The MAGFest 6 Topic (omgz)

Geoffrey Taucer

You're not alone...

If this were last year I would have been able to agree with you. But it's not, so I can't. Instead, I'll give you tips from a MAGFest sophomore standpoint. I don't even remember the site I heard about it from, but when I investigated it it looked pretty damn cool. I spoke with Wayne, head of the Chrono Trigger Novel Project that I'm working on, and we decided to put in an appearance to advertise our novel. We were easily able to befriend Mr. MAGFest and get a table. But apart from him I came to this event not knowing anything about it or anyone there (with the exception of OCRemix, and even then only peripherally). I hadn't even met Wayne in person till he picked me up from the Washington train station. So, about those tips:

1. Go to as many events as you can. I kicked things off with Brendan's opening speech, and then Shael Riley got onstage to perform. This was difficult for me to appreciate since I didn't know who Shael Riley was (in fact, I heard his name as "Shea O'Reily"), much less this "Juese Belmont" song he was playing. Naturally I didn't recognize the bearded gentleman who looked vaguely like one of my friends rapping next to him, nor the Asian chick. But going to other events later on (including Virt's chiptune seminar, the ThaSauce panel and just about every fan movie screening that occurred) brought me up to speed in a hurry.

2. Don't be shy. I didn't post on this forum regularly yet, so I didn't know the community. But after the show I started talking with people. I got into a conversation with this one guy in an OCR Tshirt and he, for some reason, started talking about the novel Faust, but couldn't remember who wrote it. I politely stepped in and mentioned it was Goethe (butchering the pronunciation in the process) and that opened the gateway to a conversation. I asked how involved he was with the site, to which he replied, "I'm DJPretzel." I later attended the OCR panel, where I sang songs from Sonic 1 and won an OCR tshirt of my own, which I've worn to every meetup I've made since.

Those are actually the only two tips I've got, and one is kind of a subset of the other. But it's very good to remember. Talk to people, get involved, and otherwise plunge headfirst into this mess of gamer goodness. By the end, Wayne and I were chumming it up with Larry and Geoffrey, and having a kickass time. I went to the closing panel, and Brendan asked for the MAGFest first timers. After I and others had raised our hands, someone commented, "You all got raped. Hard."

I had a phobia of being in pictures at this point in time (though I can be seen in the milestone shot of Dave and Virt shaking hands), so I'm not in any of the following photos. But here is a photo journal of the CTNP's MAGFest M5 appearance.