Batman: Battle for the Cowl

DarkeSword

Batman: Battle for the Cowl

As most of you who frequent #ocremix know, I read a lot of comic books, mostly of the DC superhero variety. I wanted to make this thread to discuss a big event that'll be going on for the next three months or so in the Batman-corner of the DC Universe.

What is it?

Batman: Battle for the Cowl is a three-month-long event that DC is publishing that comes out of the events of the recent Batman RIP and Final Crisis storylines. The main series is being written and drawn by Tony Daniel, who's been the artist on Batman for the past year or so.

What's it about?

Bruce Wayne, better known as Batman, has been "killed" by Darkseid and is no longer with us in the present day (the actual truth is a little more complicated; readers know that Bruce is alive and simply presumed dead, but let's leave that aside for now).

As a result of Batman's "death," Gotham City has been thrown into chaos. The city's criminals are trying to take advantage of the Dark Knight's demise to make powerplays and seize control of the Gotham Underground, and Batman's family of heroes, led by Dick Grayson, aka Nightwing, are doing everything they can to keep the city under relative control.

What everyone will soon realize is that Gotham City may not survive without a Batman, and this will be a major point of contention between Batman's three "sons:" Dick Grayson--the first Robin, currently Nightwing--believes that no-one can or should take up the Cape and Cowl and that the heroes of Gotham should do what they can as themselves; Jason Todd, the gun-toting hot-headed back-from-the-dead second Robin, believes that he has the absolute right to take up the mantle and become a newer, more vengeful Batman; and Tim Drake, the third and current Robin, believes that Batman isn't dead, and is going to use all of his skills as a detective to find out what really happened to Bruce.

There are a lot of other major players in the story, inlcuding Catwoman, Hush, Batgirl, Huntress, Oracle; the list goes on and on. Needless to say, a whole lot of hell is breaking loose in Gotham City.

What should I read?

In addition to the main Battle for the Cowl series, there are two companion mini-series and a slew of one-shots hitting every week that'll fill in what's going on with different people in Gotham City.

Here's the schedule, taken from DC's Battle for the Cowl checklist:

MARCH

Gotham Gazette: Batman Dead?

Battle for the Cowl #1 (of 3)

Azrael #1

Oracle: The Cure #1

Battle for the Cowl: Commissioner Gordon

APRIL

Battle for the Cowl: Man-Bat

Battle for the Cowl #2 (of 3)

Azrael #2

Oracle: The Cure #2

Battle for the Cowl: Arkham Asylum

Battle for the Cowl: The Underground

MAY

Battle for the Cowl: The Network

Azrael #3

Oracle: The Cure #3

Battle for the Cowl #3 (of 3)

Gotham Gazette: Batman Alive?

Generally speaking, with events like these, you can get away with just reading the main series, but that sort of takes all the fun out of it. ;) I'll be grabbing every issue each week.

What this thread is for:

This thread is for talking about Battle for the Cowl and its related mini-series. By extension we can also discuss other Bat-stuff going on right now in the comics, like Neil Gaiman's Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? storyline that's had it's first part published in the latest issue of Batman. We can also talk about what's coming after Battle in the comics, as DC's revamping their Bat-line with eight--yes, eight--ongoing titles. I'll post that list if it comes up during discussion.

What this thread isn't for:

I really want to keep this thread focused on the comics. That means no discussion about Batman: The Animated Series, The Batman, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, the Batman movies, other non-Batman comic book related stuff (DC's other big stuff like Green Lantern and all the Superman stuff going on, Watchmen, Marvel Comics stuff, etc.). As much as I love all that stuff and could talk at length about all of it, I want to stick to BftC here, so stay on track!

But DarkeSword, comics are too difficult to get into! I wouldn't even know where to start! I'd get confused! There's too much history!

To that I say, "Bollocks!" In today's digital age, it's easier than ever to jump into comic books, because you can easily look up something you don't understand on Wikipedia or fansites. Give it a shot! Be a nerd with me!

Do you have more information, like pictures or previews?

IGN Comics has a great mini-site up for keeping track of everything going on with this event. They've got five-page previews of some issues already, so hit them up.

____

Where are we so far?

This list will be updated as new issues come out.

Gotham Gazette: Batman Dead? - 3/4/09, released!

Battle for the Cowl #1 - 3/11/09, released!

Azrael: Death's Dark Knight - 3/19/09, released!

Battle for the Cowl: Commissioner Gordon - 3/25/09, released!

Oracle: The Cure - 3/25/09, released!

____

Join us at ComicShop on IRC to discuss weekly comics!

I think that's all you need to know for now! Please join me in reading what promises to be a really great event. Thanks!

But DarkeSword, comics are too difficult to get into! I wouldn't even know where to start! I'd get confused! There's too much history!

To that I say, "Bollocks!" In today's digital age, it's easier than ever to jump into comic books, because you can easily look up something you don't understand on Wikipedia or fansites. Give it a shot! Be a nerd with me!

No summary will ever be able to do justice to the story itself. I've been watching the animated series a lot recently, so I've been getting more into it, but I wouldn't want to catch up to the present just with summaries. Now tell me how I can digitally read the comics themselves, and I'm on board.

DC doesn't provide a legal digital option for reading their stuff. Sorry.

As for summaries not doing the story justice, that's not the point. The point is that you can get by reading Battle for the Cowl just fine if you have a general idea of the premise, which I already explained.

