Sign in to follow this  
Arek the Absolute

Super Smash Bros Brawl

great matches jam

seriously

good times

Yes sir, those were really, really good. You make me feel bad about my Zamus... :(

Haha, and that jab => grab is really effective. Good stuff sir, good stuff. You will make a fine Sagat.

I'm trading in my copy of Brawl today. All my ranting has finally come to fruition. I've flirted with trading it in before, but my wife always said no, that I'd regret it. Well, we don't even play Brawl together anymore, and the last time we talked about it, she said, "Sure, why not?" So Brawl is gone, so I can pick up Disgaea DS.

So from this point on, my posts will pretty much be Melee-related, although I'll try to keep up with developments in Brawl's metagame (or lack thereof). I'll still try to help you guys out if you have questions, since even though I don't like playing Brawl, for some reason I like reading about it. Just double-check everything I say and take it with a grain of salt, seeing as how I will no longer have the game.

Yes sir, those were really, really good. You make me feel bad about my Zamus... :(

Haha, and that jab => grab is really effective. Good stuff sir, good stuff. You will make a fine Sagat.

I'm trading in my copy of Brawl today. All my ranting has finally come to fruition. I've flirted with trading it in before, but my wife always said no, that I'd regret it. Well, we don't even play Brawl together anymore, and the last time we talked about it, she said, "Sure, why not?" So Brawl is gone, so I can pick up Disgaea DS.

So from this point on, my posts will pretty much be Melee-related, although I'll try to keep up with developments in Brawl's metagame (or lack thereof). I'll still try to help you guys out if you have questions, since even though I don't like playing Brawl, for some reason I like reading about it. Just double-check everything I say and take it with a grain of salt, seeing as how I will no longer have the game.

:(

Won't be the same without you Jam.

I am happy to know I did give you a good few last matches for ya.

Hopefully you get brawl again someday so we can play some more.

I haven't played brawl in ages. Honestly, I just haven't found it to be nearly as much fun as melee.

It could possibly be because you played Melee so much. While the leap between the original and Melee was greatly significant, turning a simple, imbalanced fighter into a more strategic, fast-paced fighter, the leap between Melee and Brawl wasn't nearly as far. Add on the fact that you've been playing Melee for nearly seven years and it's easy to see why you'd be tired of it.

I still like playing once and a while, playing music from my iPod, playing maybe one match with every character, then shutting it off. Sometimes I go back to Subspace just for the hell of it, but it's definitely lost something. And I didn't even play Melee as much as some of you guys.

I dun like BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAWL.

It was fun for awhile.

Until I beat the SSE and completed a good chunk of the challenges.

Then it got really boring.

So I returned that shit.

I'll stick wit dem CPS2 and NeoGeo fighters.

I still like playing once and a while, playing music from my iPod, playing maybe one match with every character, then shutting it off. Sometimes I go back to Subspace just for the hell of it, but it's definitely lost something. And I didn't even play Melee as much as some of you guys.

Who did you main in Melee?

I might be going to a local tournament on Friday. Nothing big, just a bunch of friends in a gaming group, but there are small prizes. So even though I know I'll get my ass handed to me (especially considering I don't own the game and don't play much AT ALL since I have little free time), I want to participate. Just for fun, ya know?

When I have played before, I've usually done so as Lucario, Marth, or Pokémon Trainer. I've also picked up Zero Suit Samus recently. I have problems with Marth because I keep trying to play him like I did in Melee (guess what? IT DOESN'T WORK TOO WELL), and I know PT kinda sucks (I do ok with Charizard though). Lucario has been my best, since I've played him the most, but my skill with ZSS has risen quickly in the short time I've played her.

So my question is this: any general tips for me? I'm going to try to spend some time working up some "skill" in the next few days so I don't make a complete fool of myself, but I don't know where I should focus my efforts.

Since you've said you don't have a lot of experience with Brawl, I would focus on an understanding of the basics of the new physics engine as opposed to any character specific things. Getting out of a Melee mindset will help you more than any advanced techs will IMO.

Sorry I can't do more specific advice -- I haven't played Brawl for a good month or so, and don't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

Man, I'm guessing that youtube cannot understand my camera-generated .mov's. I'll have to convert them or upload them to a server that understands them. Too bad, I had some hilarious Melee fights.

I might be going to a local tournament on Friday. Nothing big, just a bunch of friends in a gaming group, but there are small prizes. So even though I know I'll get my ass handed to me (especially considering I don't own the game and don't play much AT ALL since I have little free time), I want to participate. Just for fun, ya know?

When I have played before, I've usually done so as Lucario, Marth, or Pokémon Trainer. I've also picked up Zero Suit Samus recently. I have problems with Marth because I keep trying to play him like I did in Melee (guess what? IT DOESN'T WORK TOO WELL), and I know PT kinda sucks (I do ok with Charizard though). Lucario has been my best, since I've played him the most, but my skill with ZSS has risen quickly in the short time I've played her.

So my question is this: any general tips for me? I'm going to try to spend some time working up some "skill" in the next few days so I don't make a complete fool of myself, but I don't know where I should focus my efforts.

Stick to Lucario. Of all the characters you mentioned, he offers you the best chance to win.

Read this thread, posts 1-20 (and focus on post #19)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=189767

Also, watch as many videos of Azen's Lucario as you can between now and Friday. Here's one I found:

Just copy what you see/read. Watching videos and reading threads on SWF are the best way to get better quickly, since you can copy what you see/read without really having to understand it. But if you want to get really good, you might need a copy of the game at some point (then again, you might not. It is Brawl after all). Basically, just always remain calm. Lucario is the only character in the history of Smash that rewards you for sucking. As long as you don't allow yourself to get gimped, your chances of winning actually increase as you take damage (to a certain extent, of course). Good luck!