new big-budget true-to-book adaptation of DUNE to come to big screens!

prophetik music

http://sffmedia.com/content/view/179/1/

just off the firehose...

lthough there were doubts about whether Paramount would obtain the rights to Frank Herbert's science fiction classic Dune, it does look as if a big budget movie with Peter Berg directing is going ahead after all. This will be the second big screen adaptation of arguably the greatest SF novel of all time, a formidable tale set on the desert planet Arrakis, where water is precious, giant worms roam freely, and Great Houses fight for access to a life extending substance called spice.

Most promising of all is that the producers are apparently looking for writers to create a faithful adaptation of Dune. In David Lynch's 1984 adaptation there were numerous differences with the novel; some would probably go as far as to say that the plot was mangled. While I thought there was a great deal to like about Lynch's version, it would be great to see a big budget, big screen version that was faithful to the text.

sounds awesome! dune is one of my favorite SF books ever, so i can't wait for this.

Starship Troopers.

I never read the book, or played the game, but i think Paul Verhoeven could've done it.

He did:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Troopers_(film)

Quote from wikipedia:

According to the DVD commentary, Paul Verhoeven never finished reading the novel, claiming he read through the first few chapters and became both "bored and depressed"

Best director ever :smile:

I know I'm in the extreme minority, but I prefer David Lynch's original film to the Sci-Fi miniseries, which had horrendous acting and (call me crazy, but it really bothered me) amazingly bad lighting.

Lynch's film has all manner of faults, sure, but it's also really unique in its use of multiple first-person narration, esp. in a sci-fi context. Plus... it had Sting:

I WILL KILL HIM!!!!111!!

Dune without Sting shouting and Captain Picard running around carrying a pug just isn't the same for me...

I've never actually seen the mini series, and when I saw the movie I got bored with it and did something else. I read the book much later (like 6 years later) and loved it, and also thought it was strange that what I saw/remember of the movie seemed to not really have anything to do with the book.

To clarify about my comment on Sci-Fi's miniseries: watch some of the scenes where it's pretty obvious that they're using a blue screen or green screen, and pay attention to light sources:

No matter where they are - on a balcony overlooking a city, in the middle of the desert at high noon, etc. - there's always a really strong, white light coming from directly behind them. It's almost like the lighting in Super Mario Galaxy, only where it works for Nintendo (and makes sense to a certain extent, since Mario's floating around in outerspace, surrounded by stars), for Sci-Fi it seems more like someone forget to study directional lighting in film class or what not. It makes me very angry.

As a side note, I DID like the soundtrack to Children of Dune... especially "Inama Mushif"

How fortuitous. I just read Dune a few months ago and really liked it, although I couldn't get into any of the other ones and opted to stop before they began to suck. I'd love to see a truly good adaptation of this story.

The ones in the middle are a little blah (think of them as build up to God Emporer of Dune and what comes after itreally), the last two or three are pretty good. (The last two he wrote, not the last two his son+a friend wrote from his notes, I haven't read those two yet, but I heard his son doesn't really have the gift or nuance for writing his father did).

Hmm... I'm actually reading the Dune series right now. I've seen Lynch's version, but I actually rather like the way the book does it. Granted, Frank Herbert is not going to go into history for his use of language, but the content is pretty cool. I'm currently on book five. I think part of the problem is that narrative thought bubbles - for lack of better words - don't translate well to screen. That was one of the main things I didn't like about Lynch's film - not that it wasn't a novel idea to use it...

I know I'm in the extreme minority, but I prefer David Lynch's original film to the Sci-Fi miniseries, which had horrendous acting and (call me crazy, but it really bothered me) amazingly bad lighting.

Lynch's film has all manner of faults, sure, but it's also really unique in its use of multiple first-person narration, esp. in a sci-fi context. Plus... it had Sting:

I WILL KILL HIM!!!!111!!

Dune without Sting shouting and Captain Picard running around carrying a pug just isn't the same for me...

DAVVVVVVVVVID LYYYYYYYYYYYYYNCH ROCKSSSSSSSSSSSSS

plus Kyle Maclachlan

And yeah, the sci-fi series being truer? Well at least Lynch's Dune didn't look corny as hell (for its time) and the sci-fi series circa what... 2000? didn't have any excuse, it just looked... cheap and... bad... and just... ugh...

don't kill me guys...

Anyway 3rd time's a charm?