REASON - Please Direct Reason questions here

Devvyn

Quick question, I'm using Reason 2.5 & I finally got a keyboard hooked up into my computer, via a USB cable. Now how do I get it so I can use the keyboard in Reason?

When I got a USB MIDI controller (PCR-80), I had no problems with getting it to work. I have Reason 3.0 and they changed the MIDI engine, but you should be able to select your device from the Preferences->MIDI section. I used to have Reason 2.5 on Windows (I also had the Mac version) and on both 2.5 and 3.0, Mac and Windows, worked without a hitch.

Is your controller recognized by your OS? Also, make sure that the track you want to play is selected using the little keyboard icon.

• 2 weeks later...

On the samplers, i can select wether i want it mono or polyphonic. After the sampler, a chain will follow, obviously, usually with reverb. If i choose to have my sampler monophonic, and press another note over a held one, the old sample cuts out, hurray. However its remnants remain in the reverb.

Is there anyway to set it up, so that when i press a new note on the sampler, the reverb unit clears itself? Would i CV the sampler to the noise gate on the rv7000? At the moment, i'm exporting alot of loops to get the effect i'm after...

Hmmm. yea that's a toughie. I don't think you can "clear" a reverb.

I'm not great at programming samplers, but you could build a sample patch in the samper that does this I think. Export one note with the reverb on it, then bring that wav back in in the sampler. Set up the loop and release points and whatnot, and that might do the trick.

Is there anyway to set it up, so that when i press a new note on the sampler, the reverb unit clears itself?

whaaaaaaa.... what effect are you after? Are you after the effect in trance music with pumping lead synths and how they sound like they don't have reverb on them until the note is let go? That's an eeezeee effect. eeeeheheheeezeeeheheheheeeee

EEEZEEHEHEHEHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

it's easy. is this what you are after? :)

Thanks for the help guys. I was going for a hiphop stop/start sound, exporting and re-importing samples seems to be the only way to get the desired sound (though the automation of the Enabled switch got it very close)

EDIT

You could always wire the dry and the wet signals into different mixer channels, invert the CV from one of the synth's envelopes, and wire it to the volume CV of the wet signal.

That was an awesome idea, not the effect i was going for but gave me some ideas :P

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lots of rewire hosts can do that :). Is there a reason you would record it live rather than just bouncing? Maybe in Live when you are performing because you can catch audio and then manipulate it Live during a performance, but otherwise, bouncing is the same thing and it is faster than real time. Probably takes a bit less set up also.

How do i change the tempo mid-song. I need to be able to speed it up closer towards the end. I know that there is an option in the Edit menu that says "Change Events" and that lets you "Scale" the tempo up or down. It works fine for the musical notes and devices, but it messes up the drum track because it scales it down.

What I need is to be able to change the tempo. How can I do this? If it is not possible in Reason (which I would be very surprised if it can't be done), are there other options that I can try?

Correction then: ReWiring doesn't work when using FL Studio as a host.

It does work. I've seen it work with FL 5 and Reason 2.5. Make sure you have everything set up correctly, then just change the tempo in fruity using the event editor.

The problem is that Reason does some strange things when you change the tempo mid-song, particularly with the delay unit. So as Mr. Zenith said, be careful.

I have personally found a foolproof way of changing tempo in the middle of a song in reason. Well this works for me anyways.

I open Acid (5) and rewire it to reason. I use tempo change markers in acid to change the tempo in reason mid song, and it works flawlessly for me.

You might wanna try that.