OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

So I've been trying to work on Launchpad again as of late. Stage 3 isn't implemented yet, but I've made some changes to Stages 1 and 2. If anyone wants to try it out and give some feedback, that would be wonderful. (If Powerlord or FireSlash want to put it on the server for some playtesting, that would also be wonderful, although I believe they have more pressing matters to deal with right now.)

Linky.

So I've been trying to work on Launchpad again as of late. Stage 3 isn't implemented yet, but I've made some changes to Stages 1 and 2. If anyone wants to try it out and give some feedback, that would be wonderful. (If Powerlord or FireSlash want to put it on the server for some playtesting, that would also be wonderful, although I believe they have more pressing matters to deal with right now.)

Linky.

Speaking of new material... Here is the OTHER idea I have for Engineer, which I've thrown at several friends (Engineer and non) before finally bothering to try and get a quick crappy render of one part of it and put it up for perusal. Please take a look and tell me what you think either here or there.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2015091

Much appreciated! :<

Linky.

Just to give some first impressions (which are what you're going to want to appeal to when people first jump into your map):

-The layout feels pretty confusing, especially for RED team. Even with the giant red arrows it was still somewhat hard to figure out where to go.

-That little drop off with the giant square pit seems like a cool spot, but it looks like it wouldn't end up being a very important spot in the gameplay, which is a shame because it seems like there's some potential there. I think maybe expanding on that little deck area and emphasizing the exits there would make it cooler. Then again, you play Spy a lot, so maybe that was what it was intented for? A less traveled (and more dangerous) route?

-Goes without saying, there's not a lot of flavor to the map. It's pretty bland looking, but you're well aware of that I think.

-Point A looks kind of interesting to play on. I like the different elevation levels there and the fact that there are two paths to get to it. The only thing I can think to suggest is maybe making a plank board walkway from that BLU house right across from it that leads along the wall and goes adjacent to the point. Just one more point of entry, and would make that BLU house more important for getting in and out of.

Those are just my suggestions. I'm really interested in making maps myself, but I haven't started yet so my advice is entirely just opinion.

-The layout feels pretty confusing, especially for RED team. Even with the giant red arrows it was still somewhat hard to figure out where to go.

You're not the first person to point this out, unfortunately. Is it a problem of insufficient/conflicting signage or too many twists and turns or something else? (Screenshots would help -- "When I'm standing in this location it looks like I should go here instead of there.")

-That little drop off with the giant square pit seems like a cool spot, but it looks like it wouldn't end up being a very important spot in the gameplay, which is a shame because it seems like there's some potential there. I think maybe expanding on that little deck area and emphasizing the exits there would make it cooler. Then again, you play Spy a lot, so maybe that was what it was intented for? A less traveled (and more dangerous) route?
The original concept for the map involved a large deathpit next to the main route, but I know that most people hate dying to the environment so I put a fence by the edge so you had to be blasted off by the enemy or else do it on purpose. Then I overhauled the layout and we have the wooden deck that's there now so that you can get to the other side without being in full view of enemy Snipers. I'm glad you like it though.

This may come as a shock, but I'm trying not to give Spies too many advantages. Sufficient ammo for cloak, hallways wide enough to sidestep enemies, and interesting cover and height variations are the limit of my efforts on that front.

-Goes without saying, there's not a lot of flavor to the map. It's pretty bland looking, but you're well aware of that I think.
Indeed. Some areas are more exiting than others depending on whether or not I got any inspiration.
-Point A looks kind of interesting to play on. I like the different elevation levels there and the fact that there are two paths to get to it. The only thing I can think to suggest is maybe making a plank board walkway from that BLU house right across from it that leads along the wall and goes adjacent to the point. Just one more point of entry, and would make that BLU house more important for getting in and out of.
I have a small confession to make -- that building is only there to take up space. (The alternative was yet another rock.)

I forgot to mention this, but the amount of exits from the RED spawn seemed really excessive and confusing. I wasn't quite sure why there were so many of them.

Sir Prize you should definitely remake that thread in the Engineer section. I'm pretty sure that community - Other thing is more used for models and stuff, which weren't really the focus of your thread.

Sir Prize you should definitely remake that thread in the Engineer section. I'm pretty sure that community - Other thing is more used for models and stuff, which weren't really the focus of your thread.

I copied and pasted the stuff into the other thread, after realizing that just putting a link was kinda dumb. The thread in the Engineer section is here, for the curious:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2015133

Some minor changes have been made, such as making the shottie have four shots from two... and an added attempt at a shottie render.

I forgot to mention this, but the amount of exits from the RED spawn seemed really excessive and confusing. I wasn't quite sure why there were so many of them.

It started with just the two front exits, with the intent that more than one door would help RED defend against spawncamping. But it was still pretty easy for BLU to waltz by and attack RED right out of their spawn, so I added the third exit in the back.

emot-siren.gif IF YOU PAY FIRESLASH FOR A RESERVED SLOT, YOU NEED TO CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION IN GOOGLE CHECKOUT emot-siren.gif

I can't do this for you. Seriously. Because the subs weren't tied to item codes, I can't cancel them. You need to do it. Otherwise you're donating to the "throw sand in the gaping hole in FS's wallet" fund, which gets you a shiny box of nothing.

emot-siren.gif IF YOU PAY FIRESLASH FOR A RESERVED SLOT, YOU NEED TO CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION IN GOOGLE CHECKOUT emot-siren.gif

I can't do this for you. Seriously. Because the subs weren't tied to item codes, I can't cancel them. You need to do it. Otherwise you're donating to the "throw sand in the gaping hole in FS's wallet" fund, which gets you a shiny box of nothing.

So, does this mean I won't get kicked on a regular basis due to the reserve slot or are you going to implement a random "kick player for fun" plugin?

So, does this mean I won't get kicked on a regular basis due to the reserve slot or are you going to implement a random "kick player for fun" plugin?

Nah it'll just freeze up the game in that fidgety laggy way and after about 20 seconds you will be on a separate, duplicate server with all of the same player's names copied to bots.

I meant to post this last night, but we were getting very high ping times on the NEW BLU server last night.

I'm hoping it was a temporary thing, but if it persists, we may have to look into moving our servers again.

Having said that, I'm not touching reserved slots for the moment.

The "NEW" servers are essentially free to me, as I'm (ab)using my position as VGMusic's sysadmin to use the VGMusic box for them. VGMusic uses nowhere near the bandwidth or processor/memory resources it has at its disposal.

Son of a bitch :(

Actually, he's lying. It's randomlyKickPhill.smx (because that's the SourceMod plugin file extension).

In other news, I got some more gruntwork done on the Builtin Votes extension this afternoon. Hopefully I'll finish a new version for testing later this week.

I hope you sent emails to everyone that does have a reserved slot, I rarely visits the forum... Actually I only posted here twice or something, I wouldn't know if i didn't get bored and clicked here by chance.

So, as I mentioned and linked to earlier... I decided to put forth my own idea for an Engy weapon and building replacement. However, one of my biggest issues is that the render seems to be a problem. 3D graphics have never been one of my strong points... so I'm trying to find either a.) a really easy program (I've been using 3DS Max and I have Blender I think somewhere) or b.) someone with some artistic skill who wants to team up on this project.

Since OCR seems to have artistic folk of the musical bent, perhaps it has some graphical arteests as well... or at least know someone who'd be willing to help out. :<

is there something wrong with GameBanana?

You know, it actually makes a lot more sense for it to be a Spy head since spies have the ability to see enemy health, and the fact that the head was in the Meet the Team video but the Solemn Vow wasn't.