Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

I-n-j-i-n

Just played the demo a bit and I'm seriously considering it to be one of the best new games of the year personally.

A Rare game that surpasses expectations? YES.

It's also very inventive and just a lot of fun. The customizing of vehicles don't feel tacked on or totally arbitrary either. Kotaku said this game actually drew crowd presence in the Tokyo Game Show and now I can understand why.

I just wish the demo wasn't monster-sized..

I played the demo for about 3 hours straight last night. A demo. Demos aren't supposed to be that engaging as far as I can remember.

So today, I'm sitting here at work and I can't wait to get home and play some more.

It's a fun game, for sure, though I do hope though that the entire game doesn't completely rely on vehicle based missions to keep things interesting. I really want more exploration and classic platforming, but I'm not holding my breath for that. It seems like Rare is pushing the vehicle aspect of the game pretty hard.

+ Pretty game! Graphics are top notch.

+ Controls are pretty tight. Vehicles are hard to handle at first, but like GTA4, you have to give it some time until you adjust to it.

+ Of what I could read, the dialogue was hilarious. Classic Rare humor.

+ OMG, the music is fantastic. Big ups to Grant Kirkhope and crew for doing a phenomenal job with the audio. A wave of nostalgia washed over me as I played through Banjo Land.

+ Vehicle creation is very simple, easy and straight forward. The interface is quite intuitive.

- I couldn't read the text. My eyes were hurting and my head was aching. Even as I put my face up to my tv screen, I still couldn't make out entire sentences. I hope there's an option for people with SDTV's to get larger text. I'm in trouble otherwise.

- The vehicle based missions were enjoyable, but a little generic too. I'm waiting to see how the entire game plays out this way, if in fact all missions require a vehicle. My fingers are crossed.

I have to agree with the fonts. What's with Rare and fonts? Almost all their games after Goldeneye and DKC games had horrendous, unreadable fonts. Orange text behind orange background was hideous in Viva Pinata too. Totally unreadable at times.

Also, the tutorial was a bit much early on. Could've had a more natural pace, but Rare games tends to plop people into a complex game almost all the time.

I'm surprised that this game is getting almost universal praise from those not totally turned off by the fonts and the sorta-steep learning curve.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm personally very wary of this. After so many games that disappointed me, and considering Rare's recent track record...I just don't know if I can do it. But...there is a lot of positivity on this thread so far, so I might just try that demo out. I loved everything about "Banjo-Kazooie", I'll have to give it the benefit of the doubt. But I swear, if it's another "Perfect Dark Zero", I am going to cry.:puppyeyes:

This game is rad. Nutty Acres is incredibly awesome to see for the very first time. The music is great. The characters are great. The missions themselves are fun, if a bit repetitive, but otherwise a really fun game. Klungo's Arcade is a nice departure from the other stuff and there's lots of secrets to be found so far and I'm barely through the game. I'm totally addicted to vehicle creation and just exploring the different worlds with my own creations. Fun!

Why? My big screen normal television works just fine. I'm not changing arbitrarily to a new one until the old one gets broken; I don't have that kind of money, and plus I just don't think HD is worth the upgrade.

Quiet, you! No arguing! :-P

Yeah well my TV back home is a TV from like '95.

I'd be fine with just upgrading to a 480p set for component as the picture is still pretty, but I'd might as well upgrade to HD.

Hi guys... I'd like to know more about this banjo...

Like many people, I loved Banjo-Kazzoie & Tooie (even if I prefer the first one, more replay value imo).

But they were plateform games ! We had to run, jump, avoid enemies, etc... etc...

And all I believe to see in the new game is "races".

Races with vehicle (on land, water and in air).

Do we have only to challenge racers to get the puzzle pieces ?

Of course we can upgrade/change vehicle parts but... Is all the game like that ?

Can't we explore ? Is there any puzzles we have to find exploring this new world ? Or races are all the stuff...

I'd like to understand what remains of... Banjo !