OCR01590 - Highway Hunter "Fast Cars, Russian Cigars"

djpretzel

Highway Hunter: Revenge of the Hoo-Hoos. :D

Awesome arrangement as usual, blad. Was definitely a little disappointed in the sound quality though (can't afford some strings with your 38G's/year? :P), and it seems pretty borderline in terms of the 50/50 rule the judges have been citing. I'm almost positive they've NORESUB'd other submissions for lesser evils. Perhaps this represents a subtle change of focus in the panel? Or perhaps B-Unit was holding Larry's girlfriend hostage for vote ransom?

In any case, glad to see this on the site. Not to mention Karl himself...good to see you're still around. ;)

Wow, heh heh....this one caught me offguard. The slow start lead me to believe something of a considerably slower nature was to follow.

Silly me for doubting the writeup. Lesson learned. :-)

A delightfully upbeat and considerably..."Frenchy" tune. Very awesome.

Not sure how appropriate it is to acknowledge Karl's salary, but if he's ok with it, that's fine.

Awesome arrangement as usual, blad. Was definitely a little disappointed in the sound quality[...], and it seems pretty borderline in terms of the 50/50 rule the judges have been citing. I'm almost positive they've NORESUB'd other submissions for lesser evils. Perhaps this represents a subtle change of focus in the panel? Or perhaps B-Unit was holding Larry's girlfriend hostage for vote ransom?

I'd say you're looking too deeply into it. You weigh both issues (production/arrangement) and judge accordingly. In this case, there's a nice amount of realism in the sequencing, even if the sound quality is lacking. The sample quality could be improved, but the samples are used very well. You don't need hotter samples, just use them effectively.

Not sure how appropriate it is to acknowledge Karl's salary, but if he's ok with it, that's fine.

I'd say you're looking too deeply into it. You weigh both issues (production/arrangement) and judge accordingly. In this case, there's a nice amount of realism in the sequencing, even if the sound quality is lacking. The sample quality could be improved, but the samples are used very well. You don't need hotter samples, just use them effectively.

A couple things:

- I published my own salary in another thread so it's ok. :)

- How's the gf, Larry?

- I appreciate that the judges still let my low tech music through the panel. I appreciate you guys.

Fantastic, the piano is akin to a firework display. The string synths and drums work fantastically well together. I actually like the synthy feel to the strings and accordian it reminds me a lot of the one battle theme from UNLIMITED SaGa (which is one of the highlights of the soundtrack).

I'm now also envious of Karl's salary in addition to his talent, kudos to Mr B.

• 2 weeks later...

The intro is indeed very different from what follows. Nice idea. The song itself is a quirky, upbeat tune, especially from 1:00 onward. For some reason, this remix makes me think of a town in a Suikoden game; it all sounds so lively and bright. So yeah, russian cigars and fast cars aren't exactly what I think of when I listen to this, but the mental image it evokes is nice nonetheless.

Also, I don't mind the synthy fell it has at all. Works well with the atmosphere.

Nice work.

• 4 weeks later...

Only one page of reviews?! More people should download songs from games they have never played or heard of. Great songs like this one are getting ignored!

I was initially hesitant about putting this on my MP3 player. The sample quality was meh and it wasn't really my cup of tea. But I put it on anyway. Since then, the mix has grown on me like some sort of parasite. It's great, it's quirky, it's charming and most importantly, it's FUN.

I can totally picture stereotypical french violinists/accordionnists (?) dueling for the spotlight while playing this. Awesomeness.:grin:

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

PRC81! That was a very fun round :D

Of all the rounds I hosted during my time dealing with the PRC, this is one of these that I remember most fondly. Highway Hunter still remains relatively unknown by many today, but the response behind it was amazing and to see even Bladiator and Suzumebachi come towards the source and work on arrangements for it really lifted the competition's profile.

And in true Bladiator fashion, the core melodic elements of the source are mainly used as melodic motifs for a more interpretive tango, almost reminiscent to what he handled with "moontang" a little earlier that year. Almost everything involved - the stylistic violin lead main parts, the downbeat section led by the accordion, and even that wonderful key change right at the end - carry both elements of the source material and hints of Karl's personality, and so I felt really proud to see him take the win with this track back then!

Course, even now the samples are feeling kind of old, and that's something that I stressed too much with his works when he was even active within the community, but he makes up for it with a RIDICULOUS amount of charisma within the writing. And even then they've been appropriately spaced out and levelled, and you can't help but feel somewhat cheery over this setting.

I'm still glad that Karl is still making music now, though his presence isn't quite as sharp as it used to be. But I'm still looking out for his next few arrangements, both as a fellow vgpiano stablemate and as a fan of his work :D

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01590 - Highway Hunter "Fast Cars, Russian Cigars"