I want to build you a computer

prophetik music

Well in that case, you learn all the basic skills you need for building a computer in kindergarten when you're putting together LEGOs. :) It doesn't really help to know whether the CPU you're getting is big-endian or little-endian, or any of that extremely low-level stuff you learn in O&A (my friends preferred to call it "Org/ASM" for obvious reasons).

Unless you're actually printing circuits and making your own components from scratch or something...THEN that might come in handy, although an EE major would have a much easier time I imagine. But that's just crazy...I've never heard of anyone even trying that.

My dad knows how to do that...but he was a career electrician, who learned that work from his dad, since his teens, and he just retired 2 years ago.

On the other hand, He doesn't know how to put together a modern desktop (although that has more to do with him never having had to do it. If he wanted to learn, I could teach him myself pretty quickly, but seeing as how I know how, he doesn't have to learn ;) )

He just says "Boy! Fix this thing." (I'm 32 and he still calls me "boy" :roll:)

The software you install, it's legal software or is it acquired through questionable means?

I'm interested in this. Not right now but definitely in the future. I'd need a PC CG powerhouse good for digital painting, high end modeling and animation. That's my desirable machine so I'm sure it'll be much but I would like it cheaper if possible.

• 2 weeks later...

now that the 9800s have finally come out (at 599 a pop), 8800s should be dropping soon.

that said, i've seen two different 9600GTs for 149$ (after a 20-30$ mail-in rebate) - XFX and MSI both sell one at that cost. neodestiny's actually getting one of the MSI cards for his box, complete with free game (th witcher, WHICH ROCKS)

now that the 9800s have finally come out (at 599 a pop), 8800s should be dropping soon.

that said, i've seen two different 9600GTs for 149$ (after a 20-30$ mail-in rebate) - XFX and MSI both sell one at that cost. neodestiny's actually getting one of the MSI cards for his box, complete with free game (th witcher, WHICH ROCKS)

Heh...

the 8800s weren't too badly priced to begin with, if I recall correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
eh - you're missing the point. i still get a dvd drive for less than half of what it costs normally to get one...and now that hd dvd's are dead, they sell on ebay for cheaper than normal dvds.

sounds good to me.

Good point, I over looked that. From a price point, thats a good buy but I always try to futureproof my parts as best as I can and buying something that is already dead technology would seem a bit pointless, even if it is cheap.

How do you feel about writing me a love song?

what the hell? since when does hardware = love?

@gt - i'm up for hand delivering stuff for whoever, as long as it's reasonable. however, up to this point i have mailed almost everything i've built. so, yeah, i'll ship to cali...but don't expect me to drive three days just to hold your hand while you plug in some USBs =)