But if you're really interested in reading it all, go back to the beginning of Grant Morrison's run on Batman, starting with issue #655 and read from there. It'll give you everything you need to know about the Club of Heroes, the Club of Villains, the Black Glove, William Hurt, Damien Wayne, and the Replacement Batmen. Get Paul Dini's 5-part Heart of Hush storyline, starting in Detective Comics #846. Read Final Crisis as well. And to understand Final Crisis you're probably going to have to read some JLA issues that lead into that and all of Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers mini-series. Oh and reading Ininite Crisis can't hurt either, because that sets up Final Crisis, in a way. And in order to understand Infinite Crisis, you should probably read all the mini series that lead into that...

Do you understand what I'm getting at, dude? Yes, reading the original story is the best way to get what you need, but once you read one, you have to keep going back to read more and more to get an even fuller story. Comics are a serial medium; they're always building on what came before. Eventually you just have to say "screw it" and do a quick skim of a couple of wiki articles.

But hey, if you're willing to read all that (and much, much more), more power to you. ;)

I think the series will end with Dick Grayson as Batman and Damien Wayne as Robin. Dick is more Bruce's son than Damien could ever be, and the dynamic between them will be interesting to read, especially because we haven't seen a lot of them together aside from the stuff during Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul, where Dick's inner monologue about Damien was basically just making fun of his costume.

Holy Crap. DS, thank you for posting this. I'd heard that Bats had kicked the can (and of course I knew better) but I'm so out of the DC loop right now I might have missed this! I'll be sure to look into this BftC business and jump into the discussion. A world without Bruce Wayne as Batman? Well...worked well enough in 52, I guess.

Holy Crap. DS, thank you for posting this. I'd heard that Bats had kicked the can (and of course I knew better) but I'm so out of the DC loop right now I might have missed this! I'll be sure to look into this BftC business and jump into the discussion. A world without Bruce Wayne as Batman? Well...worked well enough in 52, I

guess.

The great part about all of this is that DC isn't pushing the idea of this replacement being permanent. It's a very interesting way of telling the story of a hero's death. As far as the characters like Dick, Alfred, and Tim know, Bruce is dead. But we the readers know he's alive--and not in that "comic-book-deaths-are-never-permanent" nudge nudge wink wink kind of way; DC has actually committed the fact that Bruce is alive to the page (specifically the LAST page of Final Crisis). They even said definitively before Batman RIP started that "Batman isn't going to die."

Knowing that Bruce will eventually return may ruin it for some people; "what's the point?" they ask. But I think of it as a blessing. We can enjoy the story of this "succession war" without letting the whole "BRUCE WAYNE IS THE ONLY BATMAN HNNNNGH" idea ruin it.

And linkspast, if you want to read it, hit up your Local Comic Shop and pick it up. If you don't have an LCS, check a local bookstore like Borders or Barnes & Noble; they often have a comicbook rack near the magazine section.

I'm not so sure about Tim becoming Batman. I think that Dick Grayson, especially with the lightness he's been showing in his final issues of Nightwing, really illustrates what kind of Batman he'll be.

Anyway I guess I should post my thoughts on Battle #1:

Overall I thought it was great. Daniel really hit the ground running with the writing and art. I'm glad he made Tim the POV character. I feel like he's always been the most perceptive of the Batboys, able to read people and empathize more. Tim in the yellow-oval suit was a nice callback to the suit Bruce wore when Tim became Robin.

As for Dick, I can see how the pressure of being the head of the family is really getting to him. Poor guy; Bruce is dead and already some yutz is running around as a gun-toting Batman (Bad Jason!). His interactions with Damien was interesting in that he just doesn't put up with Damien's crap. I think the "first sons" are going to make a great team in the future. ;)

Speaking of Damien: using the Bat-mobile to pick up chicks?! How old are you again?!

Art was fantastic. Lots of action, great angles and composition.

Looking forward to the second act. :)

--

I'm going to save my thoughts on Gotham Gazette until #2 comes out at the end of Cowl; I liked it, but I don't feel like there was enough material to warrant any kind of written reaction.

--

In any case, I've set up a chatroom for comics talk! Anyone is welcome to drop by so long as you've got an open mind and don't hate on stuff for stupid reasons. We can talk about DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, pretty much any print comics. Join usssss: irc://irc.slacknet.org/comicshop

So. What can I say about the first issue of Battle for the Cowl that cannot already be said by others. I think it's a work of art, personally. Thinking as long and as hard as they have during the development of this particular event, it's no wonder that the first issue of the series has astounded me. My only suspect hope right now, is that the next two Battle for the Cowl issues are just as awe-inspiring.

I believe they will not disappoint me. Not in the least.

As a matter of fact, I think it only gets better from here, especially given how the issue itself ends. So, I say to all of you, if you haven't bought this issue, do so now, and pick up the rest of the series, I dare you to. I think it's going to prove to be an epic moment in the history of Batman. It certainly is for me.

Coming up tomorrow is the first issue of one of the side-story mini-series, Azrael: Death's Dark Knight. You might remember in the 90s, DC tried this whole Batman-replacement thing before with a fellow by the name of Jean-Paul Valley, aka Azrael. After Bruce Wayne reclaimed the mantle, JPV worked under Batman as Azrael, and had his own ongoing series, at the end of which he died.

However, it seems as though the Order of St. Dumas--or at least, a splinter sect known as the Order of Purity--feels as though there should be a new Azrael, so they steal the Suit of Sorrows from the Batcave (given to Bruce by Talia al Ghul in a recent issue of Detective Comics) and go about finding someone to wear it.

Here are some relevant links!

Solicit @ Comixology

Preview @ IGN Comics

Interview with writer Fabian Nicieza

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...