"Hear the Cries of Our Planet" Square Enix Vocal Fundraiser Album

MeleeGurl

@Hemo: That is great! Extra languages are always a bonus. You said that you are able to sing in german. I would like you to do the german portion of the album's namesake song. As I mentioned before I want to try and get as many languages as possible in the song and since you're the first to offer german then I'd really like it if you could take the part. Also, do you have some samples Hemo? I'd like to hear your voice.

I do understand about Square-Enix needed to be contacted for the license and I will most certainly be doing that.

@Prophet: Yeah, I was listening to Abadoss' music on his website and I'm really impressed. I will be getting him to do at least one thing for the album...for sure!

That's great, if we need the pronounciation guides I will let you know. It'll be a gerat help for sure if the need arises.

@Dragon: I'll keep that in mind DA. Don't worry, I won't get you to do any lyric writing outside of english, it was more for the vocals that I was concerned. The fact that you can do latin in chours is helpful though. It'll probably come in handy for the One Winged Angel/Dancing Mad Remix. I'd like to get a fairly large group of vocalists together for that song.

@Hale: Great! Thanks so much. Did you want to try it out with the original for now and then see how comfortable you are with it and then we can see if you want to apply that to a remix. Are you framilliar with the song Redemption? I will get the lyrics to a translator asap. I know I could get them on a site but I want to make sure that everything is 100% legit, so I'll get a translator to do that. Once I get the english lyrics then I will message them to you.

@Relyan: Sure thing, I would love to see what's on your mind for the art! You seem like a man with a plan to me, who am I to stop you? Hehe.

I don't mind heavy symbolism at all, as long as it's not offensive. Try to keep everything E Rated, I want to make it an album that pretty much anyone can buy.

@Audio: Well, I am going to be talking with Mustin about the license topic. I want to make sure 100% that it's going to be alright and if Square-Enix will allow the album to be sold without royalties that would be ideal. That way 100% of the profit can go to CFFC.

@Neko: Well, there is the one song from VI on the list as of now. However there are only 4 confirmed songs as of right now. The list can go whichever way at this point, if there is a remixer that approaches me with the want to do something between I and VI I will take it into consideration. The list that I have currently below the confirmed tracks is a suggestion list and I was trying to take as many vocal tracks as I could to add to it.

@Random: Awesome! Thank you, I'll put you down for lyrics. Can you send me a message with some examples of your current lyric writing? Even though I can see all of those great awards under your sig, I'd like to get an idea of your style. Also, since you're offering to do the narrorator for Red as Rose, White as Snow can you send me a voice sample of how you would be doing the narroration?

@Hale: Great! Thanks so much. Did you want to try it out with the original for now and then see how comfortable you are with it and then we can see if you want to apply that to a remix. Are you framilliar with the song Redemption? I will get the lyrics to a translator asap. I know I could get them on a site but I want to make sure that everything is 100% legit, so I'll get a translator to do that. Once I get the english lyrics then I will message them to you.

Sounds good. Getting those lyrics translated asap would definitely help a lot, as it will help prevent me from making up my own stuff before I even know what it is I'm singing about, if that makes sense. I'm not too familiar with the song, but I did a youtube search last night. Is this the right track? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=610aHM-lJc0

I also found the instrumental track, so that gives me something to practice with on my own.

I felt fairly comfortable with the vocal range, but the real audition comes when I go to record my voice for the first time, then listen back to see what I think. I'm very picky about my own vocals, so if I like how I sound, then I'll show you what I got so you can chime in with your opinion. If I don't feel like I fit, then I'll let you know right away.

@Hale: Yup, that's the song! You found the instrumental version? That's perfect! I will be contacting a suggestion japanese translation tonight and once I find out that they want to be on the project this song will be the first thing I will send them. Then we can get you comfortable with the english lyrics!

@Hemo: Okay then, that's alright. When the time comes, I'll set you up wit the Italian vocals. I did ask in my last post but I just want to make sure if you noticed. Do you have some samples of your singing that I could hear? Just to get a feel for your vocals.

