Final Fantasy IV - Main Theme Orchestra

dummy

I've been wanting to tackle a Final Fantasy IV piece for a while and picked this as my first. It's the main theme reorchestrated.

| SoundCloud

As with my usual posts, I do consider it finished but I'd love any thoughts/criticisms/opinions on the realism that I can take forward to future pieces I work on.

Thanks in advance for listening and any comments!

This is utterly amazing as usual... thanks for sharing that! Will you be finishing and submitting it?

I am so curious, since you use FL... do you have trouble with memory issues when using all those plugins? (Kontakt and EWQL stuff) I find that even when using the 64bit versions of everything, sometimes FL just fails/chokes/crashes (due to its 32bit limitations)... what are your tricks for making it work? Do you bounce everything down to wav before it has a chance to lock up?

This is utterly amazing as usual... thanks for sharing that! Will you be finishing and submitting it?

Thanks! I think this piece is as finished as I'll be getting it. The trouble I have nowadays is that I only have an hour or so to sit down and work on these things and I am terrible at picking stuff back up later, so I try to finish the pieces in a single sitting. I might take a look at writing a little piano solo to beef up the ending a little and maybe submitting that.

I do have issues with FL if I'm using Kontakt 64. Sometimes it just flakes out and crashes on me - I've just learned to turn on autosave to every 5 minutes and put up with it. I also find that Kontakt is a little more cpu hungry when running the bit bridge and so I get crackling with lower buffer sizes (I have to crank it up from 256 samples to about 1024).

Most of the time I just avoid this though by using 32bit Kontakt. I took the plunge a while back and ordered 2x128gb and 2x256gb SSD drives and so I can easily load instruments into Kontakt and set the buffer to 6kb rather than 60kb with no problems. It's nice as it means a patch that may usually take up 300mb or so just takes up 30mb and lets me load a lot more into 4gb.

Also, sometimes if I'm working in 32bit and a project does get too big I bounce it down at key parts. So if I have the first section of a remix done that transitions into a different style I'll work with two projects (using rendered wavs of each as reference).

Sorry for my waffling, hopefully that makes sense.

I'm hoping FL comes up with a fully-functional 64bit version soon (although the first pass will probably be buggy as hell). I find problems with the 32 as well as the 64 bit "bridged" versions of plugins. Quite often, when my file decides to fail or freeze, Kontakt (and sometimes Omnisphere) dumps my multis. I've learned to save those multis every time I add a new instrument... but it's frustrating. Keeping your libraries on a separate drive is sounding like a better idea. I just bought a huge drive (1.5tb)... maybe I'll move them... but that has its issues as well (moving stuff after it has settled in somewhere). Arg! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Oh and yeah, I'm starting to do multiple bounce-downs as well... but those wavs eat up cpu as well... it's always something!

You finish your songs in an hour??? Oh man. It takes me weeks.

Thanks! Glad everyone's liking it!

Oops - I fixed the description on the site. Must have forgotten to copy-paste the description over from Youtube. Thanks for letting me know.

I'm hoping FL comes up with a fully-functional 64bit version soon (although the first pass will probably be buggy as hell).

I'm hoping for a 64bit FL Studio too, though I'm not sure it's very likely :( Bridged mode is a bit unstable - that's why I don't use it when I don't need to. I also wish the Patcher plugin worked a little better. It could be really cool for creating orchestral templates if it worked a little better.

I've gotten pretty efficient at creating remixes. I can compose 1-2 minutes per hour in general. Making my own music takes a little longer but not by too much. FL Studio just gives a really awesome workflow and I know my sounds really well from developing most of them.

Another friend of mine makes music for smaller video games for a living. He uses Cubase and has humongous templates set up, including hundreds of instruments (to include every articulation for every instrument). I think he feels this could not be done in FL. But you have obviously done it VERY well... highly impressive.

Thanks!

I think FL Studio gets a lot of stick and is seen as a toy, but it's definitely capable of doing anything the more commonly used DAWs can do. I think the only weakness I have with it is scoring to video. It's still a pain in the butt playing back video if you're changing tempos, but apparently they are working on a solution to this.

I don't even tend to use a template - I just drag in the instruments as I need them. I think it helps that I know the libraries inside out so know in my head how each patch/articulations sounds

Dang, man. That was amazing. My only suggestion is length - I was left wanting much, much, much more, but that's because what you had was awesome and I didn't want it to stop. :mrgreen::nicework:

Thanks, glad to hear you liked. I get a lot of stick about the lengths of my orchestrations so it's definitely something I'm looking to improve somehow.