*NO* Mario Paint 'Love 2 B Painting'

djpretzel

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/mpnt.rsn - Creative Exercise (mpnt-09.spc)

I ended up not feeling anything I've heard from the happy hardcore genre so far, but I think that's because I haven't anything awesome from the genre yet. Palpable's take on it certainly has a lot of potential, but I don't think it lives up to his previous tracks just yet.

Not a fan of the keyboard being so exposed like that from :12-:33 & 1:59-2:10; just sounded really tacky and default-ish. The lead coming in at :35 did a nice job of relegating it to being the support instrumentation. When the keyboard was prominent and exposed it sounded awful, but in the back it added to the track nicely.

The chorus from :58-1:08 would be all kosher with me if the volume didn't get so loud the and soundfield wasn't so swamped. The texture of the synths, keyboard, claps, orchestral stabs, beats, etc, felt awfully thin to me, and I felt the arrangement should have done something more with the theme from 2:22 until the end, rather than retread what you already laid down before. Good stuff so far, but I feel as if it could be more in regards to the instrumentation, as well as the arrangement in the second half.

NO (resubmit)

THOU SHALT NOT PASTE!!!

Far too much repitition especially when the section at the beggining and the end are almost identical with subtle percusive differences and the melody being doubled an octave above. That piano is ugly and Liontamer was quite apt in saying it should never under any circumstances be left exposed like it was from 0:12-0:33 and 1:59-2:10. The piano also plays the EXACT SAME FIGURE over and over. Add this to the fact that the drums almost never change and you get an incredibly mechanical and tiresome arrangement given the fact that by the end we have probably heard that piano parts upward of 50 times.

I'd like to state for the record that I loved the section from 1:48 to 2:00 but it's almost as if the music suspected that I was enjoying myself and decided "I must put an end to his fun" so right after my favorite section.... the bare-naked piano returns.

:arrow:More fullness like from 1:48 would be a good place to start interms of trying to fix this

:arrow: AND COVER UP THAT PIANO BUDDY!

NO

I'm going to have to take a 180 here.

I love this.

Often when a tune is "converted" to a totally different genre, especially an electronic one, it suffers from blatant unoriginality and n00bitis. I don't think this is the case here at all. Everything is well mixed, balanced and clear. Every instrument has a defined purpose. It's organized very well. There is a good amount of repetition, but I can't fault adherency to a genre's mainstays. Blues music is based on the same 12 bars over and over again. There are rap songs out there that repeat far more than this and are still enjoyable.

This tune is a lot of fun in that it's simple, but it's still got all the bases covered across the frequency range, and does a great job interpreting the original tune into something much more energetic. The original was easy to listen to for hours, so I think the same can be said about this, for me.

I actually really like the piano sample. It's so blatantly used for old-school, cheesy effect - and it is AWESOME. Doesn't even really sound like a piano! Brilliant!

The mix could use some additional ornamentation, and maybe some more experimental synth design, but that might even detract from the full-speed-ahead feeling that makes it truly enjoyable. Dance club material, i'd say. Even though I don't....um... go to... dance.... ahem..... clubs. *Uh-GULP!*

YES

-D

AHAHA I love that Puzzle Bobble-ish pop sound. Awesome.

Yeah this is good stuff. I really dig the genre, and this is a particularly nice genre adaptation. The production is ace. Everything sits PERFECTLY in the mix. The orchestral hits particularly had the potential to mess things up, but right when it seems like there's too much, they disappear.

Lots of nice changeups throughout the arrangement too; doesn't really get boring, despite the reiteration of some lines.

I like it!

A strong YES

This is fun stuff and definitely embodies the Mario vibe.

That being said I’m all for the first two minutes of this mix where the dry piano (which I enjoy), omm-tss beat, creatively placed SFX, attention to panning and decent lead synth make for a body-moving bubbly dance track. I love the carnival-esque sections at 1:10-1:37 and the outro. They are full of pure hoedown fun. I even like the cluttered section at 0:58-1:04 where the soundfield is packed with orch hits but doesn’t stay long enough to be offensive.

