ANNUAL FUNDRAISER!! Help us take OCR to the next level by supporting us on PATREON!!

Old 03-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Chris Clow
Luigi (+2000)

It seems very similar to the original piece until he brings in the bassline at 0:40. After that, it retains the exotic feel of the original piece, but it doesn't expand on it a whole lot.

Sig by DoulifÚe
Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Andrew Luers, Judge, Unsung Heroes Director
Big Boss (+6000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

A good addition to the original that stays pretty static.
The mono sound hinders this quite a bit, which makes it sound midi-tastic despite the use of pretty good samples.
the beats were a nice addition, and the percussive-heavy soundscape gives it a very nice feel when mixed with the sweeping synths, but I can't help but imagine how good this would sound if I was listening to this surrounded by all the different parts rather than listening to it through a straw.
The fadeout started just as I was hoping the theme would be altered a bit, so I think it runs a little short, but despite a few flaws, it's a good mix.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Deia Vengen, Judge, Unsung Heroes Asst. Director
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

When I first joined this site and downloaded every CT mix, this one apparently never made my original cut, because it's not in my list of CT mixes. Listening to it now, though, I have a much better appreciation for it. The style is obviously (dur) focused on the drums and bass, which I'll get to in a bit, but the rest of the sounds are pretty good. I'm especially liking the marimba, it works super well in it's function, and the delay on it later sounds cool. Nice throw in of Crono's Theme, btw.

The ethnic percussion really adds some flare to this, and fits in perfectly. Reminds me a little of 65 Million BC, which is a nice touch. Along with that, the variation of percussion throughout the mix is done well. One thing that's throwing me off is the snare roll, which sounds very fake compared to the rest of the percussion. Aside from that, nice work.

I will agree with OA, the fade-out happens just as I wanted a little more variation, but rather a short visit than an overly long one. Nice work, glad I gave this one another chance.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Beverley Wooff, Project Chaos Asst. Director
Mother Brain (+4000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

On the contrary, when exploring the field of CT coverage this was one that I was drawn into simply because of the raw energy provided to it. I also remember that ABG later covered it in the style of a Grand Theft Auto car radio broadcast back in the VGMix days (no idea if it exists anymore), so it seems as if he has a passion for the source for some time.

It may be an ugly mono recording, but taking that concern aside it starts off taking the dangerous riffs of the source material and using it to build what seems to be a more worldly DnB take, or rather, "literal Jungle" for what seems to be made out. The xyolophone to me sounds very firm and fitting, though I would've thought some additional envelope processing to the pan flute might've done some good. The main theme cameo at 1:15 made a good builddown/bridge into section B of the source, so I'm cool with what happened there.
Yet, like a lot of mixes these days it's handled almost too much like actual BGM in that we have a riff leading back to where you started and a fadeout. I know it's OverClocked "Remix", but it's not the best way to stand the test of time if it has that kind of an abrupt nature to it, even when in comparison to its bretheren.

For the time, I'd say it's a cool electronica entry. It's shown a considerable amount of age now in comparison to other entries most notably in regards to production and execution, but if you can tolerate the genre then it should be worth checking out. Though these days, I know that ABG's skills as an electronica musician have improved tenfold, so the quality gap between this and even "Third Eye" is quite substantial; you're going to have to be mindful of that if you're to check out this old quickie which can still be considered a 'goodie' to the CT mix collection.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:24 PM

Damn, this sampled marimba hurts in my ears somehow. Probably because I'm playing it myself.