*NO* Final Fantasy Tactics 'Hero's Memories'

DragonAvenger

Hello,

I'd like to submit my melody of Final Fantasy Tactics' songs "Main Character's Theme" and "Memories."

ReMixer Name: Chris Belmont
Email: 
UserID: 33600

Name of Game Arranged: Final Fantasy Tactics
Name of Arrangement: Hero's Memories
Name of Individual Songs Arranged: Main Character's Theme; Memories

The song can also be heard on my SoundCloud at: 

Thank you,
Chris
----------------
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

The guitar tone is really nice here, and I love that the sad and loneliness of the original (Hero's Theme) is kept in tact(ics) here. For me there are a couple issue, mainly that I feel like the track gets to be a little bit too repetitive on the main motif, and that overall it holds pretty close to the source. I think a little more variation is what is needed here, though I think it's overall pretty close, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple yesses here.

Definitely hope to hear this one again!

NO (borderline)(please resubmit!)

Final Fantasy Tactics! Such good music, and the theme chosen here is just gorgeous. So glad to see someone giving it the love it deserves - the guitar translates from this particular source's harp fantastically. The added harmonies behind it adds a nice bit of depth that wasn't there before.

I will say that there is a fair bit of repetition in this, though. 0:28 - 0:54 is something that repeats almost precisely at 0:55 and 2:08. You certainly could've done more to make those parts sound a little more interesting and fresh, as this makes the arrangement sound a bit static. I will note that the short length does help you a bit: clocking in at 2:38 means that right when the listener is catching on to the repetitions, the song ends.

While that's not a small issue, that's really the only thing I can say that would hold this track back. The arrangement, while conservative, is otherwise well crafted, and takes the sources to some daring territory later in the track (roughly beginning at 1:22). The arpeggios and slides just sound pristine, and the overall performance has a great deal of soul to it. This track makes my hairs stand on end (in a good way) - I can't say no to that without a big reason to do so.

YES

• Gario pinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

Some ever-present hiss in the recording that's annoying, but not a dealbreaker. Sticks to the source melody's pretty closely, going for interpretation via live performance dynamics and some expansive lines. The bassline brought in at :27 was so quiet, it was almost a non-factor; it would have been nice for it to sound more overt and defined, but it wasn't a huge deal. It was louder when you repeated the verse again from :55.

Good subtle change in the mood at 1:20 that flowed seamlessly from the prior section. The guitar layering was effective throughout. At 2:08, the track went back to repeating :28's section with basically a copy-and-paste, then a quick ending at 2:33.

If 2:08-2:37 wasn't just a cut-and-paste of the first section for the finish, this would have been a pass. It's a lovely expansion that I wouldn't be mad if it was posted as is. However, when the arrangement is only 2 1/2 minutes, I don't believe there should be any extended copy-and-paste writing for something so short. Great stuff so far, and, like DragonAvenger, I see this picking up support, even though I think it needs just a bit more substance/variation in the arrangement. Nice work here, Chris, no matter the outcome of the vote.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/05/08 - (1Y/2N) Final Fantasy Tactics 'Hero's Memories'
  • 2 weeks later...

The conservative and repetitive nature of this is my biggest concern as well.  It stops being a cover at 1:22, past the halfway mark, then returns to being one at 2:08.  I strongly disagree with Gario that it takes to the end for the listener to catch on to the repetitions; the first section after the introduction is a repetition right away, just with more instruments, and then it repeats a third time, almost identically to the second.  And even 1:22-1:55 is still at its core the melody looped again, even though it has some really gorgeous guitar chords layered over it.  Even the ending is just the end of a loop; if it had looped again right after the last note, it wouldn't have sounded out of place.

Additionally, there's a sour chord that plays at 0:06, 0:33, 1:00, and 2:13.  It's pretty severe and I'm really surprised no one's mentioned it so far.  Edit: I'll concede the superior knowledge of my colleagues.  It sounds unpleasant to me but I guess it's a matter of taste.

Other than that one chord, this is some fantastic playing, and the more arranged section is beautiful.  I would love to hear more work in that direction, and it kills me that the rest of this is so conservative and so repetitive.  Please send us something with more of that!

NO

2 hours ago, MindWanderer said:

Additionally, there's a sour chord that plays at 0:06, 0:33, 1:00, and 2:13.  It's pretty severe and I'm really surprised no one's mentioned it so far.

That's a viio6 chord (scale degrees 2,4,7) used typically. It's a diminished chord, but it's one that's been used in such a manner ever since tonal music was a thing. Getting more technical, the dissonance is approached and resolved as it should be, according to contrapuntal second species rules on passing tones (the dissonance is approached and resolved with a consonant interval by sequential step). There is no issue with the chord usage, there.

Pretty OST choices.

Like the opening with the acoustic guitar.  Beautiful playing.

Somewhat conservative for the first main section of the song, but I wouldn't go as far to call it a straight cover.  There's not a ton of variation on the melody, but quite a bit more going on the backing parts to differentiate this mix from the OST.  Agreed on the copy-pasta crits previously mentioned above.  :58 could've used some variation from the previous material and the ending felt a bit lazy with the rehash.

Production overall sounds pretty solid.  I didn't even notice the hiss until Larry pointed it out, so it's not a big deal to me.

This is close with a bit more arrangement development it should be golden.

On 1/9/2017 at 2:55 PM, Liontamer said:

No one's mentioned it because it's not a sour chord. :-)

MindWanderer hazing +1? ;)

NO resubmit, please

• Nutritious changed the title to 2016/05/08 - (1Y/4N) Final Fantasy Tactics 'Hero's Memories'