Which is better and why?

So I made

. I spent about 10 minutes on it, it's only a few seconds long, and I made it as a demo song as celebration of getting EWQLSO Gold. There are a few mistakes I made in the notes, but if I do say so myself, the production is pretty good overall, and it's a decent piece.

Then this guy comes along, bashing it relentlessly. He made about 15 comments insulting me and the piece (he clearly only listened to that one piece and no other works of mine before going on to insult me outside of musical ability). I try to remain level-headed, but obviously, that gets difficult with someone so belligerent. I ask him to leave with every comment he makes, and every time I do so, he just keeps going. It escalated to the point where I blocked him, and he decided to make an alternate account just to keep insulting me directly, through YouTube's personal messaging system. I then reported him for harassment, but that's beside the point.

So he makes his own version to prove something. What that may be, I don't know, because frankly, I think his is terrible. It's longer than mine, sure, and he didn't show the same carelessness I did with mine (but come on, I spent 10 minutes on the thing, I wasn't trying to make it amazing). But ultimately, it uses only strings, with little variation in the sound aside from jarring velocity changes that frankly, make it unbearable. To me, it sounds like he has absolutely no idea how to properly mix a song, leaving his mix sounding incredibly un-proficient. (He's also got another orchestral cover that I find to be even worse for all the same reasons.)

So I'm here to get the opinions from you guys, the ones who know what they're doing really well. Is he right to be so arrogant? Is my work better overall, or is his? What can I learn from this whole thing to better myself as a musician? I would ask what can he learn, but I've politely offered my help to him over PM and he made it very clear he doesn't want any "advice" from the likes of me.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and/or critiques on the matter.

Honestly, I'm not sure which is better production wise since I am not a mixer or anything like that.

But what I can say is that if people are just going to bash your music, no matter how skilled they are, just tell them to eat shit and move on. If it is legit criticisms, then it is a different story.

With music, there are a lot of people out there who are either: Good, and they know it. Or, grossly exaggerate their own abilities. Both of which gives them this feeling like they are entitled to shit-talk music they view as inferior. It's the same kinda thing with guitarists. "Your tone sucks because you're not using the same amp and effects I like" or, "you can't sweep at 200 bpm like I can, so you suck at guitar" kinda thing.

Honestly, I'm not sure which is better production wise since I am not a mixer or anything like that.

Well, you don't need to be an expert to be able to tell that neither of these is very good. I suppose the question should have been "which is less bad"

Regardless, thanks for your input. I find that to often be the case, as well.

Seriously, it's a troll. Don't waste time. Delete, report, done. The more you get riled up, the more you feed the troll. If you do know your orchestration isn't that good, spend time working on it, not fussing over youtube comments. 10,000 hour rule; trolls ain't got no slice of that pie.

I'm not here to complain about him, I'm here to find out if what he said has any validity to it. To an extent, sure it does. But I'm here to get feedback on both my own and his version for how to improve as a musician. The primary goal here is improvement, the story was just an explanation of what got me thinking about a piece I made so long ago. I would have put it in the Workshop forum, but because it's comparison, I wasn't sure that was the place for it.

Learn to take critique.

Be very careful how you handle your youtube account. If people checking you out for the first time see you flying off the handle because of what one person said that will turn them off quick.

Being cool to the people who don't like what you do is part of doing any art.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvpWHnRokNM

Try to listen to the differences between the two. Take what you like and reject the rest.

Be very careful how you handle your youtube account. If people checking you out for the first time see you flying off the handle because of what one person said that will turn them off quick.

I agree with this general point, because in my day, I've had as much as an interested publisher actually BREAK INTO MY FACEBOOK ACCOUNT to see if I'm bad-mouthing any of his associates and lost one because I was (without known he was an associate), but I haven't seen much of this. Does this kind of thing happen much on Youtube?

Leave him alone, 'cause he isn't worth your time. His stuff is okay, and - if I'm honest - I think you two showed around the same level of skill in your versions. However, you seem to have far more experience, and a lot of solid tracks that you've created on your channel to backup the fact that you are incredibly talented at this kind of thing already. I can tell that guy was being rude for the sake of being rude, so don't let it get to you. Arguments on your home turf as it were are a lot harder to simply avoid, but he's made his 'point' and whether you like it or not he'll persist until you've stopped or you block him. Believe me, it isn't worth arguing with him. XD

Also, I subscribed because I'm really enjoying listening through the stuff on your channel. Keep up the good work!

Don't spit oil into the fire of an attention-whore ;D

If you love creating Music, there won't be any competition to that feeling!

People always act like this because of jealousy and they take even more action if you show some response. So just ignore him, lean back and enjoy his childish tantrum.