Nobuo Uematsu, YOU THIEF! I KEEL YOU!

Nekofrog

RE MojoHamster: I want you... to want Ken!

RE Overcoat: don't click here. It's just too funny. (for the record i love our judges they are the greatest please don't ban me)

RE: Uematsu-haters: Celes --> Aeris, Compression Of Time --> Freya's Theme. But hey, who can fault the guy for stealing from himself? I do it all the time... sweet I just found forty bucks in a wallet!

And RE everyone with musical knowledge: I like to think the case is that I simply can't sing and not that I'm tone deaf, but I could be wrong... if the Pachelbel ranter isn't right I'm sorry for my ignorance. But I do not apologize for any derailing of this thread I may have caused because I've enjoyed every second of these videos!

I would like to apologize for the idiocy of my last post; it was done under the influence of stupidity. I read it now and I feel like I owe the world a walk of shame for it. Well, aside from the Cheap Trick joke; I'm still proud of that.

I was enjoying the comparisons, they should continue! Enthusiastic bump!

Here's mine, and I can't believe I didn't remember this until now.

Exhibit A: Top Gear

Exhibit B: Muse - Bliss

I'd say definitely inspired by, and not just with the arpeggios. Oh wait, I'm doing this backwards...

I think it's pretty likely that Mitsuda heard the song, forgot about it, and unconsciously mimicked it. Of course he would say he'd never heard it no matter what. Unless he were to claim it as an intentional homage, but really now.

Oh come on! They are not identical. The three cords that largely match are not unusual at all. S-D-Ts is among the most used chords in music, and Mitsuda use them in a lot of his other tunes(Main theme of BOTH Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, Another World ~ Guldove, Song of Feeling etc.)

He also uses a lot of sus4 that usually gets resolved in major chords.

Between that and the Jet theme in Guile's stage, I think that was one of the first ones I knew for sure. And the Sonic 3 ones, which I'm surprised people found out so late. Then again, I played Michael Jackson Moonwalker and Sonic 3 back to back.

And I watched Top Gun right around playing SF2... Very easy to pick up after that.

As for the Aeris theme having the motif, the music rises for the most part and falls down a bit. Same FF7 music motif.

3) It's easy to find recurring parts in songs by Uematsu (which I've probably heard the most of in that realm of music), even parts that can be copied and pasted into later songs (the first that comes to mind is taking the bassline from Seymour's battle music (FF X), using it with the lead chorus of The man with the machine-gun (FF VIII)).

Not a coincidence. The intro to Seymour's battle theme also sounds very similar to another track from FF8.

• 4 months later...
The tonality is pretty different. However, the Elfman theme actually quite a ripoff of a Schubert symphony written hundreds of years ago. Here's proof - I made this comparison to a part of the Credits theme from Advent Children (which is just the FF7 main theme in a minor tonality anyway), but it applies here:

http://zirconstudios.com/music/random/schubff7.mp3

This is more damning imo ;)

I hear it in the first 10 notes.

The similarity is there but what if, as a previous poster mentioned, it's just coincidence ("with only 12 tones, some music is going to end up sounding alike")

or what if Mr. Uematsu used that particular chord progression to base this music.

Maybe he grew up a fan of Schubert's work and wanted to incorporate some of that into his own work.

Who knows?

I hear it in the first 10 notes.

The similarity is there but what if, as a previous poster mentioned, it's just coincidence ("with only 12 tones, some music is going to end up sounding alike")

or what if Mr. Uematsu used that particular chord progression to base this music.

Maybe he grew up a fan of Schubert's work and wanted to incorporate some of that into his own work.

Who knows?

Yeah, I mean I wouldn't call the people who did that credits arrangement plagiarizers. I don't think it was Uematsu, anyway. But still, it's not just the chord progression. It's the melody, instrumentation, tempo, and key. They're all the same :P

Sorry for the bump but this is too cool not to post, but I don't think it's enough for its own thread.

Shostakovich Symph 5, movt 4

Mother 3, Porky's Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5CjB16gM94&feature=related

Obviously on purpose, which makes it awesome.

Hell yes. I love shostakovich and mother and one of the first things that popped into my head when I heard Porky's theme was "huh. this sounds kinda like shosty five"

Damnit, dPaladin, why did you bump this thread? You just allowed Nekofrog to ruin the FF7 song for yet another listener... namely me. I will agree that they both sound like Schubert's symphony, though.

Now, who would win if they fought - Batman, Sephiroth or Schubert? That would be a simple way to settle who's song it really is.