Tetris Attack Remix Project (Mixers: Sign up at the Forum)

Bren

Is it just me, or is the forum compleeetely dead?

And I'm going to see if I can drag my brother into helping me with a wip for Lava Panic. We'll see how that turns out by 7/15.

Yes, I just noticed that yesterday...I checked again just not and sure enough...yep...it no longer exists... I guess they delete forums which have no activity for X days.

At any rate, I think it was time for a new one anyway. This time a slightly better hosting site hopefully. Ill ask around and get opinions of different sites.

Commenting on V's WIP:

Nice delicate sound here. Piano sounds fairly well-performed albeit noticeably mechanical. Fairly straightforward but decent effects to fill out the soundfield, although things did feel sprase nonetheless.

Strings come in at :51 and sound REALLY lossy, the way a low-quality audio stream warbles. It really drags the whole things down whenever it's in play. Left-hand piano part from :51-1:02 sounds a bit too rigid and looped. Audio skip at 1:15; could be my file, who knows.

Woodwind synth joins in at 1:27. The synth sounds decent, but rather plain-jane. The overall effects meant to thicken the instruments are ok, but the track still manages to sound somewhat thin, like the reverb's simply there to overcome any shortcomings with the texture. More bass string writing in here might help fill it out.

2:16 rehashes the string writing from earlier (:54), which felt too samey since the texture and number of instruments in play isn't too much different than before. Harp brought in at 2:49 sounds a bit mechanically sequenced, but the writing is ok. Ending is rather sudden and anti-climactic. I see how you were trying to wind things down, but I don't feel it resolved very strongly.

Good ideas in place so far, and this is without comparing this to the original. It could simply be a matter of the samples chosen, but most of them sound pretty generic, and the processing involved doesn't really do anything to change the tones and create something that sounds more unique.

Tempo and style felt like an issue. If you're gonna have the tempo the same the whole way, the piece may need to evolve and change more drastically over the 3 3/4 minutes. Right now, the arrangement is promising, but it kind of drags.

You should really get some feedback from another available J just to get another perspective. I'll give some more comments once I have time to compare with the SPC.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to remind those who are joining in on the TARemix Project from the owner of Omnibus Hosting that I am still up for sponsoring your project so you guys can have a solid server to work from. If you can get a domain name I can get your account setup so you guys have a decent forum to run from.

• 3 weeks later...

Things have just been going a bit slow lately. I guess Summer just does that to people...nonetheless, people have still been sending in new WIPs and giving feedback, so we're still moving along. Im going to put up a new forum soon which will have permissions for project participants to view restricted sections where WIPs can be posted for all people involved in the project to see. I think this should be a good way to let the mixers help each other out, whether it be a collaboration, constructive criticism etc. Ill make a new post about this forum and its url once its all set up.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see the forums are back up. The new project forum can be found at http://taproject.mywebcafe.net/

Couldnt get the title on the top of the page to work for some reason...anyway, I would like project members to register there and post their WIPs. Also, from now on I would like to keep any updated WIPs confidential within the project.

Shortly, Ill be contacting members individually about WIPs to find if they're still in the project or not. Until then, keep mixing!

• 4 weeks later...
Commenting on V's WIP:

Nice delicate sound here. Piano sounds fairly well-performed albeit noticeably mechanical. Fairly straightforward but decent effects to fill out the soundfield, although things did feel sprase nonetheless.

Strings come in at :51 and sound REALLY lossy, the way a low-quality audio stream warbles. It really drags the whole things down whenever it's in play. Left-hand piano part from :51-1:02 sounds a bit too rigid and looped. Audio skip at 1:15; could be my file, who knows.

Woodwind synth joins in at 1:27. The synth sounds decent, but rather plain-jane. The overall effects meant to thicken the instruments are ok, but the track still manages to sound somewhat thin, like the reverb's simply there to overcome any shortcomings with the texture. More bass string writing in here might help fill it out.

2:16 rehashes the string writing from earlier (:54), which felt too samey since the texture and number of instruments in play isn't too much different than before. Harp brought in at 2:49 sounds a bit mechanically sequenced, but the writing is ok. Ending is rather sudden and anti-climactic. I see how you were trying to wind things down, but I don't feel it resolved very strongly.

Good ideas in place so far, and this is without comparing this to the original. It could simply be a matter of the samples chosen, but most of them sound pretty generic, and the processing involved doesn't really do anything to change the tones and create something that sounds more unique.

Tempo and style felt like an issue. If you're gonna have the tempo the same the whole way, the piece may need to evolve and change more drastically over the 3 3/4 minutes. Right now, the arrangement is promising, but it kind of drags.

You should really get some feedback from another available J just to get another perspective. I'll give some more comments once I have time to compare with the SPC.

It was weird seeing that without a big, bolded two or three letter word at the end.

We need to keep this moving. While a lot of project members have been making progress on their mixes, some seem to have vanished off of OCR, so I need to look into that, and if necessary, unfortunately, Ill have to remove some idle people from the project. As for now, Keep working on your tracks, send me PMs or IMs about new versions, contact others in the project as well. That's all for the time being.

• 3 weeks later...