OCR00573 - Super Metroid "Mega Dance Mix 2002"

orkybash

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love this song, it's just a great techno tune. The bells are so great, and I personally like the flanged voice samples at the beginning and the end of the piece. The voice samples not only tie the song intro and ending together, but they also tie it back to Super Metroid. Most of this music is original, but that doesn't mean it's not good... it's excellent! A fun techno song to listen to in the car or at parties. And yes, I play OC remixes at parties. (People like them a lot, more often than not... and you should see the looks on their faces when I tell them it's "only" video game music... :mrgreen: ) Anyway, yes, this song is a great techno ditty. Download it, it's great!

Personal Rating: 9/10 :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Nowadays, this would NEVER make it past me on the panel, AFAIK. Ye olden days were a lot looser in terms of what got on.

It's certainly not bad in any way from a sound quality perspective. This sounds awesome, and it definitely one of my favorite tracks to listen to. The connections to the original though are rather minimal, which is unfortunate in retrospect. Someone (Chris?) fill me in on whether I'm missing something.

Just based on this sound quality though, I always wanted MIDIman to hit us again with some new stuff. Now that we've met at Otakon this past summer, hopefully he'll come out with some new material like he alluded to. Good luck to him and Escape Pod Audio!

I've listened to this remix for a long time, and this'll be my first time reviewing any song.

I've tried Metroid repeatedly and failed early on (bad gamer, remember?) but this song by itself made me come to look up Metroid again, at least to read about it. This song is definitive for me as Metroid as the Bobomb field is for Mario. Great, great stuff.

• 5 months later...

I really don't hear any Metroid in here at all, though maybe there are some connections in the spacey sounds? Metroid had a lot of very ambient stuff going on, so maybe this is just a bit of melodic addition to the general background? Who knows, besides Midiman.

Balancewise it's pretty good, and some of the pads are sounding great, but the bell can be pretty piercing, I think it should have been toned down slightly.

I'm not super excited by the melody in this, but this is an EXCELLENT track for having in the background. If I had an elite retail boutique I would have this in my playlist and watch the sales roll in. Fantastic background music. :-)

• 11 months later...

The only source connection I hear is those repeated six notes, and the vocoded in-game voice clip. It's a bit low, so no high marks on source or interpretation. But it's a great track that belongs on ocr, so I'm glad the standards weren't what they are today. It's a chill track, with chill atmospheric pads, bell rhythms, and well tied together with the voice clips... I normally don't evne like voice clips. Here they not only fit in perfectly, but I'd have a hard time imagining how this would work without them.

• 9 months later...

Well, with a name like "Mega Dance Mix" being remixed by a guy named MIDIMan, how can you possibly go wrong? :< This sounds like a recipe for MIDI-rip generi-trance disaster :tomatoface:

Honestly though, lack of source connections aside, it's pretty good. Nothing super-special, but the voice clips were good and the whole thing wasn't as boom-tiss as I expected. Nice pads, too. Nice work, I guess :-P It makes for great background music.

• 2 months later...

So this track somehow made it on one of my playlists recently and got me thinking once again - what did others think about it? Nice to actually see some reviews here. I was floored when I saw a music video remix of the game last year using this song in a competition.

I was never super happy with this track quite frankly and I look back on it now and think with more of a grimace than anything else. Yes, as in the purple McDonald's monster. The mix is actually rather shallow, there's no snare, and wtf was I thinking when I topped it with a laser kick?

The melody is purely associated to the Title Theme form the game. Nothing more. I used those few notes as a foundation for melodic development, which maybe breaks all of the new rules of today's OCRemix, but back in the day I thought it was a refreshing unique addition to the collection of remixes here. IMHO, it still pays homage to the game quite well.

So does this post mean I'm making a return and will start submitting tracks? I have about four of them lined up actually, but am still not entirely pleased. I've been listening to a ton of music this past month and have a lot of new inspiration - will likely be submitting something soon!

More than anything else, just been happy to see this community thrive!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00573 - Super Metroid "Mega Dance Mix 2002"