Oh, big oops I forgot.

You can not add lyrics to works if you plan on licensing them and selling them. You would have to have direct permission of the publishers, and I'm telling you now that you won't get that permission. Sorry!

Proceed how you see fit.

but she's not licensing them, i thought. isn't it different if there's no profit involved?

never thought i'd say this, but where's a lawyer when you need one?

edit - something you CAN do is ask for donations to said charity on the behalf of the album, though. then you don't have to do any of that licensing crap.

So... it would be released through OCR for free with the strong encouragement to donate? Sounds like a good idea, but does this project fit the mold of an OCR album? They usually focus on one certain game, right?

I got a crapload of crap thrown on me from school this week, so I'm gonna have to take a lil longer on the artwork.

The album is not being released through OCR, it's a personal project. I don't see OCR being affiliated with an album that raises profit of any sort, especially when there's a potential issue with licencing.

The cause seems noble, and that's fine, but even if something is for charity, Mustin is absolutely correct in that even though the proceeds would qualify as not-for-profit, you still need permission.

It's the exact same if someone took a song that any of you wrote without your permission, slapped it on an album and sold it. Even if it's for charity, permission needs to be obtained.

As far as I can tell, Brad's probably closest to the "loophole" in that if the album were given away for free as fan art(like OCR's content) but downloaders were encouraged to donate to a charity, I suppose that's not really an issue (though technically, even what OCR does is "iffy" in that legal regard).

I would not say I'm *highly* educated in licencing, Mustin knows much more than I do, but it's fairly easy to understand with just a little bit of analysis, and a smidge of insight. Try to stop thinking of music as music, and start thinking of it as a physical product and it all makes more sense.

theoretically, if she wanted to, couldn't she release this as a site project? there's no set rule that says that it MUST be a single-game album - a common theme is theoretically enough, isn't it? after all, dirge for the follin is a similar concept - songs written by tim follin - (and didn't someone do a valentine's day project?) so why can't the topic be within what meleegurl set?

theoretically, if she wanted to, couldn't she release this as a site project? there's no set rule that says that it MUST be a single-game album - a common theme is theoretically enough, isn't it? after all, dirge for the follin is a similar concept - songs written by tim follin - (and didn't someone do a valentine's day project?) so why can't the topic be within what meleegurl set?

You're missing the issue entirely. The problem has nothing to do with the album spanning several games. Heck, there could potentially be an album that garnerd Mario Brothers to Halo to Chex Quest as long as I suppose it had some sort of targeted theme. The problem is that OCR's albums are pretty well subject to the same policies (see content policy and album project guidelines) as all the other OCR music, specifically the bit about no profit being made.

At any rate, let me mention Dave is the HBIC when it comes to final say so, so bear that in mind. I'm not speaking for him officially, but I'd wager his response will not be all that different.

@Mustin: Thanks for your concern Mustin, I have someone looking into all of that right now and I am pretty sure that it's going to work out alright.

@Prophet: Don't worry Prophet, it'll work out okay.

@Relyan: That's okay Relyan, I understand. Do you have an idea of when you'd be able to have it ready to see?

@big giant circles: I realize that the album cannot be released through OverClocked ReMix. I also do understand the legalities of the album's release and as I said to Mustin I do have someone looking into everything involving licensing and permission.

Thanks for your concern too bgc, it's really appreciated.

• 3 years later...

I'm assuming this album entered album limbo, where without much of a leader and no further progress it's almost certainly dead.

I seriously thought this had some relation with Mega Ran's Black Materia Album. One of the tracks was titled Cry of the Planet. He wrote a fundraiser version for Japan when they had that earthquake.

I'm assuming this album entered album limbo, where without much of a leader and no further progress it's almost certainly dead.

I seriously thought this had some relation with Mega Ran's Black Materia Album. One of the tracks was titled Cry of the Planet. He wrote a fundraiser version for Japan when they had that earthquake.

The reason for that is because the source track to that song is "You Can Hear The Cry Of The Planet," which is exactly what this album's name was referencing.