit more original material.

Regardless, this is a great mix and I strongly recommend it.

• 11 months later...

Whoa... This is a brilliant piece. I'm most impressed at how it seamlessly blends together the TSS and SSS Meribia themes, and I really like how it ends with the arrangement of Mia's theme (Fairy Rain) at 1:52 to the end.

It's really well put together. I'd love to see many more mixes in this vein. KF

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Back in the day, Kaijin had this quality of being able to work out these mellow tracks wonderfully. It may show its age now simply because of MIDI soundcard limitations, but what he did managed to show some good expression and interpretation for its time.

With the Silver Star Story version coming in at 0:46 and the jazz guitar lead, later being utilised for the regular Silver Star version later on in the track, people may not quite be too sure about the quality of it, but I felt that that's actually some good sustain/decay work done towards it for its time; may not sound convincingly like the real thing, but it's something that works well.

Even the little homage to Dale North right at the end, referencing "Dale Loves Mia" (not on OCR though :(), was also a cute way to finalise it, especially considering both artists are in the Bad Dudes camp.

So I'd say it's short but sweet; a charming take on a non-square RPG source, showing its age now due to structure and production techniques, but can still be worth looking into if you feel fond about Kaijin's work :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00802 - Lunar: The Silver Star "Meribia Nights"