OiNK is dead

herograw

"A criminal investigation continues into the identities and activities of the site's users"

prepare to possibly get owned

Even if I'd ever used the site (I'd never heard of it before today), I'd have nothing to worry about: file-sharing is legal in Canada.

The gist of the law goes something like this:'It's not our fault the stuff is available for download; we didn't put it there, so we can't be punished for downloading it'.

repostin from unmod.org

i was lurking the channel they had set up on some terrible network and OiNK himself came in, fresh off bail. Long story short, there was a bot net attack and the servers all split.

Here's OiNK's testimony on the matter:

http://dot-slash-csc.iblogger.org/oinkfaq.html

oh and oink forums:

http://www.ohax.com/phpBB2/index.php

edit: the forums have nothing illegal, mods

yeah but those douchebags steal a good $15 from the consumer for charging $20 a CD.

And since they're the ones making the music, they have the right to charge what they want. Paying $20 voluntarily isn't being robbed; it's choosing to use your money in a manner you deem to be less than efficient.

yeah but those douchebags steal a good $15 from the consumer for charging $20 a CD.

Much like how cars probably only cost $1000 to make, but charge 10,000-20,000 new? Also, the same can easily be said of videogames, except now they charge $50 for the disk, rather than just $20. Oh, how about with most BASIC LIFE NECCESITIES that probably profit twice the production value? By your logic you seem to think that if they overcharge someone else for something, you say that's enough to legitimize not paying for the product yourself.

Pretending EVERY one of them is the 'douchebag' you make them out to be, you are still stealing, making up excuses doesn't change the fact that you are obtaining a product someone worked for the purpose of selling... Doesn't matter if its food, a video game, music, movies, etc., it is stealing.

But I suppose this is a matter, not of whether or not it is stealing, but of what is more just: To be injusticed by unneccesarily high prices to obtain art, or to injustice the artist by accepting the art without having paid the artist for their work.

Or, easier said:

Is it more moral to be ripped off $20 for a $5 disk, or

Is it more moral to rip off the artist by getting what was on the $5 disk for free?