Virtual Reality Head Tracking for Nintendo Wii

Shadow Wolf

I admit, I was skeptical until I actually sat down to watch the video. This is pretty freaking sweet. To be able to create a real-looking 3-D environment using a Wii (and while viewing it on YouTube, no less) was amazing. It seems clear to me that this is the next evolution of gaming, after the motion-sensing Wii controllers.

Although it seems just as possible that I'll never see this actually put in a real game and everyone including me will forget this ever existed in six months.

Simply awesome - every third word he says sounds like Kermit the Frog, but all the other words he says sound not at all like Kermit the Frog.

That Wii thing was pretty nice too. But, you know what Nintendo's going to do with this, don't you? Wario Ware and Mario Party minigames where you have to shake you head as fast as you can. Then 6 months later you'll have to order a new head from Nintendo.

Actually, I think it's a really good idea, if done right. The Wii remote seemed like a good idea if done right, but... there are so many games that use it badly, and so few that use it well. I really do hope there are games that will use it though. I haven't played Umbrella Chronicles, but I could imagine how that kind of thing could really enhance the mood. And isn't there some Wii development kit coming out, or that's already out? Heck, if that guy makes that demo into a Wii game, I'll buy it. He could make it a game where the targets start flying at you and you have to hit them with your head :)!!

Or.... Zidane's Total Rampage Arena - with Wi-Fi!

While it is cool, I don't think there is real gaming potential there yet. Where is the feedback, the control, what will be the proper perspective? Would that thing result in eye strain like so many virtual reality 3D projection often does?

I'm even more skeptical since most game developers are struggling to make proper use of the Wiimote right now.

His main website has some really cool demos of how to create an interactive whiteboard with an IR pen and a Wiimote...good stuff.

I'm tempted to implement both of those sometime. I would just need to buy the Wiimote, buy the projector, get the necessary software, create the stands and IR stuff...

A little bit of work, but probably worth it. And definitely useful for poor college students without tablets and presentations to make.

It wouldn't be hard for any of the current gen consoles to emulate this idea, I'd think. Just ship a pair of those glasses with infrared lights and a USB-connected IR detector (a stripped down Wiimote, essentially), and bam, there's your virtual reality setup.

The only issue I see is if Nintendo has any sort of patent over the Wiimote setup. In which case, they're the only one of the big three who could do it. And then, there's still an issue of taking the kid's idea... in order for them to use his idea, they'd have to buy it from him or hire him or something, otherwise he could sue.

So, when Nintendo whipped up this whole Wiimote thing, did they explore any of these ideas? Did they try it out on different things and in different ways to see what they could do with the system?

Because, if one guy can figure this stuff out, then at least a few of the people that actually designed and made the thing should have come across at least one of the same uses.

+1 vote for use of this in a Wii game.