Composer looking for games will work for free

SHIBbYinc

I don't like this attitude, not in a field like this anyway. If you wanna make a living making VGM, you should be so good that people working for free shouldn't give you any lower chances to get work. Developer's who'll hire a guy that works for free probably didn't have the skills/money to pay you anyway. He's just trying to get experience so that he CAN get paid for work eventually..

While that's a romantic sentiment Anso, the under cutting that goes on in the music industry is ridiculous these days. Advertising agencies are paying only a couple hundred bucks today for music on national TV spots when they used to pay anywhere between $20,000 - $100,000 in the past. The studio I work for has done more demos on spec than demos that pay in the last year, and we created the Budwiser frogs for God's sake. I defy someone to tell me that the game industry is much different.

I'm not one to preach, but this is one issue that I don't easily shy away from. Talent in this town, country, and world means little these days and producers are always on the lookout for the bottom dollar when it comes to music.

Isn't that Metal Gear or, at least, Snake's Revenge?

Is it? lol, I made something up on the fly - I was hoping it wasn't another game.

Wait, is Snake fighting the Vietnamese in Metal Gear? I've never played the series, myself...

Oh well, Abadoss, you see what I'm saying, right? You make up a scenario for him, then - I'd probably end up taking an idea from elsewhere, anyway :<.

In all fairness, that is way, way, way too much for 30-60 seconds of sound.

In all fairness, you clearly have no idea how the ad industry works/has worked if that shocks you to your core ;-).

Keep in mind, that is MAYBE 10% of the total budget they have to spend on the whole production. Just think about the production costs for a VG, even a small one.

In all fairness, you clearly have no idea how the ad industry works/has worked if that shocks you to your core ;-).

In all fairness, please take a step back and literally fuck your own face* as my comment did not warrant a response like that and I do not appreciate it. ;-)

Keep in mind, that is MAYBE 10% of the total budget they have to spend on the whole production. Just think about the production costs for a VG, even a small one.

What does a VG soundtrack have to do with advertising production costs? All I'm saying is, if the average advertiser is thinking "Wait, why am I spending the kind of money I could buy a house with for 30-60 seconds of music that does little more than garnish the advertisement when $300 could buy a simple custom-made tune that does the same job?" then I could totally see that.

Some people charge just charge way too much for what they're actually worth, and sometimes undercutting is just a natural economic reaction/decision and not a screw-job. I want to make money off my creative property too, but I'm not pulling a Dave Black anytime soon.

* - That is more of an obscure movie reference I felt like making than an insult, btw.

I hate this world we live in. I mean America.

SOMEONE GET THE THREAD STARTER A JOB ALREADY. Considering how often I see "NEED COMPOSER!!" or "NEED MUSIC FOR XXXXX" posts, i'm surprised that this thread hasn't been spammed with "OMG PICK MY GAME <3 <3 <3" love. Unless they went straight for his inbox.

/caps

Is it? lol, I made something up on the fly - I was hoping it wasn't another game.

Wait, is Snake fighting the Vietnamese in Metal Gear? I've never played the series, myself...

Oh well, Abadoss, you see what I'm saying, right? You make up a scenario for him, then - I'd probably end up taking an idea from elsewhere, anyway :<.

Yeah. That's why I run CMC...

i think tweek knows what he's talking about, meteo. considering that this is his job and all.

Doesn't make his opinion about what a composer should be paid more right. Actually, since he got his info from the firm he works at, it might be terribly out of date? The music industry is too crowded nowadays, you can't expect to make as much money as in the past. Not saying it will make you broke but you'll have to compromise. Also, economic crisis anyone?

I dunno, I just don't like the attitude which mainly revolves around "don't do somethinc creative for free, it screws up MY ways to get money". It's terribly rude AND probably inaccurate.

SHIBbYinc, if you want to post your original tracks up for feedback, please use the Feedback: Originals/Other section of the forums.

And if you're looking to do music for some games to get experience, you'd be better served posting an offer up at some amateur game development forums, not a forum with a lot of musicians looking to get into the field.