Anime

You make it seem like said people have never seen Eva or wouldn't like it, most of the ones who have said FLCL backwards might make more sense were pretty avid friends of Eva, actually they were pretty big fans of both for different reasons.

No, actually, I'm just Eva-bashing whenever I can because I hate it so very much that it infuriates me that other people like it and my only catharsis is bitter internet diatribes.

And Eva isn't really that nonsensical, but judging what you've said in the past you didn't really pay much attention since there wasn't enough random mecha battling and too much introspection. :P

It's nonsensical as hell, and anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves. Which is pretty much what the creators intended. Seriously, all the random Christian symbolism? Angels firing cross-shaped laser explosions? (Hell, the fact that they're called Angels? And that they're all name for Biblical or pseudo-Biblical references? The supercomputers being named for the three wise men?) All the trippy-as-fuck Tree of Life stuff that happens during the Instrumentality during the movie? It doesn't mean a goddamn thing. It's not supposed to. It's just supposed to look cool and seem deep and meaningful, which it accomplishes in spades, but it doesn't actually mean anything. Even the creators admit it: "Assistant director Kazuya Tsurumaki said that they originally used Christian symbolism only to give the project a unique edge against other giant robot shows, and that it had no particular meaning, and that it was meant to be susceptible to multiple interpretations. Hiroki Sato, head of Gainax's PR department, has made similar statements."

But really, I could deal with the fact that it was all bullshit if it was enjoyable bullshit. But it's not. There are about three characters in the entire series that don't deserve a baseball bat to the temple, and they all come to bad ends. (Well, everyone in the series does, but the few actual likable characters especially). The only redeeming things that Evangelion has going for it is absolutely beautiful animation (especially during the giant robot vs alien bits), but even that came back and bit them in the ass. The reason why the last two episodes are fucked up voice over and still shot BS is because they spent their whole animation budget before the series was over. That's the price you pay for trying to animate a full-length series like it's a movie or an OVA.

See, now I got anti-Eva rant all over the thread. I just can't help myself. See what you made me do?

For a mindfuck anime that's less suck than Evangelion, and less random than FLCL, check out Paranoia Agent. It's pretty goddamn awesome.

I've heard FLCL was good and random fun, I've just never taken the time too, I'm in this blood and gore phase right now with anime...the only thing I've been watching that isn't blood and gore is my nostalgic watching of the original Yu-Gi-Oh, series...I remember watching it when I was younger, and I thought I'd go ahead and finish the series...I'll be watching Pokemon again next...*facepalms*

Meh. I think FLCL is vastly overrated. Only a few episodes and mind-freak style animation and storytelling.

Just watch the three Aria series and see why EXTREME visuals don't always equal great anime.

Also, if you like Blood and Gore in an anime.... you should watch Shigurui.. You'll probably end up gagging from all the horrors in that show.. I almost regret watching Shigurui..

See, now I got anti-Eva rant all over the thread. I just can't help myself. See what you made me do?

I bet you feel much better though, sometimes it's awesome to get rants out, and I think it was a good one cause you actually make sense rather than blindly liking or hating it.

You are absolutely right there is no symbolic meaning at all, but I never said there was (nor did I ever say it was deep or meaningful). I just said there's a story in all of it that actually makes sense. It pretty much boils down to, aliens made humans and angels, and the two organisms were never meant to mix as we see in eva. I pretty much just see the rest of the stuff (the biblical things) as background fluff, that the creator took and twisted to use for his own means because it worked as his vehicle of choice. I tend to ignore symbolism whether it is purposely put in by the creator or not.

I fully encourage you to use this rant of yours on people though, it is a good one especially considering you were apparently angry when you wrote it. Unfortunately it won't convince me to hate the anime (I don't particularly like it that much in the first place). So far I think the only Anime I have actually sat through all of and hated is Code Geass, and I can't even get into words why I don't like it, I just don't.

If this post somehow causes you more rage I am also very sorry, I don't like making people angry, it's not good for their health. o_o

You are absolutely right there is no symbolic meaning at all, but I never said there was (nor did I ever say it was deep or meaningful). I just said there's a story in all of it that actually makes sense.

Fair enough, I guess. I didn't really mean to suggest you did; I was more raving against the usual Eva "zomg it's so deep if u don't like it u must not understand it right" fan. Thankfully, those seem to be less prevalent on the internets in recent years. Here's hoping that the new movies and shit coming out don't bring them back out of the woodwork.

I agree with Luke, that is the Love Hina manga, it's the only one with a cover like that, most mangas generally have white covers, or covers matching the theme, Love Hina was the only series I'm familiar with that has maroon covers.

@Brushfire, nice collection, I have roughly 1/8th of what you have, and that's counting games, and mangas...I have very little of the other stuff...

XD, damn guitar hero controller taking up space...I have a big foam DDR pad doing that in my room.

You know Brushfire, you can't hate anime because you do have a nice big picture of Abel Knightroad right on your wall above the storage side of your desk. Not to mention a fucking shit ton of manga and anime figurines...I wish I had your kind of spending power because alot of my wall decoration involves me printing shit off my computer

Props for Earth Federation flags.

However, I require your address so that I may sneak into your place and burn that Zeon shit. You goddamn Zeek.

He's an equal opportunity mobile suit lover, I guess. Seriously, who in their right mind would argue that the Federation had cooler mook suits than the Zeon? Unless he really likes Char, which is also acceptable.

Until Char's Counterattack, anyway. XD

Seriously, who in their right mind would argue that the Federation had cooler mook suits than the Zeon?

ma_zakrello_a.gif

Yah Zeon designs sure are super-cool!

Unless he really likes Char, which is also acceptable.

Until Char's Counterattack, anyway. XD

Nah, Char was a douchebag loser right from the beginning. The only difference in CCA is that he's also genocidal.