New VGDJ Released (and YES ITS VGDJ) - pg 1 link

Brushfire

Doing voicework for Spleen got me thinking about stuff. Then at about 2200 last night it hit me. VGDJ needs to come back. I thought what better way to bring it back than a video podcast in Japan. I just need to know (probably from Zircon or Pixietricks) how they set thiers up (through iTunes and stuff). I figured this would be a better way to spend my freetime (instead of writting review for games that I hate).

What does the general OCR public think? Is this an idea with merit, or is this idea gonna fail harder than a pigeon flying through a closed window?

zircon and pixie don't want the podcast to continue without them. If there's another podcast for OCR, it'll have to be called something else.

zircon and pixie don't want the podcast to continue without them. If there's another podcast for OCR, it'll have to be called something else.

I still don't think they have a right to make such a decision.

However, you'd probably have to ask djp if he's okay with this (he's probably not). Being the official OCR podcast, VGDJ has a pretty specific format associated with it, and changing it to a video podcast of some random white guy in Japan is not something to be done lightly. So even if you do get the green light, in this case, yes, you would most likely be asked to change the name to something else, as at that point the show would probably bear little to no resemblance to the original concept or execution of VGDJ.

That said, nobody will stop you from producing your own independent, unofficial OCR-related podcast. In fact, I'll definitely watch it if you do. :) Be sure to release on YouTube as well...it will provide you additional exposure, and I don't know about other people, but personally having a downloadable version would provide no benefit to me, since I don't have a portable video player. In fact, I'd have to question the decision to use video as the format in the first place...unless you just have a hilarious personality or something, I don't see it adding a whole lot of value to a show based mostly on talking and music, and the whole appeal of podcasts is that you can do other stuff while listening like driving or washing your dishes.

Anyway, if you need help setting up a podcast and/or tips about podcasting in general, Rayza and Aurora would probably be able to help you out as well.

As for info on setting up a podcast, Rayza and Aurora would probably be able to give you some tips on that as well.

They had a pretty awesome one in the past but I can't remember what it was called :<

because aurora and rayza gave them exclusive rights to the show after they left it right?

Sorry, but seriously, that is just dumb.

No, Aurora said this:

I don't find this acceptable at all. I understand the ownership you feel over the podcast now, the efforts and hard work you've put into the show, but the point of VGDJ was to evolve, just as the community does, and the hard work would lay to waste if it were to die now. It was not meant to create stars, it was not meant to be owned. It was meant as a community service, and as a promotion of the video game music appreciation movement.

Though it was my own and Rayza's idea to start something of this nature, it was always in our plan for the show to be passed on, and not have ownership. It was definitely hard to let the show go, but that was not the point... it was never about me, or Rayza. It was about the community. Hence us delegating tasks to people within the community, and hence the current hosts that VGDJ now has.

If Pixie doesn't feel that anyone else is good enough to host the show with her other than Zircon, then those who are willing and able to pick up where Zircon and Pixie left off, should, just as Rayza and I passed on the show when we could no longer take it on. I honestly believe that it is not in Zircon's or Pixie's place to decide what the future (or lack thereof) of VGDJ will be. I understand that you (pixie and zircon) are upset about not being able to carry on with it, but that shouldn't stop anyone else from doing so.

Please do not take this as an attack. We (all vgdj enthusiasts) are grateful for your service and how you've brought VGDJ to a whole new level since you've taken over. You've created a show people look forward to downloading, you've helped bring a community together. There is no reason why this ideal should die now. Take your accomplishments and let others be of service to OCR and to the VGDJ listeners.

I hope you seriously consider this recommendation.

barring the rather ludicrous idea that somebody has ownership *rights* to VGDJ, are you aware of the rather alarming amount of work that goes into making a single episode?

Sometimes me and pixie stayed up until bullshit o'clock to make a single episode, and that was with the wherewithall of *two* people.

Just... think carefully about the scope of what you're asking. It might need to be retooled for a single-man outing.

I am glad to see another former host of VGDJ stand up and say that it is ridiculous to give ownership to just those two.

If he wishes to host the show, then let him. In the end, it is up to DJP and his stamp of approval for it to see light, so why not let him give it a shot and see how it goes? I would rather boost him than shoot him down before even hearing what he has to show.

Definitely get one (or two) other people who are interested in radio (maybe even communication electronic media majors) to help you out. I can't speak for zicontricks, but I'm sure that everyone would want the same amount of quality put in each episode that has been in the past. I also agree that VGDJ belongs to the community and should be managed by the community.

I am curious as to why you are taking offense to his suggestion. He provided an alternative in a joking way for people to listen to while vgdj is down.

Sup with the hate?

My comment wasn't toward the thread writer. It was toward Skryp, but I'm retracting it, instead of being a complete asshat.

Um, I was under the impression that the general consensus was for you to try it out and see how it goes...

Agreed, I'm going to do a podcast of my own, but it'll be all-inclusive. Primarily about the community, but also doing some reporting on upcoming games, events, meet-ups, etc... I say go for it, message DJP, zircon and pixietricks, and get some feed back. If you want to find out more about what it's like to make a podcast, I suggest looking up Rayza at the very least, and asking him about it.

And yes, if you feature remixes from OCR, definitely read up on the content policy.