Gario

Workshop Moderator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,398 posts
  • LocationVagabond in the Southern California region

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

MOD REVIEW:

Damn, you've got one sexy mix, here. The solos, the pacing, the production - it's all very tight.

The only thing I was afraid of before I listened to the sources (which I'm not familiar with) was that it'd be too conservative because of how tight and fitting it sounded, but apparently you have more than enough variation. That 50/50 'rule' is just a rule of thumb, really - it's more about making it feel like the original than anything, and you've got that feeling nailed on this one.

I'd say this is an easy pass, if you submit it. Nice, nice work on this one, guys!
Posted Image
<Insanctuary> I love humility; I eat it for breakfast.
Get involved! The Lufia Album, ORC and PRC are all looking for volunteers!

#22 zach72

zach72

Dan Hibiki (+75)

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:12 AM

Seriously groovy sounds and arrangement. I dig it! :D
[URL="http://www.thorgaming.com/feelthebeats/"][/URL]

#23 Phonetic Hero

Phonetic Hero

Temporal Duality Asst. Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:02 AM

The bass + clap was kind of distracting for me at the beginning before the meatier lead comes in, which is kind of a shame because there's some cool stuff that gets pushed back because of it (particularly the melodic sine part). However, I've never really been much for that kind of thing (in general, claps just sound really cheesy to me, especially paired with 4-on-the-floor kick drum parts), so I suppose it might be more of a personal preference... Once the other stuff gets going and there's more to grab your attention, I didn't notice it as much. Sweet lead work.

At 0:55, that lead note just ends really abruptly, and it feels very awkward imo.

Other than that though, I don't really have much. Plenty of Batman on the ol' snare there, everything gels together really well, and as Gario said, as long as you're good on source you're probably good to go. Timaeus, I remember commenting on a Castlevania track you had up a couple of summers ago; you've improved a ton, keep it up (chimpo, haven't heard much from you until recently, so I'm not too familiar with your stuff but.. yeah, uh, sounds good, keep it up :D )

#24 AngelCityOutlaw

AngelCityOutlaw

Dr. Robotnik (+2700)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:08 AM

I don't understand the Batman thing.

#25 timaeus222

timaeus222

Wario (+4000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,334 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

The bass + clap was kind of distracting for me at the beginning before the meatier lead comes in, which is kind of a shame because there's some cool stuff that gets pushed back because of it (particularly the melodic sine part). However, I've never really been much for that kind of thing (in general, claps just sound really cheesy to me, especially paired with 4-on-the-floor kick drum parts), so I suppose it might be more of a personal preference... Once the other stuff gets going and there's more to grab your attention, I didn't notice it as much. Sweet lead work.

At 0:55, that lead note just ends really abruptly, and it feels very awkward imo.

Other than that though, I don't really have much. Plenty of Batman on the ol' snare there, everything gels together really well, and as Gario said, as long as you're good on source you're probably good to go. Timaeus, I remember commenting on a Castlevania track you had up a couple of summers ago; you've improved a ton, keep it up (chimpo, haven't heard much from you until recently, so I'm not too familiar with your stuff but.. yeah, uh, sounds good, keep it up :D )

A lot of the bass and drumwork was influenced by zircon's 'Daft Drafts', so all of that was purposeful. The sine lead was leading into the upfront saw lead, so it was a little quiet for a bit. Glad you didn't notice something super-specific that I notice every time (which no one else notices) and can't figure out why it happens.

I hear you on that remark about claps being cheesy. Sometimes they are, I get it, but in the case of this snare layering, it shouldn't be all that bad. Definitely the style I was going for here. The later unlayered claps are all chimpazilla. Eh, I still liked them being there. ;D

At 0:52, the lead ends early to show off the ambience and delay. :)

Thanks! Yeah, that Castlevania remix was one of my first remixes, but since then I've been designing my own sounds, and in Zebra in particular; all but about 3 or 4 patches in this remix were made just for this or taken from my Zebra soundbank. :D

@Chris: Batman apparently means thwap. I never heard it either before like 2 days ago.
Zebra2 Soundbank || SoundCloud || Twitter || Facebook 

Might collab to add: Piano, E.Bass/Guitar/Piano, Drums, Synth, and Glitch FX.

