OCR02151 - Return All Robots! "Robotastic Dub-o-Matic Genetic Lab"

djpretzel

Even though Anso is super-busy these days actually SCORING (rather than remixing) tons of indie soundtracks, I'm glad he was able to participate in the RAR remix contest and create this awesome arrangement. It's as bizarre and quirky as the game itself, and the whole development team got a big kick out of it. Very creative, perfect dub groove. Go Anso!

Really cool.

edit: I also have to ask, have you heard the OST to an anime called Kaiba? There's a track on that OST that has a similar dub/electronic fusion style... though I think your track is better :)

I'm familiar with Kaiba but have yet to see it. This is more inspired by Ott and some classic dub compilations I found at a library in Stockholm. :)

Some of the samples are a bit iffy, like the accordion or harmonica sample (can't really put my finger on what it is), but besides that, this works. Nice funky bass with cool effects sprinkled throughout. This is like a mixture of bad drug trip and reggae, and it chills me in my loins. It does drag on a tiiiiiiny bit longer than I thought. Very enjoyable though, I'm finding it hard to pick a lot of stuff out that I dislike (a good thing).

Oh yeah, the name rocks too.

Robotic Dub Reggie? Jeez, you just can't put a limit on the amount of new things you hear on this site, eh? The music sounds really good in this tune, what with the whole funky robotic dub thing going. Has a nice beat and the flow really works over the course of the song. Reggie and Tropical Beats are some of my favorite genres, and this is an impressive take on all that so well done. Was really hard to find any faults with this track. Sounds really good, Mattias.

• 11 months later...

Strangely, the sources seem to sound as if they'd want to adapt to reggae, ESPECIALLY the Main Theme. So I say you went for something rather tasteful with the genre adaptation. :D

So the track arrangement-wise has "Jamaican Cyberturtle" as the front piece, though the cameos thrown into the game's main theme managed to fit in appropriately within the set too. This genre adaptation kind of works appropriately with the ambience and the envelopes that kind of give that 'creatures living on top of the water' vision towards it. There are indeed a couple of parts throughout the song that rises the track into more of a cacophony of textures - fitting Matt's maximalist approach - and even then they seem to take more of a backseat to the minimalist dub writing that makes this atmosphere so unique.

Also, is that live bass at the 3 minute mark? I swore that slap feels somewhat distinct, and I somehow feel clueless for not seeing you able to carry that forward before :razz:

To me, this feels so relaxed and chilled; a completely different writing-based vision to zircon's score, but I personally felt it all paid off by providing a very rare laid back experience, complete with a light hint of tia maria in the mix. (don't ask where I got that from, haha) Nice going!

• 7 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02151 - Return All Robots! "Robotastic Dub-o-Matic Genetic Lab"