Chiptune metal band - Electro Static Discharge

Spamtron

Hey there! I'm in a chiptune metal band called Electro Static Discharge, or ESD for short. This summer, we released a EP which you can download here: Electro Static Discharge - PWN TEH N00B

The EP contains 7 tracks of epic, brutal 8-bit metal. I composed the songs, with help from Phlogiston and Riders from theshizz.org on the last two tracks. The last track is a videogame cover of a great theme by Chris Huelsbeck.

The music is great and will probably remain in my MP3 player for a good while, but the vocals are so unclear and in the back that they sound like a crowd chanting from far away. It would be nice if the chip sounds were brought down to around the guitar's level too. In rock music, the vocals are usually the defining moment, so they should be a little more dominant in the mix.

Edit: The music is f'n awesome. Please bring the vocals up front. I'm not trying to be a critic. I would love to shell out some dough for it.

The deathiest metaller in OCR (That's me ^_^) says that this is pretty dang cool. A concert of this would definitely be fun to go to. The guitars and drums even sound kinda 8-bit too. How the heck did you do that? Allow me to throw in my two cents. These songs would be pretty boring to me if it those chiptune parts weren't riding on top of it the whole time. The guitar parts are just not interesting as far as metal goes. But this is definitely cool overall!

I'm loving this. Wonderfully hardcore stuff.

I should probably make a CD of this stuff to blast at work after we close. Problem is, seven songs isn't quite enough to make a CD.

Anyone have any complementary material like this to suggest?

The first thing that comes to my mind is Power Supply, although that album his a very different feel.

• 3 months later...

Hey, thanks for the kind words! I'm really happy that people are digging this stuff. We recently played at Magfest 6 and had a blast.

The quiet vocals were a decision on my part. At the moment, I'd like ESD to be mostly instrumental. My view of music is pretty different from I started this project. Our newer stuff will be just as melodic, but a bit less harsh.

By the way, we're working on a new EP or full-length album at the moment. There will a new ESD web site when I find time to start working on it.

By the way... I'm thinking of making a thread called "Design a logo for ESD". It could be a design contest or something. Give me your thoughts!

please dont make the name of your next ep something like that please

haha, yeah. that title was the previous guitarist's idea. he's no longer in the band, though, haha.

The next EP will be way more "live", if you know what I mean. Expect live drums and more guitar playing.

• 12 years later...