lavos sketch

DrumUltimA

Ahhh! The Basic Squary baseline is so... Cool! How dare you pull off such a cool plan!

K, Back to the mix: It kinda sounds like from Golden Sun, or something, I don't know Lavos or this source in perticular, but this is cool stuff nonetheless!

I'm subscribing now, I want to hear it when it's done!

DJ Arthur, this is from Chrono Trigger, an excellent game with a superb soundtrack. It receives a lot of attention here, but this track in particular -- not so much.

Uhmm... K, Which platform was the game brought out on... Seriously, I've read about it only here, but never saw or played the game itself... Ah, I'm getting off-topic... Just PM me, if you feel like it.

I've got no real criticisms since you fixed most of the issues with the original sketch. Moar pls.

EDIT: DJ Arthur, this is from Chrono Trigger, an excellent game with a superb soundtrack. It receives a lot of attention here, but this track in particular -- not so much.

an aspiring remixer and I are working on Tyrano Lair an even LESS represented song for the site...so I hope that 1 day this site gets all of the chrono trigger songs in it ;)

Arrangementwise this is all very nice. Good call on the bassline and the other instrumentation as well. Unfortunately, percussion is still where this lags (productionwise, the sequencing is, of course, pretty good).

The kick has barely any lower-end body, which would be suitable if you're going for rapid-fire double bass rolls, but here it just has very little energy, and doesn't do much to keep the beat going. I'd suggest a substantial boost in the 50-60 Hz area (up to 10 dB if necessary).

The snare sounds quite thin and subdued as well. I'm not really sure what the cause of this is, since it's already quite wet with room ambiance. If anything, a boost around 100 Hz might help to bring out more of the body. It could also be attributed to the fact that the snare isn't being played at a high enough velocity on the off-beat, which IMO would be quite suitable for this style (Along with a nice reverb-tail).

The Hi-hat, and most of the cymbals are very loud and up-front. A roll-off around 600-1000 Hz is definitely necessary to keep them from cluttering the mix. Aside from that, some ambiance and a few less dB would definitely help make them sit better.

How about an Epic Battle? or The Subterranean Puppeteer...or Chrono Meet's His Maker

Just some ideas lol...

Less random suggestions, more feedback. Tyranno Lair sucks by the way.>=|

Anyway, great going with the drums, they seem to fit a lot better and they're no longer that thin either. I think the cymbals still might be a tad too loud but it's probably personal preference.

Yup, I think you're almost done, the newer sections stand out because of the complex chordal work and do a great job of expanding upon what you had before, good job. :D

i love this, though i could note the disconnect between the quality of the drums and the quality of the rest of the instruments. it felt kinda like the other instruments weren't quite as realistic as the percussion, which makes sense given your expertise with such, but it was noticable. I think its sweet anyways, its about time you submitted something! I still think your 600 A.D. marimba improvs would have been shoeins.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the bass (square wave?) used for the synth. The sample is simple and some might say cheap, but it is used BRILLIANTLY here. Great writing on the bass line.

I'd do something more with that lavos scream; it's sort of cheesy. I'd be curious to hear how it might sound with a bit of distortion.

I love all the synths in this. They're all, like the bass, simple and not high-end, but brilliantly used.

Production is nice; each element is clearly audible, and despite having a lot going on, it doesn't get muddy, and nothing gets lost in the mix.

tauce I took your advice about the lavos scream, though I'm not sure if you can hear it...

I also filled out the ending and did some other stuff by recommendation of my roommate nickthoveen (any of you on squaresound? you may know him from there). I'm getting really happy with this, all I need is a solo and i'm all set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://drumultima.googlepages.com/lavossketch.mp3

okay so SCREW THE SOLO i don't want it ANYMORE!!!!!!

I'M LIKE BASICALLY DONE WITH THIS!!!!!!!!!

if you have any last requests, and especially PRODUCTION VALUES ADVICE please let me know because i'm about to release this thing STRAIGHT INTO THE STRATOSPHERE!!!!!!!

I am FREAKING OUT

http://drumultima.googlepages.com/lavossketch.mp3

Background noise, noticed it around 0:30, keeps going.

Would like the bass to have more bass.

1:30 solo has some weird modulation effect on it, ridiculoously fast and a bit annoying. You should probably drop the effect level a bit.

1:56-2:45 feels a bit medley-itic and simplistic. Drums, bass, and different solo insturments for each part. Letting the insturments bleed over and back each other harmonically could fix that.

3:12 weirdly panned. Not badly, but weirdly, and when it pans back and forth it feels a bit wannabe-ish.

From 3:34 the organ feels like it's clashing. At 3:50 there's a lot going on, and it feels really cluttered.

4:17, wow! Perfect. You could use a less rude lead while in the break tho. In fact, it's not perfect anymore when the lead comes in. The one you've got now works great when the drums and everything comes in tho. It gets a little cluttered then, but doesn't feel as bad as before.

Ending feels a little long, tho.

That's what I think. Overall, this is great! I have a feeling it'll get a NO or a RESUB tho, because the J's are the J's. Do fix as much as you can before submitting, I want to see this on ocr.