Quake Live

EdgeCrusher

It took a damn act of congress to get my invite from presh :( So if I can get any Ill be sure to share them on here.

Kinda depressing to hear that...

Always enjoyed the Quake games, hell I've even played around with the Quake 4 deathmatch games (still do, sorely underrated :sad:) ET:QR is really not bad if you can get over the funky physics of it as well as the semi-odd control layout.

(Who ever really joins a "fireteam"..?)

I'm pretty much into anything Quake/QII...

IN ET:QW I usually go by the name on that I use on the forums or Gentz Weizer... Same whenever I fire up Q4 Deathmatch...

For anyone wondering... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_Zero

What's the requirements to get in? Some sort of sign up or random draw?

They had sign ups on the site, and are still doing sign ups. But its luck of the draw on it I think. I signed up myself monthes back, and never got anything. Luckily presh had an invite he sent me for it. I think they give out the invites in batches though, so it might be a while.

Yeah, but in-game advertising... I hate getting ads on TV and websites, and those are (essentially) paid-for already.

Man, I wish someone in a position of industry power had crushed that idea when it came up. I don't mind paying for a game, I don't mind paying for multiplayer support, I don't have any problem with MMO server fees, but in-game advertising seems... extra invasive to me.

Hopefully, someone will figure out a way to filter them out after it's released. I'd send the developers a check for their time and get it over with, instead.

A couple of years ago I had a little Quake 3 LAN party with my buddies. Some of us had Macs, some PCs and some even had, *gulp*, Linux. It took us two hours just to get everyone's copy installed, patched and configured so we could all play together.

Quake Live can have as many in-game advertisements as id wants. If it is not only free but requires almost zero set up time, then I can't even describe how great that is. To be able to just say "Hey everyone, bring your computer and we'll play Quake 3!" and have everyone just jump in with console-like ease is a boon. It's a great use of our modern technology and the fact that it is free just makes it perfect.

Hopefully, someone will figure out a way to filter them out after it's released. I'd send the developers a check for their time and get it over with, instead.

the big problem with this is that if they filter out the ads, they can't keep it going. that's the whole point - to make some money.

i wouldn't mind being able to 'register' or something to get NO ads by paying a set fee, though. similar to registering on most sites to remove banner ads.

the big problem with this is that if they filter out the ads, they can't keep it going. that's the whole point - to make some money.

i wouldn't mind being able to 'register' or something to get NO ads by paying a set fee, though. similar to registering on most sites to remove banner ads.

Exactly. I would actually send them a check for it. I really would.

Mind you, I don't know why they aren't going with the traditional model of just buying the game. A one time purchase to forgo ads worked the last thirty years, why stop now?

Not that we're supposed to say anything because of the NDA and so on, but the way the ads work really does not seem in the slightest intrusive to me so far.

Regardless, if you're paying attention to billboards, you're Quakeing it wrong.

Been in for a while, absolutely love it (unlike regular Q3, my average 60 ms latency does not ruin my aim) and just played our first cup clanwar which we won. Yay! Such a fun teamgame.

now theres a dude that just completely disappeared from radar

he still bothers us over at remod

except he renamed himself "super happy cow" after playing some quake mod that turns everyone into cows

and bitches at everyone for playing TF2 "which is such a terrible game, cause you can't do everything by yourself, come on guys, geez, play quake wars with me instead"

TF2 and Quake Wars are both very different... I like them both but they are very different experiences...

Plus sadly it's somewhat difficult to find a good Quake Wars server on the East Coast in the US side where as elsewhere it pretty big and abundant. TF2 almost the same, as I can't find a decent server close to home but its lag is much nicer to me than the Quake Wars servers are...

Side note: How good is the OCR TF2 server anyways..? I'd imagine its often pack..?

Underrated game IMO.

Sadly I rarely speak on the Quake Wars or TF2 because they say my voice sounds like a booming voice of a russian... I suppose it's something to hear to believe because I sure as hell can't hear that...

In any rate, Quake Wars is truly underrated sadly :(. Not saying its better than TF2 (far too different in feeling) but its definatly worth playing with...