Seiken Densetsu 3: Songs of Light and Darkness - History

Usa

Why a preview tbh? Isn't this pretty close to being done? Hasn't there already been 1 preview? :-o

Because it still has to go through project mod eval.

Because it won't be released for at least half a year. Album queue and things.

Because we can showcase a little more than fit into the trailer.

Because I promised.

Because. :D

• 2 weeks later...

My redo of POSITIVE is almost finished. Likely still needs some polishing and I need to figure out how to get the drums in there to sound as heavy as they are without sounding... overcompressed? I'm not quite sure how to describe it. Maybe stuff that can be taken care of in mastering, but we'll see. It's still kind of a strange track, but now it should fit much better alongside everyone else's. :)

Now I just need to fix up my "Long Goodbye" track as best I can.

It's good to see things progressing nicely! The preview sounds really good.

After hearing it though, I'm even more unsatisfied with my own track :( I thought about reworking some of it recently, but I've somehow lost the .flp file, along with a number of others :cry:. After hearing how good all these other tracks sound though...

I might just try and re-work the track from scratch using my finished one as a reference.

I might just try and re-work the track from scratch using my finished one as a reference.

Why? Your track is largely fine, it just needs a little reverb wetness, or whatever fixes it from being a bit muddy and scratchy. I didn't hear anything in your track that really merits fixing up to a degree even close to it.

Edit: Wait, did you give us a WAV or MP3? I could probably see the merit in it if all we have is the MP3, but in a .WAV I don't see the need for it.

Edited by Meteo Xavier

Why? Your track is largely fine, it just needs a little reverb wetness, or whatever fixes it from being a bit muddy and scratchy. I didn't hear anything in your track that really merits fixing up to a degree even close to it.

Edit: Wait, did you give us a WAV or MP3? I could probably see the merit in it if all we have is the MP3, but in a .WAV I don't see the need for it.

Well that's good to hear. I'm at least 90% positive I gave you guys a wav file, and I have a wav saved on multiple computers if not, so things should be fine in that regard.

I guess if you don't really see a problem with it, then I'll try not to fret over it. I just heard all the awesome tracks in the preview and felt insecure about my own stuff I suppose :???:

I'm late to the response party but I just got the OCR email update and you guys are sounding fantastic. Big kudos on such a great gathering of talent!

Meanwhile, it does seem like my track is blooming a bit much, especially in the bass department, so if you guys need new wavs of my tracks to help fix some of that, give me a poke. Something about SONAR that just does a horrible job of rendering. :P

Definitely looking forward to the monstrous full album and I'm sure you guys will be ecstatic to finally see this out of your collective hairs too, heheh. Keep that tunage grooving, guys!

Update from me.

My computer, after 4.5 years, died and I have ordered a new one. Super pissed about that, particularly as I didn't get a WAV out of my new version of POSITIVE yet.

Good news is that my C drive might still be ok and I think I have the .flp file safe, just a matter of re-installing my shit back on it. If not, I may need to open back up POSITIVE and LONG GOODBYE, as the old files I have on there really aren't that great and need to be done properly.

The preview has some light compression on it, which differs from track to track. it's not mastering-quality stuff, just a quickie to keep tracks in line with one another in levels. I noticed my own track is a bit thick around the mids, so I'll probably go back and fix that so there'll be less work in the mastering, but I don't think I've heard much that I'd really want a new render of. We can do a lot of balancing in the mastering, which is one of the reasons we wanted wavs. Some things are better done in the mixing phase, but we're at least gonna even out levels and frequency balance across the album.

That said, we aren't gonna say no to updated tracks... Or brand new ones if they can be finished in time.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I've had two really, REALLY, fucking bad weeks back to back. Computer blew up, tree fell on the house, holes punched in the wall from some drunk douchebag, family health issues, my own copy of SD3 blowing up for no reason... my GOD I would've preferred to not survive this month.

But, I did, somehow. What did I miss or who do I owe people what?

• 4 weeks later...

Here I thought "it's summer, I've now got loads and loads of time for music stuff". Should have known better.

I have a feedback PM I should do, and then look over the mixing on my tracks and finish Frenzy. It's not much. Just need to stop doing other stuff for a day.

Archangel, Phonetic Hero, Jormungand and I have tracks that aren't finished yet. Once they're done, we're handing over this behemoth to project eval. Until they're done, there's still time to fiddle with your tracks, in case there was something you weren't quite satisfied with, or otherwise wanted to change.

We're also still open to more tracks. Rbrn showed me a superfun baroque remix of a track. if anyone else wants to do more tracks and get them on the album, that's perfectly fine. It'll help me organize the track order on the discs if I have a few bonus tracks I can put in there.

We're also still accepting art, if anyone wants to help out with the previews and the trailer. We've got some cool people already, and some amazing art, but there's still room for more. PM me for details.

In other words, I suck at this project management thing. Things are stupidly slow, but we're not stopping.

I've already been on this project for 4-5 years, whats another one?

Seriously though, we don't have a final deadline in. We wanted one, but reality dictates otherwise and we didn't want to rush out a project that wasn't up to the highest qualities within our grasp just to call it complete. It's done when it's done.

But take heart, it WILL be done sooner than later. Roz's and mine's schedules just got REALLY cluttered here in the last stages, and that's the only hang-up right now.

• Liontamer changed the title to Seiken Densetsu 3: Songs of Light and Darkness - History
  • Liontamer locked this topic