I want to build you a computer

prophetik music

might as well update this.

i build computers for pretty cheap. i've sold systems to a lot of OCR folks (like, 40+ at this point). i do a lot with specialized hardware. i also charge next to nothing for my services - just 10% of the cost of the parts, plus 50$. this means that for a monster system with 1500$ of hardware under the hood - which might cost $3k or more at a boutique builder - only costs about 1700$ for me to select parts, build it, and test it. that's a killer deal.

if you've got questions or just want a quote, please let me know. i have no problem just talking hardware with you if that's all you've got the time for. i don't charge for advice =)

pretty much i just like playing with new hardware, and this gives me an opportunity to do that. i also usually have used parts for sale if you want to lower your price further.

feel free to drop me a line to get some info about what i'm selling at any given time.

>you probably don't know enough about computers to build one yourself.

I think on this forum that would be especially false.

i can build it for you for less than half of what you'd pay for a similar computer through dell, lenovo (microsoft), hp, acer, etc.

Explain this part. Do you personally get an especially hot cut rate deal on hardware, or are you referring to the cost difference anyone would save when building a machine themselves?

I think on this forum that would be especially false.

Explain this part. Do you personally get an especially hot cut rate deal on hardware, or are you referring to the cost difference anyone would save when building a machine themselves?

actually, when you look at the whole of ocr, you'd find that most people here don't know enough about the hardware side of computers to select and install the best components for their system. or, they knew at one point and don't know about some of the more modern components and the special stuff you need to worry about.

and yeah, i can probably finagle a decent deal on parts. i have two friends who work both in electronics - one at a custom computer shop (he gets 15% off on parts) and one with the agency that sells the stuff seized through a bunch of bank and police seizures.

@ga jedi knight - look me up when you start having problems. we might be able to save some of the hardware (optical drives, hard drives, etc) for your new machine.

I am friends with prophet (I live within 10 minutes of him) and he does solid work, the rig he is using now is pretty sweet. He has helped me out a lot on many occasions.

I actually custom built a liquid-cooled rig, nice frosty temperatures, it runs like a dream. If anyone has any questions about liquid-cooling or building a computer in general, feel free to PM me.

I love building computers. Although I haven't been able to work with much BTX equipment yet, I haven't put one together since about may of '06.

BTX stuff is kind of hard to find. Newegg doesn't really offer much in that area. I guess motherboards themselves aren't too hard to find. It's the cases that actually are meant for btx and take advantage of the layout that are hard to find. There are cases here and there that support it, but they were really just atx cases slightly modified to use btx.

Here's a good board I found while looking around the web.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=D955XCS&cpc=SCH

hey zach! long time no see!

i despise btx. the whole point was for the extreme heat issues that mobos were suffering as a result of the pentium 4 chip, and now that the c2d's are so much more popular there's just no need for a single-core chip like that anymore. crappy buss speeds, too - you pay the same cost for a socket 775 3.0ghz at 800mhz that you do for a c2d at 2.4ghz, but with a 1033 buss. almost the same speed, and the c2d has two cores to the p4's 1.

ifrit, contact me at some point. we might be able to work something out =)