Unfortunately, come 2:45 my attention wanes as I realize that the last minute of the mix is going to be repeated material. For the genre, that’s to be expected and I realize that plenty of music in general thrives on repeated sections but in this instance, this repeated section loses me and for over a minute I’m left wishing that some new themes or arrangement ideas were introduced to spice things up. My decision comes down to how much that bothers me.

Oh how I wish that the last section was more creative but for what I feel are the strengths of the first portions of the mix I can see my way to a

borderline YES

Guys, please reconsider this. The song is goofy and fun and entertaining, but it's nowhere near the bar in terms of arrangement, elaboration or creativity.

This is very little more than the original with drums over it. the groove is incredibly consistent. it never changes, save an interlude and the end breaks. There's virtually no arrangement. the melody is pretty much the only thing distinguishing the sections. (again with the exceptions of the brief interlude and the end section). There's not nearly enough variation for an OCRemix.

It has been the policy of this panel that a mix being enjoyable is not alone enough for it to pass. OCR has a high expectation of creativity, innovation and artistic excellence. As cute and fun as you guys think this mix is, it's clearly and markedly below where the bar should be, and where the bar has been in the past.

No.

I sincerely hope you three reconsider your votes. I understand that you enjoy this remix, and i'm not saying it isnt enjoyable, but I strongly believe that it is very important to maintain OCR's standards of excellence. This mix is a big step backwards from where the bar has been in the past ~1.5-2 years.

let it be known that i actually do like happy hardcore.

yes, i all too often indulge in such guilty pleasures...

palpable is a talented guy and if he was able to execute this remix as well as previous efforts, i would probably pass it.

in this case though, it's a token effort happy hardcore adaptation.

this is not as hard, fast, or aggressive as it needs to be to have all the joy of happy hardcore and instead comes off as embarrassing house music.

arrangement leaves much to be desired but it's not bad, all things considered.

while i don't think it'd be a crime to pass this mix, i think this one should be reworked.

no

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is a pretty creative and well-produced mix overall. Good variety of sounds, no mastering problems, lots of funky effects, interesting choices of samples, and most importantly, at least SOME variation in the drums. The exposed piano parts seem a little out of place, though, and the drum section could be a little harsher and more aggressive. However I like the technical end of things overall.

Arrangement, given the simplicity of the original, is solid. There's a good mix of bridges, original stuff, and variation. Nothing spectacular but I believe it's an identifiably unique interpretation.

This is a fun mix with no big shortcomings, imo. No reason for me not to pass.

YES

I enjoyed the mixture of samples, from the orchestra hits to the bubble sound effects. Is it just a pure cover? Mmm, hard to say. But it's clean, clear, and tight enough to get my yes.

YES

edit: Vig's comment is something to consider, I think. Certainly the bar is there, but whether that bar applies to creative loop-de-loops, imagination, or that indefaticable *something* inbetween is a debate. I think we all have our own little guages for what qualifies for imaginitive-enough, and this passed for me.

This doesn't sound at all like Palpable quality to me, I feel this is a bit of a step back of what we've heard from him (and that was like well over a year ago!), and certainly overall I don't think it meets the bar. I do and can agree with some of the Yes votes, they make good points, but for me this is a decent arrangement with a lot of gimmicky traits (reminds me of a lot of mixes from 2-3 yrs ago).

To me it just comes off as a cute/fun token mix with lots of gimmicks. Decent all around but nothing really that stands out for me in arrangement, execution, or production. Sure this is a fun listen the first time, but I can't really envision this meeting today's bar. Needs more work and polish. NO

• 2 weeks later...

definetly a cute fun tune; standard happy hardcore fanfare and unsurprisingly fitting for mario paint.

i'm going to have to echo some of whats been said in the NO votes; while this is fun and cute, this does not bring enough to the table in terms of arrangement. after the second listen, its lack of arrangement does come back to haunt it.

this is a tough one to make a final call on because it is fantastic for happy hardcore and is fitting for the bill but i don't think this meets the bar and if its such a borderline decision, i'm not going to YES it

sorry but your other work is far better than this

NO