Zero Punctuation (Hilarious) Game Reviews

sephfire

His voice could be funnier but he brings up some good points. I'd prefer to see Lev deliver the speech :)!!

Too bad he hasn't played any of that games I have. I'll be watching some more of these though. I hope he'll play Medieval 2 Total War... that game really deserves to be bashed to bits.

EDIT: Haha, excellent work ripping bioshock to pieces. I like this stuff so much more than positive reviews. Nothing will ever improve without critisism. I'll go play Mega Man 3 now.

His reviews are still awesome-tastic. I haven't played Burnout Paradise, but I agree that having races based on trying to read a tiny little pixel-map while flying down and around curves at 150 mph is a tad on the retarded side. I don't really see why hes bashing the game for all the crashes though... thats kind of the whole point of the game. However, I'm only too familiar with the crash-ten-feet-before-the-finish-line-to-watch-your-first-place-go-to-5th-place poopcannon that mires Burnout 3. "Catch-up" in racing games is quite shitty.

Anywho... Awesome review as always. I've re-watched all of his reviews probably more than is healthy while I'm at work and I still can't find them to get old.

His voice could be funnier but he brings up some good points. I'd prefer to see Lev deliver the speech :)!!

Too bad he hasn't played any of that games I have. I'll be watching some more of these though. I hope he'll play Medieval 2 Total War... that game really deserves to be bashed to bits.

EDIT: Haha, excellent work ripping bioshock to pieces. I like this stuff so much more than positive reviews. Nothing will ever improve without critisism. I'll go play Mega Man 3 now.

Well, he didn't completely rip BioShock to pieces, but he really went after the hype engine surrounding it. He had a lot of good things to say about it in the opening, but as he also said, being nice to a game doesn't get him laughs/views/whatever. He was just quick to point out BioShock's shortcomings which were advertised as advantages. I love the game, personally, but I agree that the morality in the game ends up coming up a bit shallow. I wish the ending segments to the game changed based on the stuff you do; that would've deepened the experience considerably. But part of his review comes that he was probably expecting something more than System Shock 2, which... well, is hard to do.

On a side note, I love his version of the Big Daddy. It makes me laugh.

He was just quick to point out BioShock's shortcomings which were advertised as advantages.

Well, he turned the game's big selling points against it. This review would make the designers cry in their mother's lap. It's like reviewing this song and saying "yeah, great song, but your drum programming really really sucks" in a funny and sarcastic way and be more or less serious about it. Bring up the stuff that the creator spent the most time making and likely the most proud of, rip it apart, and the shreds will tear down whatever's still left with it as it falls. You know how magazines usually have a few pages of pictures of celebrities in their new outfits and then they rate them, like "this week's worst/best outfit", and you usually can't tell the difference between how they dress? If someone gets a really expensive outfit and is proud of it, you're expected to say "my, what a lovely dress!" even if you think it's horrible just because you know how much it means to that person that everyone thinks her dress is nice, and if you speak your mind and say it's horrible, then that person is going to cry, regardless of whether she deserved it or not.

I just watched all his videos (which I hadn't previously seen) one after another.

Not recommended.

Really? Soon after I first found the videos, I watched all the remaining ones I hadn't seen (probably amounted to about 7 in a row,) and while I'll admit I was getting a bit tired by the end, I still found them all to be funny and entertaining. But maybe that's because I think they're ridiculously funny. Who knows.

This week's wasn't entirely meant to be a lulz-fest, as it were. I really get the impression that Yahtzee is trying nail home these points in that they're becoming cliche. Though he inserted plenty of humor, it's pretty obvious he's serious about a good many of these points. And yeah, I agree that a lot of modern FPSes follow a little too closely in the footsteps of Halo. Sometimes it's not a bad thing, but... it's not the panecea for the genre. An example is the "take cover and wait to heal" thing works wonderfully in games like Gears of War and Call of Duty 4 where you're expected to fight from cover. For other run and gun games, I don't think the system is all that intuitive because it does remove some element of risk. BioShock, for example, is more of a run-and-gun experience and I find the game is largely enhanced by the health bar. It makes you weigh your combat situations a little more carefully before rushing headlong into things.

Interestingly of note, I was bemused when BioShock was shown in the hands of the group making the "good" game. Also, the shoutout to Metroid Prime was much appreciated. Though I was disappointed that he didn't go more into detail about the Turok game itself, save that it features a bunch of tropes he's growing to dislike rapidly. A highlight of many of his reviews is when he goes deeper into depth about a game and what he hates or likes about it. Though I suppose it doesn't matter considering it's a damn dinosaur hunting game and not something like Beyond Good and Evil.