Anime

Apparently I'm the only one who found the tachikomas creepy. They're robotic death machines with the voices of particularly shrill children. Even worse, they're occasionally discarded for a fleeting tactical advantage (as is natural for an unmanned unit), and they typically shriek in pain in their shrill childish voices while they "die".

That's creepy, man.

They don't feel pain, and their data (or "consciousness") is uploaded to a satellite in orbit, and downloaded back into another tackikoma brain, ready to be put onto a new body.

In fact, the series has the original ones "die" in a battle at the end, but in the movie following the series, the Major somehow used her magical hacking skills to retrieve them and gave them all new bodies and they work for here in her various maybe-maybe not legal activities.

That "shriek" is just the modem.

They don't feel pain, and their data (or "consciousness") is uploaded to a satellite in orbit, and downloaded back into another tackikoma brain, ready to be put onto a new body.

In fact, the series has the original ones "die" in a battle at the end, but in the movie following the series, the Major somehow used her magical hacking skills to retrieve them and gave them all new bodies and they work for here in her various maybe-maybe not legal activities.

That "shriek" is just the modem.

Because we all know that a highly advanced think-tank runs on a 256k modem.

I recently just finished watching The Big O (Christmas present from a buddy of mine). Enjoyed it quite a bit, and its rekindled my interest in Giant Mecha anime. Although, I think the ending was done for the sake of causing tons of discussion, when there really is no de facto ending.

Was it a giant piece of televised programming? Was all the nonsense about cloned humans legit? Didn't Schwartzwald (not to be confused with someone else on these here boards) look like a creepier version of Batman's Scarecrow.

We will never know....

Also, R. Dorothy is one of my favorite androids, up there with Iggy from Ergo Proxy.

I wouldn't watch IGPX because it was a slap in the face to the microseries they ran before making it a show

basically IGPX was supposed to be a mecha battle tournament, and a damn good one at that (realistic mecha doing capoeira), but execs decided robot racing would somehow be cooler

oh well

Yeah, shoot me for this one, but Naruto Shippuuden. Ok, normally, they've been on and off going good and mediocre and then filler season, but... ever since about 113 (and running up to 143), it's just been one of the most immersive shows I've seen (fyi, 144 starts moar filler... fail). Actually, speaking of their filler arcs, they don't suck (Shippuuden specifically), but the thing is, the story is so darn good that I don't care right now.

As far as other animes go... Inuyasha Kanketsu-hen is about the only other thing I care about (Bleach, screw you and your failish filler), though I wish they'd go about half the speed they're going. I know there's plenty more good animes to watch, but I'll hold off till summer or something.

though I wish they'd go about half the speed they're going

Did... did you just say that you wished an already hundreds-and-hundreds-of-episodes shonen series would go slower? The hell is wrong with you?

Fun fact: every series over 50 or so episodes eventually degrades into crap because the pace becomes glacial. And by "fact" I mean "my own personal opinion so try not to cause too much of a firestorm over the fact that I just insulted 90% of the most popular anime out there".

Let's see... Since I saw Kaiba last year I haven't really kept up with much anime (seriously, those of you that haven't seen Kaiba check it out now!) I should rewatch Big O and FLCL again; haven't seen those in a long while. Only anime I've seen since Kaiba have been has been Hidamari Sketch season 1-2 (slice of life show about 4 girls in a art magnet school), Haruhi season 2, and Allison and Lillia. Man so many other shows I need to see.

Did... did you just say that you wished an already hundreds-and-hundreds-of-episodes shonen series would go slower? The hell is wrong with you?

Fun fact: every series over 50 or so episodes eventually degrades into crap because the pace becomes glacial. And by "fact" I mean "my own personal opinion so try not to cause too much of a firestorm over the fact that I just insulted 90% of the most popular anime out there".

2-4 chapters an episode is a great pace. They're doing about 5-12 per episode, and... it's just too darn fast. "Ooh, touching mom- ok, 5 seconds is up, let's have pointless humor- ok, 10 seconds is up, let's STATE THE OBVIOUS... no time limit either." Some of the more battle-packed areas greatly benefit off the extra speed, but areas that had more dialogue are mindlessly flying past and often times nonsensically. It's still good over all, but it's definitely rushed.

dear god how the hell did it take me this long to start watching haruhi

You know, I watched the first season and while yes, I did fine the series so far very funny and amusing, I didn't see why it had garnered so much bloody attention. Is it part of a particular genre of anime that I'm just not getting? I thought it was great but not the praise I was hearing from fellow anime junkies.

Also, I've never seen the second season and maybe my views would be changed on the matter. Any suggestions?

You know, I watched the first season and while yes, I did fine the series so far very funny and amusing, I didn't see why it had garnered so much bloody attention. Is it part of a particular genre of anime that I'm just not getting? I thought it was great but not the praise I was hearing from fellow anime junkies.

Also, I've never seen the second season and maybe my views would be changed on the matter. Any suggestions?

It's overhyped. I mean, it's a very well done anime (and one of my favorites) but people act like it's the best thing ever. The second season actually pissed off a lot of the fans (which I found rather humorous), but I still found it a fun watch. It's a cute and funny series, and If you were at least entertained by the first season, there's no reason not to watch the second. Just don't expect it to blow you away.

It's overhyped. I mean, it's a very well done anime (and one of my favorites) but people act like it's the best thing ever. The second season actually pissed off a lot of the fans (which I found rather humorous), but I still found it a fun watch. It's a cute and funny series, and If you were at least entertained by the first season, there's no reason not to watch the second. Just don't expect it to blow you away.

I hate this show.

But not because of the show, more of the community that likes (read: worships) this show.I have said once, and I will say it again:

NERDS RUIN EVERYTHING!!

Thanks. I'll see if I can see the second season eventually. I've been watching a lot of downer stuff lately and I think it would be nice to see something more comedic.

I hate this show.

But not because of the show, more of the community that likes (read: worships) this show.I have said once, and I will say it again:

Yeah, I've noticed this small bit of discipleship on the internetz. Best just to make them THINK that their show is holier than thou, than to tell them "the cake is a lie"

I actually went and bought the Ghost in the shell ps2 game. ($7) It was a 3rd person shooter and you played as the Major and Batou. The game plays alright, and the story definitely has that GitS feel, but the level design is horrible, it's very short, the AI is retarded, and the story is broken up by these long empty levels. But I expected that. It wasn't a bad game. Major and Batou play very differently, the graphics are very well done for last gen, and there's vs multiplayer.

I have it too. I enjoyed it, but yeah the AI is pretty dumb.

The PSX game is better. You just run around in a Fuchikoma blowing shit up, and the animated cutscenes look almost exactly like the manga, where the movies and tv series do not at all :P

Yeah, I've noticed this small bit of discipleship on the internetz. Best just to make them THINK that their show is holier than thou, than to tell them "the cake is a lie"

Are you referring to sky cake? Because it's PIE!!

:STAB:

If not, nm. Thought you were talking about that Patton Oswalt joke.

Feel free to delete my post, mods :D