"[T]he 4 on the floor is actually driven through the floor[.]" ~ OA

wk24xw.jpg

#26 Phonetic Hero

Phonetic Hero

Temporal Duality Asst. Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

I don't understand the Batman thing.

It came from anterroir, who's German. I'm guessing it was just a bad (and hilarious) translation. Oh google...

#27 Chimpazilla

Chimpazilla

Judge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

I'm so happy to see everyone liking this song so much! :smile:

I think the snare is layered perfectly for this dancey style. And my later claps add just the right amount of get-up-and-go without being toooo clappy.

Yeah that intro sine lead is meant to be mellow, a teaser for the epic first lead. And that short lead note was totally intentional to hear the gorgeous delay and the underlying EP chords.

As for "Batman..." that is a private joke between anterroir and me from two years ago. It's not a translation, just a bit of sillyness! Biff, bam, pow! (and listen to *that* snare haha!)

T - I know what "super-specific" thing you are talking about... I actually re-rendered three times trying to get rid of it... also couldn't find the cause... is it worth looking into further?

#28 timaeus222

timaeus222

Wario (+4000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,334 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Nah, that "thing" isn't a dealbreaker for me. Just a weird thing with the glide or something, no clue.

wk24xw.jpg

#29 Chimpazilla

Chimpazilla

Judge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Nah, that "thing" isn't a dealbreaker for me. Just a weird thing with the glide or something, no clue.

I just looked really carefully... it's between the kick and the avien lead. Tried a couple little things. Can't figure it out. No worries?

edit: found it... will send re-render to you shortly.

#30 anterroir

anterroir

Dan Hibiki (+75)

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationErfurt, Germany

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

Posted Image

#31 Chimpazilla

Chimpazilla

Judge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

Cloudhopping - submitted version

This song got submitted this morning. Thanks for that killer mod review, Gario! Thanks to everyone who commented here. This was a fun thread, and a fun song to make. Thanks especially to Timaeus. Can't wait to perform this miracle again with you, on another source, and soon.

D - that Batman pic - lmao :)

#32 Cash

Cash

Kirby (+1500)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Hey guys, great work you have here! Good luck with the panel! :-P
Posted Image
Alias: Cash and Change | SoundCloud | Twitter | Facebook

#33 Chimpazilla

Chimpazilla

Judge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

Hey guys, great work you have here! Good luck with the panel! :-P

What panel? We are hoping for "direct post!" ;-) Thanks C&C!

#34 JamJars

JamJars

Octorok (+25)

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

My lawd man, my ears haven't experienced this kind of joy since I first heard Theophany's Clocktown remix. I haven't even played the game and now all I want to do is sprint to Play n' Trade and throw piles of money at them. To be honest there isn't a word to describe how much I love this song, so "I glepsor this song!"

#35 AngelCityOutlaw

AngelCityOutlaw

Dr. Robotnik (+2700)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

Congrats on the sub!

It's gonna blow their minds.

#36 Chimpazilla

Chimpazilla

Judge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:12 AM

Oh gosh... to be compared with the joy of Theo's "Clocktown" is the largest compliment ever in the world. *blush* Thanks for that, I'm never gonna stop smiling now, ever. I glespor you very much for saying something like that!!! :)

#37 Emunator

Emunator

Judge, Double the Trouble! Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,450 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

Just wanted to chime in here too, I've already told Kristina personally but this is a fantastic mix, probably the best I've heard from either party involved. This is one of the last games I ever expected to see a remix from, too!

Love it, you two! :-D

0kqkzeB.png

· OCR Staff · Judge · Double the Trouble! Director ·

Soundcloud · OCR Artist Profile

#38 Cody Wedel

Cody Wedel

Double the Trouble! Co-Director

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

This is one of the last games I ever expected to see a remix from, too!

I agree, and this is coming from one of the most dear Yoshi Touch & Go fans. This mix speaks to me in so many ways <3

#39 Argle

Argle

Workshop Moderator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

Not familiar with the game, but sounds good to me.

#40 timaeus222

timaeus222

Wario (+4000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,334 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:05 AM

I decided to do a lil music video for this. =P

wk24xw.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

games | mixes | artists | albums