OCR02191 - Missile Master "Frozen Hotslug"

djpretzel

Sweet mix. Nice use of static, and distortion on that drum sound. Gives the song a nice edge whereas the rest of the tones are fairly soft. Love the bell pad sound panned left, and the strong drum buildup at the ending that blasts the song out. Pretty sudden ending with that pitch bend, but it works. I dig the rhythm at 1:54 and the generally atmospheric "lead" sounds. Cool pad modulation, etc etc.. Nice work, man!

• 2 months later...

Oh my God, this is bloody awesome. 0:30 onwards is badass, but 1:10 onwards is even badasser. Nice use of distortion, too.

I just wish this remix was longer. As in, 6 minutes or so.

Another winner by Mazedude, I guess. Too bad no-one listened to this because it's from a game hardly anyone has ever heard of.

• 7 months later...

Ahh now THIS is definitive Mazedude. You are working those samples, son. Loved the vinyl intro and the transition into the song proper, and how you kept those lowfi sounds coming back. This is all kinds of retro. The sound design here is so damn good that I just lose myself in it. So much warmth and bitcrushing and reverb and GAH its really hard disecting everything in this thing. Indeed you have achieved the feeling of frozen with this.

Above all else the percussion in this song is a fucking all-star. Give yourself a pat on the back from me because it has left my jaw on the floor.

Great icy soundscape, and a gradual build featuring what sounds like distant cannon shots. The sound landscape is really well arranged and is expansive enough to be interesting for multiple listens, each revealing something new.

The bass sound specifically is perfect to me. It has a really interesting modulation, but a solid attack, so the little quick runs it occasionally pulls off sound really tight. The percussion is really interesting too, and great panning. Super-good, I hope more people have a chance to check out this track.

While a little short, the time allows Mazedude to really bring the retro back into "frozen wasteland." (What? You can spell "frozen wasteland" without retro? In fact, you have to spell it that way? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO) Anyways, quality over quantity, and here the artist really succeeds. It makes me feel like I was sent back in time to an icy tundra, while something went wrong with the time machine and my surroundings are all fuzzy and 8-bit. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The source material, while not quite as complex as the boss theme I was exposed for the other Missile Master track earlier this week, feels very restricted in melody but I can trust Mazedude to work well with this if he can even turn 3-second jingles into full-on songs.

Stylistically it shares similarities with Kunal's original with the old vinyl record scratching, the gentle drum'n'bass percussion and the percussive melodic synths being used. Though as the track draws on, more of Mazedude's complexity starts to weave in and give in more chaos to what can be seen as a more peaceful source material. It can be seen as a pretty safe adaptation, though the key change right to the end with the final climax was definitely something to keep intensifying the mood leading towards its closure. It's brief, but it works!

I also got to give credit where credit is due for the awesome panning work done towards the instrumentation - they really managed to thicken up the nature of the expense being portrayed here, with a lot of harsh panning details particularly with the subtle explosions also being noted to draw in a potent experience.

So it's a solid way to pay homage to Kunal's score, and I'm glad to see that as fellow Bad Dudes they're still sticking together :) It may not be the most expansive of Mazedude's works, but in regards to the Missile Master score it has is place here as a potently friendly tribute. Nice work!

Liking the chill static intro here, and the entire atmosphere of this ReMix does scream icy area. The bass sounded nice and I really enjoyed the speed-up just after a minute. The whole thing got pretty busy near the end without sounding like a mess, so really nice. I don't think it was that short, but it was a bit shorter than I would have thought. Still, long or short, Mazedude delivers on this ReMix.

• 6 months later...

A Mazedude mix of Kunal's work!

This is a pretty short mix by Mazedude standards - I do find it interesting as with most Mazedude songs. Mazedude doesn't cease to amaze me with his creative songs in general, and this song does some interesting things with percussion-like drumming & beats going on that is D&Bish.

Nice work as always, and it amazes me that all of this is done on a tracker!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02191 - Missile Master "Frozen Hotslug"