OCR01690 - Grim Fandango "The Enlightened Alaskan"

djpretzel

Short n' Good.

I didn't notice when the track was ended really.

Just went on repeat all the way and captured every part in me.

Been listening on this soundtrack for long period a while ago.

A really good OST.

This mix I think is really smooth and breathing.

Love your work with dynamics.

Reminds me a little of your "Minotaur Nightmares" which I adore.

Exotic work.

Really nice flow.

I just figured out the music of this game last month. Never played this one, but it surely has an awesome soundtrack.

A very cool adaptation it is. The mix brings up new feelings with scary choirs, panned pan flutes and distorted evil leads. There was some tabla percussion on the source tune as well. However, this time it made fusion with noised drum synths and magic wind chimes.

That was really well done, certainly one of my favorite Mazedude remixes! I love the drums; what instrument is that toward the beginning that sounds Asian? (Egyptian?) Was that just a wave or was it an actual sample? Man, I loved it so much!! Especially the dual synth leads :D

Congrats,

~jace

This is so incredibly awesome. I can't put how much I love this mix into words. It has such an amazing feel to it and feels like it should be in some incredibly well-done Tim Burton movie; which, from the sound of it would be a Grim Fandango movie. One of my favorite tracks form mazedude and possibly on the site.

Very amazing production as well.

A great sonic journey, the sounds and textures are excellent. The choir is well used, and the synths are sinuous and hypnotic. I especially love the harmonized synth that comes in near the end. All the sounds chosen are perfect; you never know what will be appearing next, and when it does, it always fits.

There are so many layers that it takes several listens to even begin to get to the core.

Melodically it reminds me a bit of a few Xenogears tracks in a few spots. Always a good thing. :-)

Overall very mysterious and meticulously crafted. Fantastic work.

• 3 weeks later...

More Mazedude goodness. The track isn't as, well, "disturbing" as some other of his works, so it's easier to get into this one. The kinda egyptian sounding intro is a nice change, and the synths are great. Despite being only barely over three minutes, this remix packs more ideas than most other artists manage to get into a remix twice as long. In other words, Mazedude.

Great stuff.

• 1 year later...

The atmosphere's chilly enough to make it sound like the spirits of the frozen tundra are calling out to me. New pitch-bending leads enter over time, carrying slightly fiercer emotions: 0:30+ hums to itself, 1:23+ is shaky, and 2:20+ begs effusively. I'm quite fond of their moods, but I also welcome the coughing synth in the intro (edgy at 0:26) and the pensive bass guiding the outro, both of which feel like they're in control of themselves.

Sure hides a lot of personality like the Grim Fandango characters.

• 2 months later...

I know I remember seeing or playing this game, but I can't remember for the life of me I'm afraid...

My memory problems aside, this is a very atmospheric mix, and the pitch-bended synths really stand out in the piece. The whole environment that was created was very lush and chilled. Despite the fact that this is short, this is still great and distinctly Mazedude.

• 7 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01690 - Grim Fandango "The Enlightened Alaskan"