Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Midi: http://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP85_bk64_freezeezy_peak.mid

Youtube:

Deadline: Dec 28th @ 1PM

Vote Ends: Dec 30th @ 11PM

Submit your remix Here when completed.

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
  2. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell.
  3. If you decide to do a genre swap (i.e. symphonic to techno), make sure that the conditions of #2 are met.
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
  6. Please don't make any comments about people's entries - including your own - until the Voting process is concluded.  BONUS entries are exempt of this rule.
  7. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

22 hours ago, Mr. L said:

Entry submitted!

I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone's come up with! :D

EDIT: Sorry, I tagged my entry incorrectly. :(

Fixed.  I'm gonna extend the round in hopes you 2 won't be lonely.  Seems a bit bleak though.  Sorry I haven't had energy to even think about doing any musacs this time around x_x

Man I forgot to get my vote in time. I still wanna share my thought though so here goes...

1. Silverpool - I really liked the changes in tempo both midway through and at the end. It was a great way to keep things interesting. The classic game sounds used were cool too. It's almost like there could be a secret retro part in the game. On the flip side of that, the sound used for the main melody around 1:07 was a little harsh for my ears and took away from the overall feeling that you had given the track earlier which was more "light and fluffy" if that makes sense. I also thought that your track didn't need as much reverb or delay as was used.  It didn't necessarily hurt and wasn't too distracting but it didn't help either. Still though, the build up to the 2:00 minute mark was my favorite part of this whole competition. Very creative. Good stuff.

2. This one definitely had a more holiday vibe to it. I think you chose your sounds very well with the piano being my favorite part of your remix. With that being said, there was some room for improvisation with that piano that you could have added in my opinion. I think that could have taken this one over the top. The shaker in the background was nice and fit the vibe you gave the track but became repetitive after a while. I honestly don't have any good suggestions at the moment for what else you could have done with it though and that's the way it was in the original. I also like that electric piano sound used around 57 sec. It would have been cool to hear that in a more featured role. A very fitting remix.

Overall, this original song was tough. It sounds somewhat simple to cover but doesn't leave much room for change in this type of competition. I honestly have no idea what I would have done differently so hats off to you both.      

22 hours ago, Chadlee said:

Man I forgot to get my vote in time. I still wanna share my thought though so here goes...

1. Silverpool - I really liked the changes in tempo both midway through and at the end. It was a great way to keep things interesting. The classic game sounds used were cool too. It's almost like there could be a secret retro part in the game. On the flip side of that, the sound used for the main melody around 1:07 was a little harsh for my ears and took away from the overall feeling that you had given the track earlier which was more "light and fluffy" if that makes sense. I also thought that your track didn't need as much reverb or delay as was used.  It didn't necessarily hurt and wasn't too distracting but it didn't help either. Still though, the build up to the 2:00 minute mark was my favorite part of this whole competition. Very creative. Good stuff.

2. This one definitely had a more holiday vibe to it. I think you chose your sounds very well with the piano being my favorite part of your remix. With that being said, there was some room for improvisation with that piano that you could have added in my opinion. I think that could have taken this one over the top. The shaker in the background was nice and fit the vibe you gave the track but became repetitive after a while. I honestly don't have any good suggestions at the moment for what else you could have done with it though and that's the way it was in the original. I also like that electric piano sound used around 57 sec. It would have been cool to hear that in a more featured role. A very fitting remix.

Overall, this original song was tough. It sounds somewhat simple to cover but doesn't leave much room for change in this type of competition. I honestly have no idea what I would have done differently so hats off to you both.      

There is no voting process for when only 1 eligible entry :P

Actually there's still an hour and a half left to vote :P

On 12/27/2017 at 9:55 PM, HoboKa said:

Kinda off-base and unrelated to MnP, but I had to put my cat down today, so if there is delays in the process of MnP - you guys know why.  I SHOULD be on the ball, but it's too early to say.  Hope you guys are having happy holidays.  <3

Sorry to hear about that :( Losing a pet is always heart wrenching.

Sorry I'm so late in saying anything here (man, the holidays really flew by...)! I hope everyone had happy holidays!

---

I know this is really late and I don't mean to bring back bad memories, but I'm sorry to hear about your cat, HoboKa - they're like family, and it's so difficult when they go.

---

Silverpool, I loved the retro vibe you had here, and I really enjoyed your synth choices! Sorry I don't have much to say - I really enjoyed your entry, so thanks for submitting! :)

Chadlee, thanks for the comments! Yeah, I did want to do more with the piano, especially toward the end, but I was at a loss as for what to do at the time (glad you liked it!)

For my entry, HoboKa's comment about nostalgia / Super Mario 64 really steered the direction I wanted to go this time - I wanted to bring in some Nintendo 64 vibes with the sounds, so there's some new(er) (the piano and toy piano) and old (strings and the accordion) in there. Heck, the strings are from a Banjo-Kazooie soundfont, so, yeah. :)

Now then, gonna go check out the next MnP! :D